PDA

View Full Version : Is there an award for being a reef dummy head?

my2rotties
12-15-2008, 07:14 AM
Well yesterday we were doing a water change in the sump room, and still don't have a huge container and float...

I started filling a bucket with RO water, and well... got distracted for oh, about two hours...:neutral:

I went next door and came home and cleaned the kitchen and GOSH, I remembered the water. :eggface::eggface::eggface: Needless to say my husband wasn't very thrilled with me. Mind you he was so darned glad it was my move and not his. He was down there when I started filling the bucket so I feel I should be allowed to blame him bey default... he saw it start to go down and forgot about it himself, right?

It took about two hours with the shop vac to clean it up. The sump room does not have an emergency drain, since it is originally a hubby room.

Guess what I did again tonight. :lol: Not that bad this time, but the making of Sharkwater was on, and I forgot. DO I won a prize people? Anything?

mark
12-15-2008, 12:44 PM
no award for that since they would have to make so many.

Go get the garbage can and humidifier float.

lorenz0
12-15-2008, 12:45 PM
it happens to the best of us. I think everyone has left the RO on once or twice

i have crabs
12-15-2008, 12:53 PM
i now stick the bucket in the sink (laundry sink) when i make just a bucket at a time.
im gonna go buy a sprinkler timer so i can just crank the time to run for a hour or 2 at a time

MASDman
12-15-2008, 01:31 PM
welcome to the flooded floor club :)

Floop70
12-15-2008, 02:30 PM
ahahaha. I wish I had only done it twice. At the start I'd forget it probably 80 percent of the time. I fill 18 litre water jugs and place them in a 5 gallon pail for a little extra capacity. Lucky for me there's a floor drain right there though. :D I've gotten much better now though and rarely forget.

martym
12-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Yes there is, and I own it :) done that many times. I fill my water upstairs. One time my son came runn1ng upstairs yelling that the roof is leaking!!! What a mess.

fdiddy
12-15-2008, 02:53 PM
Yes there is, and I own it :) done that many times. I fill my water upstairs. One time my son came runn1ng upstairs yelling that the roof is leaking!!! What a mess.

+1 Been there! Luckily we were just starting demo for renos...

Mrfish55
12-15-2008, 03:45 PM
I've been trying to fit 50 gallons into a 20 gallon container for at least 20 years and cant figure it out, if you can please share.

Aquattro
12-15-2008, 03:58 PM
I've been trying to fit 50 gallons into a 20 gallon container for at least 20 years and cant figure it out, if you can please share.

you need to use the square 20g. 50 gallons won't fit in a round 20g container, I've tried.

my2rotties
12-15-2008, 03:59 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

fishoholic
12-15-2008, 04:09 PM
you need to use the square 20g. 50 gallons won't fit in a round 20g container, I've tried.

:lol: So that's the trick! :lol: I've spilled more water then I can remember. The worse was an extra large rubbermaid container of curing live rock, it sprung a leak and the water spilled all over the floor!

Parker
12-15-2008, 04:15 PM
I'm pretty good with the RO but I have a habit of shooting water out of the tank with powerheads while blowing off the rocks.

my2rotties
12-15-2008, 05:31 PM
That's a wonderful idea!!! Mind you to stay focused on timing out how long we need to have the timer going will be the challenge. There are always a million more interesting things to do rather then watch water into a pail. :razz: I have made almost to the end, and the dogs wanted in, the phone rang, went to refill my java...

The bucket in the sink is a great idea but the lines are not long enough to do it. I was thinking to go to UFA to get a very big water storage drum or plastic rain barrel, but I am not sure if the plastic will leech toxins or not.

Anyone use anything aside of rubbermaid garbage cans for water? At least I could probably wait all night before flooding the basement or something. My husband was able to install the sink, but not close to where he plumbed the RO unit. He did not think we needed a sink but changed his mind later in the project.

i now stick the bucket in the sink (laundry sink) when i make just a bucket at a time.
im gonna go buy a sprinkler timer so i can just crank the time to run for a hour or 2 at a time

Lance
12-15-2008, 05:33 PM

Oh for Chrissakes; why didn't you tell me this earlier?

X-Treme
12-15-2008, 06:50 PM
Doesn't anyone have timers in thier houses? It takes me roughly 73ish minutes to fill an 18L water jug, so I set the timer on the microwave for 73 minutes and go down and wait 2 more min for the last 3 inches or so. Haven't spilled a drop yet.

my2rotties
12-15-2008, 07:12 PM
The day before I spent time downstairs with my iphone stopwatch timing how long everything fills. Then an alarm would go off when the time went by... The next day were downstairs and I didn't bring the phone down with me.:lol:

Its a no brainer to time things, but I never said I had much for brains to begin with. :wink:

Doesn't anyone have timers in thier houses? It takes me roughly 73ish minutes to fill an 18L water jug, so I set the timer on the microwave for 73 minutes and go down and wait 2 more min for the last 3 inches or so. Haven't spilled a drop yet.

Jay180reef
12-15-2008, 07:26 PM
Oh ya, I would go to bed and flood the kitchen floor with RO, the worst was when a prestage filter burst in the RO unit and the flow rate went up 400%, my 2hr brute can fill took 30mins, and I noticed it an hour too late :(

Mrfish55
12-15-2008, 07:48 PM
I am solving my problem once and for all, I just got back from the plumbing store with a soleniod water valve that will hook up to a float switch, when the reservoir is full the water is automatically shut off, total cost $35.00.

Jay180reef
12-15-2008, 07:50 PM
hmm, I have one of those solenoid valves in the humidifyer on the furnace...maybe I'll 'borrow' it!

fiorano
12-15-2008, 08:03 PM
lol i must say ive done that about 6 times where everything floods. its at the point now where if my boss suddenly cant find me he knows i must've left the water on at my house hahaha. im lucky though everythime i left my sump filling to top it off i catch it about 1/2 an inch from the top