PDA

View Full Version : emergency! need help in burnaby!

smokinreefer
05-11-2003, 09:49 PM
i just came home and my wife says my tank is gonna blow up!!!
it cracked on the bottom and i think i'll need some help ASAP!
please respond to this thread if you have some large rubbbermaid container or similar that i can house some things in temporarily, heaters etc.or if you have a flatbed truck, to transport a new tank, or if you have a tank that is 6' x 2'wide available!! or lots of time tonight to give me a hand.
i am just gonna head out and look for a new tank right now.

please leave a number i can contact you at if you can help out.
thanks

DJ88
05-11-2003, 10:07 PM
Shao,

If you need my truck let me know. I can't help out at the moment cause I am at school programming like mad.. but I am not far away. You can use it.

damn.....

smokinreefer
05-11-2003, 10:31 PM
i will be scraping alot of anthelia off the glass, free for pick up if you come by asap.

smokinreefer
05-12-2003, 12:40 AM
because i am getting stung like there is no tommorrow, any large bristle worms i find will be discarded, free for the taking if you want them, let me know asap and i may hold them for a day.

Aquattro
05-12-2003, 12:41 AM
Sorr to hear that Shao, wish I were closer!! Keep us posted...

smokinreefer
05-12-2003, 01:12 AM
anthelia has been used as a sacrificial lamb to the reef gods and has now been given to them via the porcelain god!

p.s. my pc is right beside my reef, thats why i can keep posting!
plus i need some breaks to clear my head! :cry:

Tigger
05-12-2003, 01:15 AM
Shao

Sorry to hear about your tank.

I have a starfoam cooler, some 5 Gallon pails and a few heaters you could borrow.

I will PM you with my number if you need it.

Steve

Jack
05-12-2003, 02:06 AM
Yah, that's gotta suck Shao. It's everyones worse nightmare :neutral:

Keep us posted...

You are asking for an overflow in the buy/sell, does that mean you got a new tank but undrilled?

smokinreefer
05-12-2003, 03:12 AM
hey jack...
i'm still emptying the tank now...
as for the new tank, i need one asap and the only thing i can find with the same footprint as my tank are 180s, and i havent been able to find one instock that is predrilled or has a built in overflow.
so i think i'm gonna get a 180 and then i'll have to plumb an external overflow on it later.
i found a 155 bowfront but their asking 1500 which is way outta my budget.
even the cost of a 180 is gonna hurt, but what can you do...
i was tinkering with the idea of downsizing, but for me, that would require a custom tank, but i just dont have the time to wait for it.

zulu_principle
05-12-2003, 03:35 AM
Shoa

Dont have your number but call me at 604-948-0061.

Wendell

psuedo
05-12-2003, 03:47 AM
hey Shao, I am just five minutes away if you need a hand. I can lend you a heater and a rubbermaid container if it helps. My # is (604)838-7201. I already know where you live as I got the green star polyps off you a week ago. Give me a call and I'll help out

StirCrazy
05-12-2003, 03:55 AM
shao I hope things are going as good as they can.. it kinda sucks with the ferries or I would have been on the way with 5 big rubbermaids and a couple aquaclears and heaters..

keep us posted on the progress and lets see some pics of the tank when you expose it .

Steve

SuperFudge
05-12-2003, 04:28 AM
Shao,

I have a 160-180 gal tub with 2-2" bulkheads your welcome to use until you find a tank.

Give me a shout.

sumpfinfishe
05-12-2003, 05:04 AM
Shao if you need a hand tonight, let me know as I could pop by to help with all the crazyness :eek:

or if you still have my # call me, Rich

1bigstud
05-12-2003, 05:17 AM
I dont know you and am fairly new to the hobby so I'm kind of inexperienced but If I can help in anyway feel free to page me @6044507082

Rick

Shadetree
05-12-2003, 06:53 AM
Shao,

My 245 is in storage and looking for a new home. It is the same footprint, just taller. PM if you are interested.

Scott

Jack
05-12-2003, 06:58 AM
245 :eek:

Don't tempt him :wink:

Ah hell, go for it Shao! WEeeeeeee :lol:

BTW, how are things going?

canadawest
05-12-2003, 08:05 AM
Hey Shao,

I know I'm getting into this conversation late, but if you need any help at all or need a place for things let me know, if I can help out I will.

I have my 10 gal refugium, 12 gal nursery tank, or even my display tank if you need to stock corals or fish for a bit.

I'm free on and off for most of the day tomorrow so call me and if I can help out I will definitely.

604-649-8406

Van down by the river
05-12-2003, 08:11 AM
I've got a 60 gallon acrylic never used you can borrow for awhile. I'll PM you.

Dorkel Marine 1
05-12-2003, 08:42 AM
Shao. Shoot thats awful. I have 2 rubber maid containers. I can bring them over right away if you would like. i also have room for a few things in my 27 gal tank. Give me a shout at 941-0719.

George

smokinreefer
05-12-2003, 10:06 AM
thanks for all the reponses and offers for help. i really appreciate it.

i think i got everything under control now, everything is in my 20, my sump, my old 40 and a couple large tubs.

i went to look at some tanks earlier today and all i can find are 180s that are not predrilled, that is they dont have built in overflows. and i would really prefer a tank with built in overflows and euro bracing or 2 thin braces as oppossed to 1 large brace like my "old" tank had.

so i will be spending the next day or so trying to track down a suitable tank, order one, or possibly do a dramatic downsize.

but i will decide quickly as i am not comfortable housing all this livestock in impromtu housing.

again thanks for all your offers of help and support.

Old Guy
05-12-2003, 12:21 PM
Total bummer Shao. Call me if I can be of any use.

Orion
05-12-2003, 03:33 PM
Shao,

Offer is still open if you need any help. Here is my # 604-591-1841

There's some room in my tank if you need to house some corals until you get your new tank.

Brian

robbyville
05-12-2003, 04:09 PM
Hey shao,

I'm sure that you've already looked at this, but Wendell had a couple of very nice tanks at reasonable prices. I'm pretty sure there was a 180 that had 2 overflows pre-installed for $800.

It sounds like all is under control, but if I can be of help setting anything up I am off Sat/Sun and can drive down.

Rob

Delphinus
05-12-2003, 05:08 PM
The recent spate of tank failures is somewhat alarming..

Sorry to hear about your situation, Shao. Good luck getting things settled and back to normal once you've found your replacement tank.

smokinreefer
05-12-2003, 06:13 PM
i guess i shoulda knew there would be some casualties, but this is very disheartening to me...
my multibarred angel has past away. :cry: :evil: :cry:

christyf5
05-12-2003, 07:26 PM
Oh Shao, thats so sad :frown: . Sorry to hear about the angel it was a cool looking fish. So have you had any luck with a new tank yet??

Christy :)

Jack
05-12-2003, 07:35 PM
That was a nice fish! :cry:
Wasn't that your favorite? :neutral:

Good luck finding a tank. All these tank failures lately is freaking me out. Personally, I don't know how I would deal with something like this...

Van down by the river
05-12-2003, 10:21 PM
I'll see what I can do about getting you a new multibar angel when you are stable again.

smokinreefer
05-12-2003, 11:14 PM
hey everyone...
i appreciate all the responses and support...

at this point in time, i cannot find a tank instock that i like. so i will probably need to order one...maybe even downsize. i am very disheartened, frustrated and i really need to clear my mind and think things through.

but my problem, is that i am very uncomfortable keeping all my stuff in holding tanks/tubs...especially after loosing my angel.

i would like to know if anyone would be able to house my livestock, i really do not want to loose anything else and i am afraid my only other option would be to set up a new tank in haste and risk loosing everything by putting the livestock in a brand new system, or selling everything off.
which i dont want to do.

i know some of you have already offered, but can you please respond again or PM me again, thanks.

Son Of Skyline
05-13-2003, 05:56 AM
Hey Shao...wish I saw this thread earlier!! You're free to house whatever in my tank. My tank is still pretty new so there's lots of room for anything. The only problem may be that I'm going through another algae phase. It's on the decline right now but still there. I could house any corals and stuff. I'd rather not put any fish in the tank or they might be too hard to remove. Anyhow let me know how I can help. I'm on vacation for the next two weeks so I'm free during the day and most evenings :)

604-808-6990

smokinreefer
05-13-2003, 09:40 AM
hey guys,
i still need more fostercare for some corals!
if you offered, and i havent talked to you yet, dont worry i will!

most of the fish should be taken care of...
still lots of sps that need to be adopted...also one large derasa needs a home too.

DJ88
05-13-2003, 06:31 PM
how's it looking so far?

smokinreefer
05-13-2003, 06:37 PM
hey,
well the tank is emptied, but still needs to be cleaned out.
i should have most of the livestock parted out thursday.
still working on a new tank.

so far i have lost my angel and a cleaner shrimp.

smokinreefer
05-13-2003, 06:44 PM
i have some rather large corals, or corals on large pieces of liverock, that probably isnt practical to transport. so i will probably need to set up atleast one temp tank.

does anyone have some lighting set ups that they are not currently using, that i can borrow in the interim?

DJ88
05-13-2003, 06:47 PM
I may be able to throw together a 4 VHO system for you Shao..

Have harnesses to run this ballast as either 2 or 4 VHO's. up to 4'.

Acro
05-13-2003, 07:10 PM
Shao,

I have a 400 watt radium set up you can borrow for a bit. You'd have to pick it up though which might not work for you. Either way its here if you need it.

DJ88
05-13-2003, 07:21 PM
Shao,

Can definately get a VHO set up together for you. Will need two pairs of endcaps tho. I am using two pair on my tub o goodies.

have some 3' lamps as well.

smokinreefer
05-14-2003, 04:30 AM
as for the lighting...
i may just tear my hood apart and rig something up to use my current lights, otherwise i may be in touch with you guys.

now i need to vent, i have more deaths today. but i feel soooo responsible, its sucks. i had a cucumber in one of the tubs...and it got sucked into a PH and shredded. there were a couple corals in there that may be dead, including my large green star polyp (the ones that were continually spawning)and porites rock, and a couple different montis...and a couple frags. but the thing that hurts is that my yellow tang was in there.
he was one of my fattest fish. :cry:

of crap! my pistol shrimp/goby pair was in there too! :cry:

everything else seems to be holding up OK. geez a that rate i may be looking at a big downgrade. anyhooo, i will be in touch with you fostercare parents tommorrow to make arrangements for a thursday pickup/drop off of most of my remaining livetock.

thanks again everybody.

smokinreefer
05-14-2003, 05:24 AM
ahhh @%@$@#^#$!!!
i just finished doing cleaning that tub out, so i can do a complete waterchange and what other carcass to i see...my blue sided fairy wrasse...i forgot he was in there too. bummer.

pocilipora
05-14-2003, 05:57 AM
Ive got 2 400 watt iwasakis and a heater if needed, I can bring them with me on Thursday?

canadawest
05-14-2003, 06:00 AM
Hey Shao, didn't hear from you today, but considering your post I guess you were really busy cleaning up from the crappy day.

As I mentioned in our PM's, I am still able to house livestock (fish, corals, whatever). Give me a call tomorrow (Wednesday) as I should be home most of the day and can take whatever needs a temp home.

You should still have my phone number in the PM or it's in this thread as well.

BC_Grl
05-14-2003, 06:13 AM
omg Shao, I am SO sorry to hear about your loss. :cry: I only wish I could help you in some way- but we don't have a tank anymore.
Again, I am so sorry.

smokinreefer
05-14-2003, 06:18 AM
everyone who i have to make arrangements with.
i will contact you all by tommorrow night.

Dorkel Marine 1
05-14-2003, 07:40 AM
Shao I'm sorry for all your casualties. I hope soon you can see that the new tank will be even better. If I can help my 27 gal is pretty well empty and if you need it to house some stuff let me know. 941-0719

George

smokinreefer
05-15-2003, 01:52 AM
hey guys,
for those of you who have been waiting to hear from me to make arrangements, i apologize, i have been runnig around all day.

change in plans, first, i now have to work tommorrow, so that screws things up pretty bad for me.

but, now i should have a new tank in place by tommorrow night.

i will be in touch if i still need fosterparents!

Aquattro
05-17-2003, 04:06 AM
Shao, how did things turn out???

smokinreefer
05-17-2003, 07:50 AM
my large derasa died. and in the same tub was my maroons and my sailfin. only the male maroon survived. :cry: :cry:
its all my fault, i should have parted my livestock out, instead of trying to get the tank up asap. :rolleyes:
i learned that lesson the hard way.
everything will be back in by tommorrow.

Aquattro
05-17-2003, 11:41 AM
Sorry to hear that! Hope things turn around for you!!

DJ88
05-17-2003, 05:32 PM
Shao,

I have all those fittings you asked me to get.. Let me know when you want them

smokinreefer
05-19-2003, 05:55 AM
just a quick update.

it's alive! :biggrin:

just gotta rearrange a few things...pumps and corals.

got a tunze 6080 as well. :mrgreen:

what a tiring week. :neutral:

still sad to see that a few of my fish are gone and unable to enjoy the new home. :cry:

Aquattro
05-19-2003, 05:57 AM
Hopefully you can build it even better than before....got pics yet?

smokinreefer
05-19-2003, 06:02 AM
yeah, i hope so brad, i was really liking how my tank was before, but now that the new tank is up and running, i really like it!

i'll borrow my buddy's camera and post a few pics after i get everything settled in.

Aquattro
05-19-2003, 06:04 AM
how big did you go?

smokinreefer
05-19-2003, 06:16 AM
well i went to a 180, cuz i needed something that would fit my stand.

so it's 6" higher than my old tank.

it has 2 thin plastic braces as oppessed to my old tank which had that huge glass center brace.

so i may switch my 2 400s for 3 250s.

anyone want to buy 2 barely used (~2 weeks, if that) 400W iwasaki bulbs? :mrgreen: