PDA

View Full Version : Fragging Elephant Ear Mushroom - How?

Carmen
12-16-2008, 01:33 AM
I have a beautiful huge Elephant Ear Mushroom (atleast 12" fully expanded) that is currently attached to 2 rocks. It is very awkward to place in the tank with the 2 rocks. Can I just cut the shroom inbetween the 2 rocks? There would be one mouth left on the one rock and 4 mouths on the other?
http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r474/ctash_album/Dectank011.jpg

argan
12-16-2008, 01:46 AM
I would use the sharpest knife you have, (non-serrated) And it should be fine to cut it between the rocks. You could even cut it up to separate the other mouths. I have fragged my mushrooms lots and they always heal no mater how badly I mangle them. Even if there is a piece with no mouth it will probably grow a new one.

fishytime
12-16-2008, 03:06 AM
I personally use a single edge razor blade or x-acto knife (clean cut) If you want to frag it then just slice it off as close to the rock as you can get. The bits of the foot will usually grow new shrooms. If you want it gone then you will have to scrape the bits off the rock or use a toothbrush or something like that. Take the cut mushroom and a frag plug and wrap it with wedding veil material and use an elastic to keep that on your frag plug (or whatever). Be prepared as the shroom may squirt you when you cut it.:wink: