PDA

View Full Version : What a difference 4 years makes

Matt
12-16-2008, 03:12 PM
About four years ago, I started up a 10g nano as a Christmas treat for my wife. We watched with awe (and horror) when our first coral, a little green mushroom) split. We spent countless hours peeking in at night to see what new critters might appear. Pods were an endless fascination. A nano is such an intimate look at the reef; it is all about the little things that are easy to overlook in a bigger tank.

A few months in, the tank bottom cracked late one night. It was our first crisis, and we flew around like panicked chickens getting it sorted out.

Four years later, I was cleaning that little nano, and found silicone loose all along one corner. Instead of a panic, it turned into a nice afternoon of picking up a new tank (15L this time) and transferring about 5 gallons from the old tank, and about 5 gallons from the larger tank (of course there's a larger tank... it's been 4 years), and setting it up again.

What a joy it was to feel the renewal and to see the new tank so pristine, and to see the fish exploring their new confines. What a horror to see the amount of crud that rinsed out of the rocks when we shook them in the change water before replacing them! What a nuisance it was to pick bristle worm spines out of my fingers for 2 hours.

This hobby.. just when I was starting to think.. "maybe we don't build that new tank into the new house..." it sparks a new burst of enthusiasm.

RIP 10g; Long live the 15L! And when the new big brother comes along, I will find a place for the nano.

fishytime
12-16-2008, 03:24 PM
It is rewarding to see the end result of all your hard work but for me it is so much fun setting building the tank and setting it up. Glad to hear you have re-kindled the flame. Now go big!:lol:

Matt
12-16-2008, 09:12 PM
Builds are frustrating, but I do love the problem solving aspects of it.