PDA

View Full Version : Tank heaters revisited

my2rotties
12-15-2008, 07:20 AM
I NEVER submerse my tank heaters because it says right on the box not to do so. When I change my water, I unplug the heater so it does not explode when it gets wet again (did that by accident).

We were in an LFS and of course my hubby saw the heaters submersed and I got razzed for being so anal. Well tonight my hubby forgot to unplug the heater like I always do. It exploded and I am getting the "If it was submersed it never would have happened in the first place".

I just feel this is a no brainer since it says right on the box and right on the heater NOT to submerse it under water. Then there is a little picture showing how much the water level should be sitting at.

Who wins, myself or the hubby in this one?

purplepolypeater
12-15-2008, 12:30 PM
some heaters are submersible alot are not...

Leah
12-15-2008, 12:40 PM
Glad someone brought this up as I have always used jager and have always submersed
them. Would be interesting to hear what others do? Or you more experienced aquarists
out there. Out of curiousity what brand are you and hubby using?

m_wonnacott
12-15-2008, 12:51 PM
One thing I wound is that some will say on the front submersible heater, but then if you read the back they say not it fully submerse them.

dabandit
12-15-2008, 01:17 PM
Fully submersible or not they usually have a max/min line on them. Just yesterday I came home to find my wifes heater (fully submerged) had leaked water into it and was arcing out two fish dead, so im with you on that one.
Why dont you put it somewhere where your water doesnt fluctuate,but then again I doubt hubby will make that mistake again lol

MASDman
12-15-2008, 01:41 PM
Stealth heaters are fully submersible but also come with a safety auto shut off guard that detects that if it out of water, then it shuts down the heater. Worth every penny. I recently forgot to unplug a partially submersible heater and only by smelling burnt recliner fabric was able to save it before it exploded! Thankfully the armchair recliner is none too worse for the wear as well. Lesson learned though, when in doubt, just but a stealth and you'll never have this issue.

Parker
12-15-2008, 02:09 PM
If i remember correctly. I believe they have to have a MAX water level on them in order for them to pass Canadian standards. In Canada no heaters are considered submersible, but doesn't mean they can't be submersed. I can't remember where I heard or read it so I could be VERY wrong.

StirCrazy
12-15-2008, 02:21 PM
all submersible heaters sold in Canada will have a "do not submerse in water" some where on them as according to our electrical standards there is nothing that qualifies to be a submersible heater. so yes they are submersible depending on which ones they are, and yes you should always unplug them when doing a water change. so you are both right.

Steve

Snaz
12-15-2008, 02:24 PM
If i remember correctly. I believe they have to have a MAX water level on them in order for them to pass Canadian standards. In Canada no heaters are considered submersible, but doesn't mean they can't be submersed. I can't remember where I heard or read it so I could be VERY wrong.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/ht-v050/Visitherm+Heater+-+50+Watt.html

Pescador
12-15-2008, 02:28 PM
These titanium heaters work great for me but you have to use them with a controller.
They shut off automatically if they are out of the water and you don't have to worry about dropping a rock on them.
http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/693/Titanium-Heaters

my2rotties
12-15-2008, 05:36 PM
My heaters do not like they are sealed enough on the top to chance submersing them. I got bugged at the LFS but still insisted they should not be submersed since they said not to do so... Electricity in water just seems like a real bad idea if it says not to submerse. The last thing the previous home owners said was not to submerse the heaters and he lost a tank full of fish when he did so once by accident.

That would be a show stopper if anything...

Pan
12-15-2008, 05:57 PM
Heaters have to be the most brought up and controversial aspect of have an aquarium, seems the most money potentially lost on one of the cheapest things. I'm still looking for "fireplugs" of the kind on oregonreef.com (I had one sent but it was damaged in shipping, got a refund but no more were available) That combined with an aquadyne controller....or maybe a simple ranco...or maybe a "KevCo" controller :)

my2rotties
12-15-2008, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the heads up on heaters, we bought them a few months ago before knowing very much. Hubby has to go pick one up today when he gets my Zebra Mantis for my refugium later in that day. I know he will be asking which ones can be submersed since it was never a question before. If the box says don't do it, I follow what the box says. Mind you most men do things and consult the instruction when they have a small hang up.:lol:

Getting the "I told you so" from hubby about the heater exploding is one thing. My "I told you so" for zapping my tank of livestock would not be so sweet in the end

brizzo
12-15-2008, 06:18 PM
I use ebo heaters, but I try not to submerse them. The thermostat dial moves on the outside, and of course moves something on the inside; so in my mind that tells me water COULD get inside somehow.

When possible I don't submerge them, like in my main setup. But I have stock tank full of rock, and the heater is somewhere in the bottom :microwav:

jasond
12-15-2008, 06:42 PM
I use two stealth heaters, 100w, fully submersed and they have given no problems whatsoever, definately happy with this purchase.

Jay180reef
12-15-2008, 07:31 PM
I use the 500W Jalli titanium heaters with controllers. Just make sure you turn them off and let them cool down before taking them out of the water...the heaters have a fuse that will burst and you can't replace it!

mike31154
12-15-2008, 08:27 PM
I use ebo heaters, but I try not to submerse them. The thermostat dial moves on the outside, and of course moves something on the inside; so in my mind that tells me water COULD get inside somehow.

When possible I don't submerge them, like in my main setup. But I have stock tank full of rock, and the heater is somewhere in the bottom :microwav:

I'm with Nazerine on this one. There is a mechanical linkage on most heaters to dial in the desired temperature. That mechanical linkage is the weak 'link' in the case of this type of heater. The fewer electrical cords in the water the better off you are. Standards, schmandards, while I agree they are needed, essential even, I've also seen and heard of sufficient mishaps with equipment certified to a certain standard. When it comes to electricity and water I prefer to err on the side of caution. I keep my heater within the waterline markings at all times and turn it off well before lowering the water level or removing it.

I do have a small powerhead with a partially submerged cord running my skimmer, but there is no linkage involved as is the case with the heater. It's completely encased in epoxy with nothing entering except the cord itself. So I'm putting my trust into the integrity of the insulation and epoxy. If I could figure out a way to raise it a little without running the pump dry, I'd do it in a heartbeat. My safety valve in this case is that it is connected to a GFCI ciruit so that if I happen to become the path to ground for 120 volts AC, the GFCI will trip before there's sufficient current flow to take me out. My other power head is a VorTech which has all the electrical components on the outside of the tank. If you're submerging your powerheads, look at getting the newer 12 or 24 volt DC types when the time comes to replace them. Lower voltage poses much less danger near or in the water. The trend with the newer controllable power heads is DC voltage vs 120 volt AC. Safety is one reason and ease of control is the other.

sphelps
12-15-2008, 08:32 PM
You're both wrong, you shouldn't use heaters in saltwater that can't be fully submersed. You're also better off using the titanium heaters since they don't smash and the seals are better.

Cut your losses and the arguments, buy new titanium heaters and split the cost.

Pan
12-15-2008, 09:24 PM
You're both wrong, you shouldn't use heaters in saltwater that can't be fully submersed. You're also better off using the titanium heaters since they don't smash and the seals are better.

:sad::fadein::redface::fadein::twised::fadein: :idea:

Red Coral Aquariums
12-15-2008, 09:35 PM
The titanium submersible heaters with external controllers are the way to go.
From the directions sheet.
" The titanium tubing resists corrosion caused by salt water or ph fluctuation of water"
On the other hand many submersible glass heaters do not specify if they are salt water resistant. I am slowly changing the store over to the titanium heaters as I am tired of getting shocked. Logic states keep the electronics out of the water. LOL

mytworotties;
You are doing everything correctly (unplugging during H2O change and keeping the electronics out of the water) but if you want a true submersible you would need a titanium element with controller.

Cheers
Kevin

brizzo
12-15-2008, 09:53 PM

I'm not sure what we're right or wrong about ?? I was agreeing they aren't designed to be submerged, yet people do.

Whats the difference using heaters in salt vs fresh ? Salt creep penetrating ?

mark
12-15-2008, 10:07 PM
leaky and broken heaters, another reason for a GFI

StirCrazy
12-15-2008, 11:26 PM
EBO Jagers are submersable heaters, the funny thing is in canada they will say not to submerse them under water but in the US they are a submersable heater, I have used them for many years in both fresh and salt water tanks submersed, along with a few other brands. Having said that I will not use Ebo Jagers anymore, when they fail they have over an 80% change of failing on, along with most other heaters you can buy. and I cooked a frag tank that way.

I do like the titanium ones, which is funny as they even say not submersable on the package hehe, but I hat ones that were sold in the US so they worked :wink:

thee is also a new one which is ceramic and so far I like that one also.

Steve

Canadian
12-15-2008, 11:34 PM
http://www.beananimal.com/articles/aquarium-heaters-what-you-need-to-know!.aspx

Another opinion.

trilinearmipmap
12-16-2008, 12:28 AM
I've gone through a couple of titanium heaters (with external controller) and both heaters failed on me so I gave up on them.

Currently using Stealth submerged heaters with no problems so far.

my2rotties
12-16-2008, 05:37 AM
That is what my husband came home with today. It has an outside heat control and I feel much better about it now.