PDA

View Full Version : CRP question

martym
12-15-2008, 06:49 PM
I was looking at my tank last night, and it dawned on me that if the aqualift were to quit or get plugged the main tank would quickly overflow. What do others do to have a safe guard so this doesn't happen? Other than having the tank drilled. :)

fkshiu
12-15-2008, 07:11 PM
Get a u-tube overflow like a Lifereef.

dabandit
12-15-2008, 07:17 PM
The chamber in my sump that my pump sits in is about 1/2 gallon,which my display can handle,you could make it even smaller if you use an auto top off. Worse case scenario I burn out a pump but I believe it has a thermal overload anyway.

dabandit
12-15-2008, 07:22 PM
And my sump holds enough capacity to take the water level down to the overflow just incase the pump does burn out and the flow starts again or the power goes out. 100%fool proof. You could even get a float valve for your pump so when sump water level drops the pump shuts off

untamed
12-15-2008, 07:41 PM
I was looking at my tank last night, and it dawned on me that if the aqualift were to quit or get plugged the main tank would quickly overflow. What do others do to have a safe guard so this doesn't happen? Other than having the tank drilled. :)

I ran a CPR overflow for many years. I don't think that what you've said is completely accurate. You should be able to shut off the aqualift pump and nothing should really change.

Now...if the aqualift remained off for days...things will eventually go bad...but nothing should happen immediately.

I didn't use an aqualift pump...I had the top of the overflow connected to the venturi of a powerhead. Even if the powerhead was off, or the venturi plugged...the system is still closed (vaccuum), so you shouldn't have an immediate failure of the siphon.

martym
12-15-2008, 07:51 PM
If I disconnect the aqualift the siphon stops. So it will over flow.Which I think is stupid.

The oceanic sump isn't that well designed, i don't think I can control the last compartment where the return pump is.

dabandit
12-15-2008, 07:52 PM
I think he's talking about the overflow failing,not the pump. Can and does happen,twice for me though my tank is drilled.

dabandit
12-15-2008, 07:56 PM
ahh I see the problem. Step1 sell sump,step2 build a sump around your equipment. My pump out chamber holds my water level at optimum for my skimmer(no fluctuation either) and prevents my display from overflowing. Cost me 20$ for sump tank and 12$ for the acrylic baffles the silicone I had.

fiorano
12-15-2008, 07:58 PM
maybe you could drain your sump for a few hours and just add a last baffle right before your pump so there would be less water for it to pump into your tank if it did fail . but then you have to make sure you watch out for evaporation and such. just an idea.

robert J
12-15-2008, 07:58 PM
Once a month I disconnect the pump, take the pump out and put 2 hoses inside a very warm water bowl, let it run for 5 minutes as instruction say when I bought it, never have any problems and it runs like new again.

martym
12-15-2008, 09:23 PM
been doing that, but still if something happens, I'm in trouble. I tried to tell the wife that the only way for me to avoid it was a bigger tank that has an overflow built in. She didn't buy it.
Can't blame me for trying :)