PDA

View Full Version : The 10 gal Nano... Planning.

nanodiva
12-14-2008, 04:50 PM
Ok people i am not completely new to the world of saltwater, my aunt and uncle used to have a tank till they didnt have the time and sold it. I finally got my boyfriend intrested enough to say yea ok. now the wait till maybe about MARCH of 2009. wanna get everythign down pat first.

be sure to check back for updates!

so here are the specs:

i have a 10 gal AGA.
the top is a easy thign lol my friedn has one i just have to go pick up and make her mom dinner to pay for it lol

(all prices in canadian - i OVER estimate on toals i'd rather have to much money than not enough i added taxes into the price aswell)

Live rock: 5$/lbs 3-4$ for rubble X 10lbs = 75$
Live sand: about a one inch sand bed = 35.00
Salt: Instant Ocean, its more easily bought in my area(just around the corner at the pet store) - 30.00
Powerhead: Koralia Nano - one at first will be 2 soon after that - 40.00 each
Lighting: T5s not sure on what fixture i'm lookign at about 5 and from there i'll let you know i'm goign to say roughtly - 70$
Test Kit: not to sure yet again geting more info on what is avaliable to me.

-i know for sure i want a zoa garden(i've got some pretty intresting ideas about it when i get my tablet pen out of the back of my dresser i'll draw up a quick sketch of a couple of them) other then that i'm thinking maybe a xenia, open brain, and birds nest.... need more ideas though.

any suggestions??

BTW i live in ontario canada so if anyone from the GTA/durham region knows anywhere i can go to get stuff it would be much appreciated.

anyone sudbury way my sister is up there and comes down most weekendds so if you see anything good please let me know so i can get her to pick it up for me when i get this thing running lol.

bignose
12-14-2008, 04:57 PM
are you going to have a skimmer?
what about fish?

Doug
12-14-2008, 05:12 PM
Welcome to Canreef

nanodiva
12-14-2008, 05:21 PM
skimmer i'm not to sure on yet i am seriously considering one but i'm not entirely sure for the first littl bit i dont think i'll have one - i'm not planning on having much in the tank for a while. if i get one i'll want a hang over the back ones, i was thinkin of having a "poor mans refuge" with a old hob filter that i have. i was thinking of having a clown or two and/or/maybe a blenny or goby if not them a seahorse or 2. nothing to fancy on fish lol i love certain species but for that i'll wait till i'm financially stable enough to set up my 75 gal if i end up selling my lizard...

it needs to be resealed which ios no biggy i've been there done that before (i get tanks cheaper that way there is a leak no probs i'll take it... resealed later still runnign 5 years later) lol my mom taught me how to reseal when i was a kid so if i end up gettign rid of my lizard i'll be resealing my 75g and one day it will be my main display with my 10gal as a frag tank.

other then that of fish species i was lookign at fo rthe 10 gal:

b&w ocellaris
yellow watchman goby
dwarf seahorse

rocketlily
12-14-2008, 05:46 PM
Check out the nano contest threads. Lots of idea there. Good luck and I know you'll have fun doing this.

ElGuappo
12-14-2008, 09:12 PM
Heres a list of nano fish and such for various size tanks.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=74703

lorenz0
12-14-2008, 09:32 PM
buy a skimmer. after 2 nano's i finally added a rio nano skimmer and it was worth the money. tough to dial in but is slowly cleaning my 10 gal nano up

bignose
12-14-2008, 10:26 PM
I added a rio nano skimmer about 2 mons ago. I should have done it from the begginnig. They are cheap too I only paid $30-40 for mine new.

ElGuappo
12-14-2008, 10:29 PM
I am not a fan of the rio nano skimmer. takes way to long to zero in and then with evap it has to be tuned too often. also after a while the impeller sticks and needs to started by hand. i have gone back to the bubble stone type and think for tanks this size its the way to go.

nanodiva
12-15-2008, 01:49 AM
yea i'm joined on nano-reef.com, and have read that thouroughly up and down about a million times lol.

other then that the skimmer is still up in the air. these are mixed reviews i have heard off the web and on the web (and now in my own thread lol) but i'm not sure.

the tank set up day is set for march sometime if i am lucky it will either be moved forward or pushed back depending on what happens in life. as with almost every event dates may be changed due to unforseen circumstances.

bignose
12-15-2008, 02:24 AM
I will agree the reviews on the rio skimmer aren't the best. I haven't had too many problems with mine. I'm just saying it's good to have a skimmer.:biggrin:

nanodiva
12-15-2008, 01:24 PM
yea thats why i was thinkign of runnign one but i have heard mixed reviews about them - depending on what you have in your nano there is no point in one.. that you should run one no mattter what. alot of people have had issues with nano skimmer not functioning the best, while others find they work great. so its still "on the drawing board" right now lol

Boomboy
12-15-2008, 02:50 PM
dont waste your money on the skimmer a 10G is not very big, you plan on keep zoas, just do a 2G water change a week, that is plenty, you wont be able to keep more than 1 to 2 fish if they are small in the tank. i would say spend the money on better salt than a skimmer, just set up a good water changing system, so that its not a chore.

superduperwesman
12-15-2008, 03:16 PM
Yeah I don't think you need a skimmer on a 10 gallon if you're doing water changes

rocketlily
12-15-2008, 03:23 PM
Yeah I don't think you need a skimmer on a 10 gallon if you're doing water changes

I agree

Rbacchiega
12-15-2008, 03:56 PM
For what it's worth, I've had a 10 gallon nano up and running for over a year (granted, until recently it was just a fowlr setup) but never have used a skimmer on it. I do a 2 gallon water change once a week and it seems to be working fine...

lorenz0
12-15-2008, 05:07 PM
I will agree, the rio is a POS but i still stand my grounds. After what happened with my 20 gal i wish i ran a skimmer on it. I just suggested the rio nano because its cheap and its better than nothing. If you do decide to run one but want better quality look into the aquac remora nano or the tunze doc nano. I am planning on upgrading to one of those down the road.

But if you decide not to run one, but the best light you can. Don't waste your money on coralife fixtures. Look at either the nova extreme, or the nova extreme pro.

Boomboy
12-16-2008, 04:13 PM
But if you decide not to run one, but the best light you can. Don't waste your money on coralife fixtures. Look at either the nova extreme, or the nova extreme pro.

i agree, get the nova instead, dont even bother getting the coralife, not worth the money and they get really hot, at least from what ive heard.

ElGuappo
12-16-2008, 06:20 PM
IMO i would use a hagen glo over a nova anyday if you are only going with 2 bulbs.

bignose
12-17-2008, 12:26 AM
I run a coralife and I'm not very happy with it.