PDA

View Full Version : Hydnopora question

dabandit
12-15-2008, 03:54 PM
Ok,I broke my 75g in half when I was moving so I want to permanentlly move my hydno to my 10g nano. Question is on average how long are its sweeper tentacles having never seen them myself,I was warned when I bought it but I never had an issue in my 75.
Thanks in advance

untamed
12-15-2008, 04:43 PM
Anything within 2"-3" would be at risk. My observation is that other coral grows much closer than that, but when the attack comes everything within 2"-3" will be killed.

dabandit
12-15-2008, 05:02 PM
Thank you,I'll go 5'' to be safe. I just had these visions in my head of 12'' sweepers wiping out my whole tank lol

GreenSpottedPuffer
12-15-2008, 07:17 PM
Whoa! 2"-3"? I better move mine then I think.

How often do they extend the sweeper tentacles then? I have had mine for a while, its about 6"x4" and quite close to a bunch of gorgonians. The polyps or tentacles are always out but never more than like 1/2" or so. I guess I better be careful!

dabandit
12-15-2008, 07:28 PM
Ive had mine about a month and have never seen them extend past 1/2 inch either. But alot of people including the lfs say its a bad stinger with long tentacles,better safe than stooopid I allways say

GreenSpottedPuffer
12-15-2008, 07:37 PM
Ive had mine about a month and have never seen them extend past 1/2 inch either. But alot of people including the lfs say its a bad stinger with long tentacles,better safe than stooopid I allways say

Oh I totally agree. I knew they were very bad stingers, I just did not know they had long sweepers. Mine just always looks really fuzzy, like it has thousands of polyps and then once in a while they get what I thought was really long at about 1/2"...I can't imagine 2-3". That would look so cool though.

Lance
12-15-2008, 07:42 PM
I have a fairly large Hydno and the sweepers are probably about 1.5 to 2 inches long. They almost always are out at night but once in a while they are out during the day. Helluva a sting; stung the crap out of a digi that I had too close.

GreenSpottedPuffer
12-15-2008, 07:46 PM
I have a fairly large Hydno and the sweepers are probably about 1.5 to 2 inches long. They almost always are out at night but once in a while they are out during the day. Helluva a sting; stung the crap out of a digi that I had too close.

Do they come out every night?

I wonder if mine is just not happy.

Lance
12-15-2008, 08:06 PM
Do they come out every night?

I wonder if mine is just not happy.

Mine don't seem to come out every night; in fact, they don't come out that often; unless it is very late and I'm not seeing them.

dabandit
12-15-2008, 08:16 PM
Mine swells like a balloon at night,the only time I've noticed sweepers is when it was agrivated. Maybe its a defense mechinisim,just guessing here.
It sure is purdy though lol

Snappy
12-15-2008, 10:15 PM
In my experience they usually only extend when there is something nearby it wants to eat. I had an acro beside one for months (about 2-3") and then out of nowhere one day it looked like a big spider web was covering it that was coming from the hydnophora. That acro was toast.

GreenSpottedPuffer
12-15-2008, 10:22 PM
In my experience they usually only extend when there is something nearby it wants to eat. I had an acro beside one for months (about 2-3") and then out of nowhere one day it looked like a big spider web was covering it that was coming from the hydnophora. That acro was toast.

Good to know. I moved mine a bit farther away from the gorgonians.

Aquattro
12-15-2008, 11:10 PM
FWIW, I had blue mushrooms once that killed my hydno, so some things can get closer. Just not other SPS :)

GreenSpottedPuffer
12-15-2008, 11:45 PM
FWIW, I had blue mushrooms once that killed my hydno, so some things can get closer. Just not other SPS :)

I think mushrooms can kill anything really. Mushrooms, Green Star Polyps and Xenia seem to be indestructible and grow right over other corals.

chandigz
12-16-2008, 01:17 AM
Only if mine touched something did you ever see sweepers(1 1/2"+). And man could they ever cause damage.

reeferious
12-16-2008, 01:31 AM
my 8 inch square fluorescent hydno never hurt anything as nearest thing is 1 inch away from it. i find that if other corals ie: monti, poci, most acros. birdsnest etc that dont send out sweepers can live almost within touching distance of hydnos.