PDA

View Full Version : Pseudochromis fridmani aka Orchid Dottyback

Snaz
12-14-2008, 11:24 PM
This is Inara our Orchid Dottyback, a spectacular fish.

http://snaz.com/marine/inara.jpg

Keri
12-14-2008, 11:43 PM
TWO

I see TWO sexy shrimp!!

(Beautiful fish ;) )

marie
12-14-2008, 11:46 PM
Don't orchid dottybacks eat small shrimp?

Keri
12-15-2008, 12:05 AM
Maybe that's why there were 3 in the last pic? :wink:

Snaz
12-15-2008, 12:25 AM
Maybe that's why there were 3 in the last pic? :wink:

So far they have lived in harmony for about 3 months, the dottyback is starting to grow so perhaps in the future she might take a bite.

Keri
12-15-2008, 12:59 AM
heh heh... I have two sexies living peacefully with a yellow wrasse so anything's possible.

But what I was really referring to was your "spot the shrimp" pic ;)

Tom R
12-15-2008, 03:44 AM
One of the most spectacular fish available.
Orchid Dottyback's have attitude. Dottyback's are always active moving in and out through your rock work. You should however be careful with other fish choices when you have any Dottyback. I have an Orchid Dottyback in my 125G and a Neon Dottyback in my 180G.

Tom R

Snaz
12-15-2008, 04:26 AM
heh heh... I have two sexies living peacefully with a yellow wrasse so anything's possible.

But what I was really referring to was your "spot the shrimp" pic ;)

Yah that was a bit of fun. I hope I didn't strain too many eyes with that picture. ;)

Snaz
12-15-2008, 04:30 AM
One of the most spectacular fish available.
Orchid Dottyback's have attitude. Dottyback's are always active moving in and out through your rock work. You should however be careful with other fish choices when you have any Dottyback. I have an Orchid Dottyback in my 125G and a Neon Dottyback in my 180G.

The Orchid Dotty is one of two fishes in my small tank, the dotty has a nice rabbit warren under the rock and the clown has the open water column. The two fish at first were a little apprehensive towards each other but now they are good buddies and even hang out together. I am preparing a modest website of my nano and it will include a write-up of these two fish. I choose the P. fridmani because of it's reputation as the most peaceful of the Dottybacks.

fishytime
12-15-2008, 05:00 AM
Cool fish and great pic!

Snappy
12-15-2008, 06:26 AM
I've had my orchid dottyback for 2 years and love it. It's been a model tank mate.

Delphinus
12-15-2008, 07:39 AM
Ditto that. Only thing is I found they don't necessarily like each other. Apparently they can do OK in pairs so long as you have 1 male and 1 female (there apparently is a difference in the eyes to be able to tell them apart .. something like that anyhow). But 2 of the same gender is a no-no.

Snappy
12-15-2008, 03:21 PM
Ditto that. Only thing is I found they don't necessarily like each other. Apparently they can do OK in pairs so long as you have 1 male and 1 female (there apparently is a difference in the eyes to be able to tell them apart .. something like that anyhow). But 2 of the same gender is a no-no.
I started with 2 but after 18 months of fighting I lost one about 6 months ago. I was told it was a pair but I think they goofed on their ID.

Tom R
12-15-2008, 04:45 PM
When I first got my Neon Dottyback I already had a Royal Gram. They never fought however over a 2 week period the Dottyback kept the Gram in a hole in the rocks. The Gram just starved. The Dottyback is a great hunter and will eat any and all pods it can find, it will also eat most other foods you put into your tank. Any fish like Dragonets that usually only eat pods may find it hard to exist with a Dottyback in the same tank.

Tom R