PDA

View Full Version : Dehumidifier

JOEL
12-14-2008, 01:08 AM
Just wondering if anyone has problems with too much humidity in the house (more noticeable now that it's very cold) and if you can recommend a good brand or place to buy one at??

Veng68
12-14-2008, 01:14 AM
Search this site for "humidex". Seems to work great. Also uses a lot less energy.

Cheers,
Vic

stingray paradise
12-14-2008, 04:37 AM
depending on the size of tank will depend on type of dehumidifier you may require. can you provide some tank info

RuGlu6
12-14-2008, 05:40 AM
http://www.ecoloblue.com/en/home-office?location=feature_link
i like this idea, dehumidify and be able to drink it as well!

theredben
12-14-2008, 02:27 PM
Did you read the sterilization steps of that ecoblue generator. If you go on vacation for 7 days, time to sterilize, every 4 months time to sterilize, if you haven't used it in 5 days time to drain it and refill. If you have not used the hot water in a while, time to run it for 30 minutes, and you need to make sure that you use at least 3 litres a day. Seems like a lot of work for plain old water. 1350USD seems like a little too much for "free water".

Doug
12-14-2008, 02:27 PM
If your in a cold climate, then check out HRV,s. More expensive but the best fix for overall house ventilation.

Does a humidex just exchange air or does it recover some of the exhausted heat? Anyone running one ? If not, how does it differ from any venting and fresh air coming in the furnace air intake? They do look interesting.

JOEL
12-14-2008, 02:46 PM
depending on the size of tank will depend on type of dehumidifier you may require. can you provide some tank info

I currently have 150gal between two tanks and my sump. Now that it's cool out
I have a lot of condensation on my windows.

Doug
12-14-2008, 03:02 PM
Joel, if your place is well sealed, it likely needs some ventilation and fresh air in the winter. We had a couple good threads on HRV systems and Humidex systems awhile back.

Most new homes, in cold climates, come with hrv systems already installed. If the basements unfinished, pretty easy to install one but certainly harder in a finished basement. Thats where the Humidex seems to be better but I,m not sure how they work.

My new modular was a show home, so no hrv in it. Thus part of the reason for now running a nano. I have a dehumidifier in the room itself but may as well run nothing, IMO. Seemed to make very little difference when my 90 was running. Seems they work better in very warm air or something ??

Of course any way of venting humid stale air and replacing it with dry but cold outside air, works. Its just that an hrv saves a good portion of that heat. Its also harder to heat humid air.

Another good house dryer, is a good wood stove with its own fresh air intake. Works wonders. :mrgreen:

dstasiuk
12-15-2008, 02:06 AM
I hadn't had a problem with humidity until our recent arrival of winter (-10). Windows were sweating profusely. Changing the furnace fan to run continuously made a HUGE difference. Colder out now (-15), and there is very minimal condensation (about 1" on the bottom of the windows only, where they were completely covered before.

Probably not the ideal permanent solution (I am going to look at a HRV), but I think this will get me through this winter.

The Codfather
12-15-2008, 02:13 AM
Another thing to check is the humidifier on your furnace. Turn it right down, You should see a noticable drop in humidity in 24 hrs.

PoonTang
12-15-2008, 03:08 AM
I have a HRV in my house but it cant keep up with the 90 gal and 4 people cooking and bathing. Its the stupid aluminum window frames that are the biggest culprit. From what i saw of the humidex it just takes the cold damp air from the basement floor, and i dont think there is any heat recovery, just venting. There wasnt any mention of a drain tube or bucket so i dont its a dehumidifier, just a vent. Besides my basement is fine, its my upstairs where the tank is that has the problem. I have been looking at dehumidifiers and Costco seems to have the best deal.