PDA

View Full Version : angels for a reef

tgoeujon
12-15-2008, 03:50 AM
thinking about getting an angel for my 125 sps dominated reef. looking for suggestions on reef suitable angels.

niloc16
12-15-2008, 03:53 AM
well i dont think any are 'suitable' per say but i have had a flame angel for a couple years and i have had emperor juve for 6 months with no issues either. its dependent on the fish i think

tgoeujon
12-15-2008, 03:57 AM
i like the flames but im kinda hopin some people have had luck with the blue faced angels, or the imperators are pretty too. lol what is it in particular that angels go after, lps, sps ,softies?

justinl
12-15-2008, 04:15 AM
I believe they have a large preference towards sps but have a particular special spot for sponges; i could see them picking at lps and softies too though. the problem with a lot of angels is that they are largely hardwired to these foods and often just won't accept prepared foods. Make sure whatever food you offer is rich in sponge content. I have heard that coral beauties are the least likely to pick coral within the angelfish; lol which makes them 50/50 really. blue faced and imperators are usually kept in FOWLRs for a reason; probably are a few exceptions... there always are... but i doubt there's more than a few. im no angel expert though.

Keri
12-15-2008, 04:58 AM
Any of the Genicanthus angels are reef safe.

rstar
12-15-2008, 05:03 AM
I have a Lamarcks Angel, very pretty fish and totally reef safe, i havent seen too many around

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r302/rstar26/P1010158.jpg

fkshiu
12-15-2008, 05:56 AM
Any of the Genicanthus angels are reef safe.

Bingo! Lamark's, Wantanabe and the one I have, Bellus, are all reef safe and beautiful as well.

Trigger Man
12-15-2008, 05:57 AM
I found angels that I have kept left my sponges alone, but if they did start to pick on my corals it always began with my zoas.

fishoholic
12-15-2008, 04:15 PM
My large angels (blueface, queen, emperor, & blue ring) eat zoos and most leather corals. They pick at my colt coral and my tree coral but they don't seem to do any real damage. They leave my LPS and ugly brown zoos alone. I don't have sps but I wouldn't trust them with sps. My coral beauty has never gone after any corals.