PDA

View Full Version : 90 Gallon Reef Setup... Update April 22, 2009...Oceanic Corals with Pics!

Rbacchiega
12-13-2008, 07:08 PM
I've had this tank and pretty much everything sitting in the garage for over a year...and finally decided to re set it up.

90 Gallon Tank with built in overflow
33 Gallon Sump/Fuge system - will have to tinker around with it, need to replace the old skimmer (corallife 125) with something else, thinking Euro Reef and then get the fuge running. about 7lbs of live rock in the sump
Quietone 4000 Return pump
Koralia 1 - To get that tricky part by the overflow
2 Koralia 4s - one blowing accross the back of the live rock and one to blow towards the front of the tank.
130lbs of now cooked live rock
100 lbs (about 3 inches worth) of aragonite sand

I have the return into the tank split into a kind of E shaped pattern with various directions of flow and am pretty surprised at how well the water moves through the tank. Very nice currents going on in there I think. To aid the cycle I bought another 5lbs of live rock and added it directly to the display tank, hoping this will help with the cycle, but we'll have to see.

Plan on making it a softie/mushroom/lps tank, so I'm thinking I only really need some VHO t5s...right?

Which would bring me to my first question...where can I find a lighting unit like the ones in this thread http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47143?

Also, right now my salinity is readin 1.023 and the tank is a steady 76*F...is this okay? I've had my fair share of freshwater experience, tried saltwater for a bit but due to personal reasons had to get out of it before I could even do anything with the tank (literally, had a tank full of rock...stunning) but I want this to be amazing...it's taken the place of the other half's tv...so it better be good LOL

Thanks in advance.

Trigger Man
12-13-2008, 07:15 PM
The lights in that thread were bought in the States if I remember right (you can google the brand and the shop that sells them will come up, in the thread it also mentions the shop if I'm right). They are great lights but will cost you a little more. How long is your tank (I am assuming 4 foot)? A decent alternative is going with the Tek lighting system, it produces good light, is priced well and will suffice with what you listed as wanting to put in the tank. Salinity is good but can be raised to 1.025 and a lot of people including myself keep our tanks around 79 F. Remember to be patient in the process and cycle the tank properly to avoid issues later on.

Rbacchiega
12-13-2008, 07:59 PM
Thanks Trigger

I'll raise it up to 79* gradually, and see how that goes. I thought that 1.025 would be a little too high in salinity for airation? Or am I wrong on that aspect?

The tank is 48" long, 24" tall and 18" back to front.

I've taken a look at the Tek lights, and I think I'm sold LOL

I'm prepaired to wait as long as necessary for this tank to come together. I've had some poor experiences from hurrying my Discus setup once...so I'm ready to wait.

Trigger Man
12-13-2008, 11:03 PM
I have had my salinity at a tonne of different levels throughout the years. When I was running fowlr tanks I kept the tanks around 1.018, and then when I started to just have softies and zoas I ran it at 1.023. I did find that a lot of the places that I purchase my coral from (lfs and fellow reefers) had it at around 1.025, so in order to possibley have less shock my corals (as well as new fish) I decided to gradually raise it to the higher level. As long as you have decent waterflow you will be alright, if you are worried you can point one of your ph in a upward angle in order to agitate the water surface a little
more.
If you have any other questions post and you will find may friendly reefers more then willing to find you answers.
Good luck and enjoy!

Rbacchiega
12-14-2008, 12:24 AM
Had a little bit of an issue with the bulkheads leaking, but figured that out and have everything back up and running...

Ended up just going back to the old output nozzle..the black connector thingers...I still think I'll get enough circulation through there and have a few extra koralia's kicking around if need be.

In doing some more cleaning I found two 48" Hagen 2 Bulb T5 Units, but will replace the bulbs with ones similar to those found in the thread that I quoted earlier...and I'll mount those on the tank when the time comes...no need for lights quite yet from what I read, so there's no rush there.

Thanks again for all your help!

Rbacchiega
12-14-2008, 05:16 AM
....so need the Hagen Glo's for another tank...I forgot that I originally bought those for the 8 foot gar/ray tank....duh.

And cruising around here found an amazing link to Bulk Reef Supply..so I'll be putting in an order in the new year for a 6 Bulb 48" Tek Light T5 Fixture with suspension and brackets just incase. I've decided to go with 3 Pure Actinics and 3 Aqua Blue+ bulbs (info can be found on Bulk Reef Supply Website) I figure that will be damn near enough to allow me to grow whatever I'd like in there...

As soon as I find my USB cable I guess I better start posting pictures...

Trigger Man
12-14-2008, 07:13 AM
Getting a KZ fiji purple bulb may also be an idea, it brings out certain colors that the others you listed don't.

Rbacchiega
12-14-2008, 04:33 PM
I'm starting to wonder (mainly as I look at the prices of these units) if I could use a 4 bulb unit instead. By looking at your signature, Trigger, it appears that you are using a 4 bulb unit and growing corals well. Is there anyway you could show me a FTS so I can get an idea as to how well the light is getting down into the tank and what your corals are looking like?

The way I figure is the less money a quality, suffiecient lighting unit is going to cost me, the more I can eventually spend on corals and the likes...

Trigger Man
12-14-2008, 05:45 PM
I'm working on borrowing a good camera to take some pics, right now I've got a older digital so it takes bad tank shots. My tank is also a 5 footer and a little wider, so the lights don't go end to end (lights are 48") but I've got no dark spots. The 4 bulb lighting unit will fill light throughout your tank, and will allow you to grow sps if you wanted. You may be able to get a good price on bulbs on boxing day or that week (as well if you buy bulbs locally you won't have to worry about broken bulbs from shipping). Also most shops here are pretty good at matching prices of other places if you ask (good to have just incase something goes wrong with the product). You can even put a posting on here seeing if anyone has a similar lighting system for sale (with christmas coming some people may get new lights as presents).

Rbacchiega
12-14-2008, 06:38 PM
....Trigger seems to be a saving grace LOL.....

Rbacchiega
12-15-2008, 07:01 AM
well, in trying to help me out the "man of the house" proceeded to break the bulkheads..and then tried siliconing them...and then broke them again. So now I'll have to plug said bulkheads, get a piece of glass cut that will prevent water from going into the overflow and have a skimmer hanging off the back of the tank...looks like this 90 gallon is going sumpless..which is a total PITA, but I dont' knwo what else to do.

on a plus note,
I ordered my 4 bulb tek T5 unit earlier today

Rbacchiega
12-15-2008, 03:54 PM
After a good nights sleep I figured out a way to still use the sump and all the stuff that goes with it...

Because of where the other half siliconed the bulkheads, they are garbage. I'll have to cut them out, pull off all the silicone, and buy two new bulkheads. The rest of the plumbing is still good, just the bulkheads themselves need to be replaced.

Who knew getting water into a tank would be so hard....:mad:

Rbacchiega
12-16-2008, 06:50 PM
PICTURES~!!!!
The tank is up and running, waiting for lights and new skimmer before adding any corals (obviously) or fish...

The Supervisor:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/tattoo096.jpg

Tank, without Flash:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/tattoo098.jpg

With Flash:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/tattoo104.jpg

The Boss after a hard days work:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/tattoo099.jpg

And The Chameleon, because well, it's a chameleon:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/tattoo108.jpg

Rbacchiega
12-23-2008, 12:35 AM
Got a call from where my Tek was supposed to come from and apparently they've lost the shipment (wha?!?!) so they refunded my card and I headed up to Red Coral...

Where Kevin gave me a SMOKIN' deal on a 48" Metal Halide Unit with moonlights and 4 PC Actinics, a Euro Reef Skimmer and some stuff for the fuge...

pictures tonight!!!

JDigital
12-23-2008, 12:45 AM
Got a call from where my Tek was supposed to come from and apparently they've lost the shipment (wha?!?!) so they refunded my card and I headed up to Red Coral...

Where Kevin gave me a SMOKIN' deal on a 48" Metal Halide Unit with moonlights and 4 PC Actinics, a Euro Reef Skimmer and some stuff for the fuge...

pictures tonight!!!

Why shop anywhere else! LOL :lol:

Look forward to the pics.

Rbacchiega
12-23-2008, 05:15 PM
Okay, so it wasn't last night...(got caught watching House...I love House)

But here we go:

Tight fit..but it fit damnit!
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/tattoo149.jpg

Lighting Unit on top..I was a little fustrated, you'd figure a 48" unit would fit just straight on...but I forgot about the extra width/length of the unit when you add the legs..so that took a smoke or two :D
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/tattoo148.jpg

Actinics:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/tattoo150.jpg

Metal Halides...not all the way warmed up:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/tattoo151.jpg

Also took out the small Koralia on the right and swapped it out for a Koralia 2.

Now the flow comes from:

Quietone 4000 High head pump: figure 800gph (just over 4 feet of head)
Koralia 4: 1200gph
Koralia 3: 850gph
Koralia 2: 600gph

So 3450 gph movement in a 90 gallon tank so 38X the tank volume...am I calculating that right? Is that enough for eventual SPS to populate the tank? (the more I look at mixed reefs the more I want)

Mik_101
12-23-2008, 05:34 PM
nice tank. I can see this tank becoming realy nice. What do you plan on having in it for corals and fish?
BTW awsome light fixture.

Rbacchiega
12-23-2008, 08:59 PM
for the longest time I was going to make it a softie/mushroom/lps tank. But the more I look at it the more I want to have a complete mixed reef. SPS,LPS,Mushrooms, Clams EVERYTHING!!! :D:D:D

Now that I've got the MH bulbs I assume it'll be a little easier to maintain SPS...right?

As for fish, I want small ones so that the main focus of the tank is the corals. Red Coral has some Dart Fish and they are by far, the coolest fish I've ever seen, so definately want some of those...

I kind of want to avoid getting into what everyone else has. Don't get me wrong, they're beautiful, but everyone has tangs, clowns etc.

Must have a pair of mandarin dragonets though. The so called "Psychadellic" ones

fishytime
12-24-2008, 01:06 AM
Now I know who you are here...mua ah ah :twised: Glad to see that you made it back and got what you needed. The dartfish you were looking at are "scissor tail darts". Hope I see you at the store again. Happy Holidays.

Doug

Rbacchiega
12-24-2008, 02:35 AM
Now I know who you are here...mua ah ah :twised: Glad to see that you made it back and got what you needed. The dartfish you were looking at are "scissor tail darts". Hope I see you at the store again. Happy Holidays.

Doug

yes, but you still don't know where I live...so taking a look at the "pool" in the quanset won't be an option :D

Keeping saltwater fish is a breeze compaired to this whole intricate reef jargon. The big tank is simple, because it's simple corals....

atta spoil my cover...jeeze

Rbacchiega
12-24-2008, 07:23 PM
looks like the cycle is done or at least nearly done. saw a big spike a few days ago and everything has returned down to proper levels...just in time for the boxing day sale at Red Coral! (Maybe there is a reef-god!)

So, I'll be adding the clean up crew this weekend:
(Depending on availabilty)
Astrea - 15
Trochus - 20
Cerith - 20
Nassarius - 15

I've had an over all crappy experience with crabs, so I don't want to have to add any, unless *knock on wood* they are needed for nussiance algae (bubble specifically...grrrr)

Rbacchiega
12-26-2008, 07:09 PM
just got home from Red coral with snails, sand sifter goby, cardinals, a fox coral and a brain coral....I WENT FOR SNAILS! LOL

everything is drip acclimating as we speak...pics to follow

JDigital
12-26-2008, 09:26 PM
How busy was Red coral? LOL

Rbacchiega
12-26-2008, 09:48 PM
one word...insane.

Rbacchiega
12-27-2008, 07:30 PM
so I'm not overly impressed with the blue given off by the pcs. it's a nice light blue, but not as intense as I'd like. So when I'm no long reeling in boxngday madness I'll be buying a 48" hagen T5 HO unit and adding in a KZ fiji purple and a Geisman (sp?) True Actinic for that nice little bit of Whooopa!

Rbacchiega
12-27-2008, 08:17 PM
Showing Surface aggitation:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/004.jpg

Open Brain after a couple hours in the tank:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/012.jpg

Fox coral. I'm going to give it a week or so to see if it'll expand more (like the ones I've seen here)...if it doesn't it looks like I'll have to move it around a bit!
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/013.jpg

Rbacchiega
12-29-2008, 05:40 PM
moved the fox coral yesterday to an area with a little less flow...show's almost instant results, but still not as poofy as I'd like it...oh well, I'll give it time
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/002.jpg

fishytime
12-29-2008, 07:00 PM
Foxy lady:mrgreen: Looks good.

Rbacchiega
12-29-2008, 07:15 PM
Thanks Doug.

Do you guys build custom tanks as well? We've decided to put a tank in the bedroom *dun dun dun* don't want too large, but will need it to be as quiet as possible...

fishytime
12-30-2008, 03:59 PM
Thanks Doug.

Do you guys build custom tanks as well? We've decided to put a tank in the bedroom *dun dun dun* don't want too large, but will need it to be as quiet as possible...

Replied in your other tank journal.

Rbacchiega
01-29-2009, 10:43 PM
Whoa, been a whilse since this was added to.

Herm today I added 12 coral frags from the big group order. Zoas are out and happy and everything else is looking good.

Since the last post I've added an unknown LPS, a small bird's nest frag, a purple millie frag (thanks fooser!), a sandsifting goby and a foxface. I added the foxface a couple days ago and today he's finally out and about. wooo!

Rbacchiega
02-02-2009, 03:55 AM
Added a wicked piece of Acan, green digi, green milie and a monti (thanks Lobsterboy!)

On the look out for a tomini tang...must find tomini tang

Pan
02-02-2009, 04:25 AM
Added a wicked piece of Acan, green digi, green milie and a monti (thanks Lobsterboy!)

On the look out for a tomini tang...must find tomini tang
I know where there is one :)

Rbacchiega
02-02-2009, 05:57 AM
....and that would be? How much?

fishytime
02-02-2009, 12:46 PM
I know where there is one :)

That one is sold if you are talkin about the one we have.

Randi you could call Kev today and we might order one in for you.

bignose
02-02-2009, 04:30 PM
any pics of the new coral?

Rbacchiega
02-09-2009, 07:14 AM
So I've decided to take the plunge and vodka dose the tank.

A quick recap of how vodka dosing works (for those who don't already know)

* Main purpose is to reduce Nitrate (NO3) and Phosphate (PO4). The reduction of phosphate not only leads to the reduction of problem algae, but it also leads to the enhanced calcification and growth of corals. Also, there is supposed to be a noticable increase in skimate.

How I will be dosing, based on 80 Proof (40% Ethanol by volume)

My estimated net water volume (nwv) is 85 gallons. RC reccomends that you estimate on the low side, just to be safe. If you're not sure how to ncalculate NWV, take display tank volume, plus sump/refuge and less 30%

Starting dose is 0.1ml of vodka per 25 gallons continued daily for 3 days. So: 0.3-0.4ml a day for my tank

Day 4-7, double daily dosage

Each subsequent week add an additional 0.5ml of vodka regardless of aquarium volume (1.1-1.3ml/day) When NO3 and PO4 levels drop near undetectable, cut vodka dose in half. IE if levels drop in week 2, then dose after reaching levels would be 0.55 - 0.65ml a day.

I'll continue to test regularly. If levels become detectable, I'm supposed to increase daily dose by 0.1ml per week until levels decrease. If you maintain that dose, the levels will eventually drop back down, and this would become the new maintenance level.

I'm also going to be starting to add Amino Acids to the tank...which I've never done. So far I feed Coral Frenzy every 2nd or 3rd day (when I remember really) and I usually mix in some Rotifers every now and then as well.

Apparently with a lower nutrient system you can increase the ammount of feeding, which also leads to better colours in the corals.

I'm pretty freakin excited

bignose
02-09-2009, 04:22 PM
I'm interested in vodka dosing. I'll tag with you on this one.

Rbacchiega
02-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Threads on RC suggest to split the dosing during the day. But for the little ammount that I'll be doing I don't think its worth it. Will start tonight, as soon as I go get a little syringe thingy..

bignose
02-09-2009, 07:16 PM
I remember going to the vet supply store to buy a needle and "syringe thingy" after I got off work. I was dressed in my holy sweats and t-shirt with holes burned throughout. They kinda looked at me like a junkie! Man talk about embarrasing:lol:

Rbacchiega
02-09-2009, 07:36 PM
LOL. I think I'll just hit shoppers drug mart or something like that and see if I can grab them there. I'm only dosing .3 ml...so I need a tiny one LOL

Rbacchiega
02-11-2009, 06:30 PM
still no syringe, because, well...I'm lazy. But I picked up a little clam from Lorenzo, some nice Orange Centered Zoas from Underwater and stunning Rodactus from Snappy. This tank is actually starting to look like something!

I've also increased the ammount of time the MH's are on. I was running them for 6 hours but over the last week have increased that up to 8 hours a day.

Tomorrow a friend of mine is giving me a male Mandarin. Woooopa! I have loads of copepods (before you guys even ask) and have had lots of experience with these little gaffers.

Rbacchiega
02-12-2009, 08:37 PM
*sigh* call me stupid, but I'm switching this bad boy out to Bare Bottom. The flow I've got going is creating a continual sandstorm, which is disgusting, and I'm not going to compromise the polyp extension etc I'm getting in this tank by moving/altering the powerheads...

It'll be done over a period of time, just by removing the sand with every water change, so as to not disrupt too much at one time...

FlamesFan
02-12-2009, 09:03 PM
My sister works at the hospital and I get her to "bring" me insuline needles that dose in 1ml max. Lots of zeo products need to dose like .5ml or .6ml so they are great for accurate dosing in small amounts. You could try medical supply stores or even stores for people with diabeties(sp) for the same type.

Rbacchiega
02-12-2009, 10:36 PM
BAAAAAAAAAAAH

I knew this would happen. I took out some sand and stuff shifted. So I now have a torn down 90 (fish in one bucket, corals and rock in another)

Can anyone say new setup?!

Idiot

Delphinus
02-12-2009, 10:42 PM
Ouch. :( Good luck.

I have a rule for my tanks, it's "For the love of God don't touch that rock, no matter what, nooooooooo!!!". :lol:

Seriously, good luck..

Lance
02-12-2009, 10:46 PM
BAAAAAAAAAAAH

I knew this would happen. I took out some sand and stuff shifted. So I now have a torn down 90 (fish in one bucket, corals and rock in another)

Can anyone say new setup?!

Idiot

Bummer! Don't you hate when that happens.

Rbacchiega
02-12-2009, 11:36 PM
Whew, I think that's the fastest I've ever done anything. Granted, I officially have NO make up water...but rocks were out of the tank for less than 30 minutes (although they were still in old tank water) and corals were placed in the fastest frag tank I have ever set up in my entire life.

I actually like the scaping better now, hopefully everything will pull through. In a way, I'm glad this happened before everything really started to grow in.

I figured it out, and I've done just about a 50% waterchange on the tank...Hopefully not too much. At least mineral levels should be up there...:redface::redface::redface:

Mrfish55
02-13-2009, 02:05 AM
I wound up doing a 50% change when I went from the 180 to the 300 and everything worked out fine, just watch the feeding for a couple weeks and let things settle down, let's see some before and after pics.

Rbacchiega
02-13-2009, 02:13 AM
I'll grab a pic or two once things clear up a bit. Huge slime from the brain, the fox is all closed up, but the zoas are out and happy and some of the SPS are already showing some polyp extension. I've seen the Kole and the Ember Blenny, everything else is hiding. LOL

bignose
02-13-2009, 03:00 AM
Well that's bad news about your tank. But you have a new setup now to show off:smile: I hope your corals pull through. Can't wait for your pictures.

Rbacchiega
02-13-2009, 03:20 AM
I'm actually really in love with the aquascape (even more so because I did it nearly completely blind because the tank was murky because of taking out all the sand) There are loads of ledges for coral placement, which I'll work on more tomorrow. I think my hands have been in there long enough for one day LOL

....all this because I wanted to go bare bottomed...boooo

Rbacchiega
02-13-2009, 06:55 PM
So, day one bare bottom AND vodka dosing (that's right, I got a syringe!)

I'm amazed at how much gunk is coming out of the rocks. It's actually pretty disgusting. But even though it's been BB for less than 24 hrs it IS looking alot better. I'm not sure if it's the light reflecting off the bottomw of the tank or what, but coral colours are nicer and the tank seems brighter

New and updated FTS:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/006.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/005.jpg

And a horrible horrible picture of the blenny:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/007.jpg

karazy
02-13-2009, 08:35 PM
ewwww! bare bottom!

hehehe, im just joking. it looks good. i LOVE the aquascape!

Delphinus
02-13-2009, 08:41 PM
Sweet blenny!! I've been looking for one of those for ages. :cool:

Tank looks good. Yeah, you'll be surprised how much those rocks shed.

I'm sure you just placed it there temporarily for now, but I'll suggest anyhow you move the clam or build a little rockwall around him, it's only a matter of time before he rolls off there. The perfect spot, I've found, is a sort of cup shape or indentation where it's a little uphill all around, that way they'll feel good and secure. Hard to tell from the photo 100% but I think I spy a spot just to the left of your green/yellow acro there that might be perfect (or might be perfect with some rubble epoxied in front). Sorry I hope I'm not coming across as a poo poo head for making a suggestion :redface:

The aquascaping looks great. :) And I'm real jealous of the blenny! :cool: More pictures of him when you get a chance, please! :)

Rbacchiega
02-13-2009, 08:51 PM
duly noted and clam moved. He was sort of a rescue from a friend of mine, still hsn't fully opened and extended the mantle and he's been in the tank for just under a week. I've moved him to the nook with the acro.

That Blenny was a total impulse buy Tony. Ask Doug. I went in to pick up the Kole and walked out with this little guy. Easily my most favorite fish in the tank, especially when he stares you down form atop his little perch.

In reality it's not 100% bb, Karazy. There's still some sand kicking around behind the rock work that I left for the goby, because frankly, I don't want to try and catch the bugger.

Delphinus
02-13-2009, 08:56 PM
Doh!! I knew Doug and Kevin would forget to tell me if they ever saw one. I really got to keeps up with my nagging, er, I mean, reminders, when I go in.. :lol:

(No worries Doug and Kevin if you're reading this .. it's all good. :mrgreen:)

Impulse or not, can't blame you, that's a real pretty blenny. :) If you ever get bored of him ......... ;)

karazy
02-13-2009, 08:57 PM
omg i forgot to comment on the blenny.

FREAKIN AWESOME BLENNY!

Rbacchiega
02-13-2009, 09:00 PM
It amazes me how quickly/durastically they can change their colour. When the actinics are on he's a deep purple with light reds and beiges. MHs come on and he's what you see in the picture. LED moonlights are on and he's such a dark purple that you can hardly see him in his favorite hidespot

bignose
02-13-2009, 09:39 PM
I never seen your tank beforehand so I can't compare. But it looks nice and I really like your Blenny it's very colorful.

Rbacchiega
02-13-2009, 10:18 PM
check earlier in this thread for what it looked like before. The corals are all pretty much new.

Carmen
02-14-2009, 01:42 AM
Aw!! Randy I love that Blenny! I knew I should have taken him when I had the chance - he is incredible! Is he out and about alot or pretty timid?:mrgreen:

Rbacchiega
02-14-2009, 01:49 AM
He's one of the most active Blennies I have ever seen. Incredible! (how's that salt feel in the wound LOL)

He likes swiming up to the powerheads and drifting back down...I heart this fish. Now I need to name him...I havn't named a fish of my own forever...

karazy
02-14-2009, 02:10 AM
name him burt :D

Carmen
02-14-2009, 02:11 AM
OH I knew you'd say that! Well looks like I will be trying to find me an "Ember Blenny"! :mrgreen:

Delphinus
02-14-2009, 02:17 AM
Hey!! Get in line!! :lol:

(Man, what chance have ***I*** got against an employee of the store ... BOO...) ;)

Carmen
02-14-2009, 02:20 AM
Hey!! Get in line!! :lol:

(Man, what chance have ***I*** got against an employee of the store ... BOO...) ;)

Tell you what Tony, should I hear of another one coming in I will let you know first okay!!:wink: Great fish! Perhaps we can find 2!

karazy
02-14-2009, 02:21 AM
Delphinus, next time your at the store you should just move the web cam a lil,
so next time they get one you'll be the first one to know.

as long as no one else is watching the web cam :p

Delphinus
02-14-2009, 02:25 AM
Well if you see 2 that'd be cool of course! :) I have a feeling after this thread there will be lots of people wanting them! :lol:

Rbacchiega
02-14-2009, 02:29 AM
aw, now I feel all warm and gooey.

It's a shame these guys aren't more readily available. Not a very big fish, so would do fine in a 40-50 gallon tank, but active and robust enough to do well in any sized tank. Between the foxface, kole tang and this guy there is officially NO problem algae in the tank.

The blenny eats everything I throw in there too. Easiest fish I have ever kept LOL

Rbacchiega
02-15-2009, 08:14 AM
just took a cab home....got here at 2:00 am well....just after it. Anyways, breaker blew. Hope I got everything back in time. Foxface was looking horrible once pumps etc started running again...

booooo valentines (except for the fact that I got three fortunes in one cookie!) Happy Valentines day to me :S

Rbacchiega
02-15-2009, 07:48 PM
Alright, so now that I can see straight (bleh).

Everything survived the power outage/breaker problem. And I didn't even test the sump to be sure it would hold... LUUUUUCKY!

I went into Ocean City today to take a look around...and took the plunge and bought the CBB they had there. I watched him eat, didn't notice any fuzzy spots etc and they said they'd had him for three weeks. Looks good, hopefully he lasts

Rbacchiega
02-16-2009, 08:54 PM
Picked up this guy today. Already porking out on frozen Mysis:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/IMG_0084.jpg

FTS:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/IMG_0088.jpg

Rainbow Acan that I just picked up from Lobsterboy (thanks again John!)
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/IMG_0073.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/IMG_0075.jpg

Some Random coral shots...
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/IMG_0083.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/IMG_0077.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/IMG_0076.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/IMG_0074.jpg

If anyone can identify this unknown LPS that'd be appreciated:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/IMG_0078.jpg

lobsterboy
02-17-2009, 03:26 AM
:biggrin: WOW, that rainbow is looking deadly under your lights.

Rbacchiega
02-17-2009, 04:21 AM
you should see it under the actinics...maybe I should go grab a picture....hold on LOL

tang daddy
02-17-2009, 04:27 AM
the acan you picked up from lobster boy is aka orange crush and can differ with colours sometimes coming out with a hint of baby blue but mostly will keep the orange and green scheme.....

In the last pic the coral is a acan maxima, nice score!!

Lance
02-17-2009, 04:32 AM
Hey, nice score! You like the Acans huh? Tank's lookin' good.

Rbacchiega
02-17-2009, 04:35 AM
The new acan has about 5 or 6 different colours in it. Teal, green, orange, pink and red. Stunning regardless. My photo skills just suck alot. The unknown LPS doesn't have a skeleton like any other acan I've seen...almost a sort of stalk...I'll look more into that though

Anyways, on with the actinic shots...

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/IMG_0093.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/IMG_0092.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/IMG_0094.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/IMG_0095.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/IMG_0096.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/IMG_0097.jpg

Rbacchiega
02-17-2009, 04:44 AM
Hey, nice score! You like the Acans huh? Tank's lookin' good.

I LOVE Acans. There's a thread on RC where a guy (from Ontario I believe) has his tank almost completely stocked with Acans. That thread got me hooked.

Trigger Man
02-17-2009, 05:29 AM
I remember that thread, when I saw it I seriously thought about setting up a all acan tank. Such unique colors available.

lobsterboy
02-17-2009, 07:41 AM
heres an orange crush, its a bit blurry, the oc is left hand side back ground.
it is orange, green and a tiny tiny blue.

Randi, is that the same acan i gave you under the actinics?

i am wishing i had actinics :cry:

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr329/lobsterboy1000/IMG_2743.jpg

Rbacchiega
02-17-2009, 05:03 PM
Close, but not quite John. Well from what I can tell anyways. The one I've got has alot more green and blue, I just can't get it to show in the picture.

I can't remember what you said you were running bulb wise. But Geissman True Actinic or Blue + whatever it's called would make your tank pop more. Or Fiji Purple.
But to be honest, I like the way your tank looks now. The colours are genuine

Rbacchiega
02-17-2009, 08:09 PM
..unless you were asking if the acans in the actinic shots are the ones from you...in which case yes. Both of them

lobsterboy
02-17-2009, 09:00 PM
..unless you were asking if the acans in the actinic shots are the ones from you...in which case yes. Both of them

yeah, it was kinda werid, how it was writing, confusing.

anyways it looks wicked, under actinic lighting.

yeah the pic was for tang daddy.

lobsterboy
02-17-2009, 09:02 PM
I can't remember what you said you were running bulb wise. But Geissman True Actinic or Blue + whatever it's called would make your tank pop more. Or Fiji Purple.
But to be honest, I like the way your tank looks now. The colours are genuine

yeah, i have gone over this idea, over and over again, wheather or not to add actinics, probably just keep with the KZ approach and keep with the new gens, and fiji's

Rbacchiega
02-17-2009, 09:15 PM
Some more shots.

The new acan changes colour by the hour it seems...
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/IMG_0111.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/IMG_0112.jpg

Still havn't named him, but look at that mug!
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/IMG_0108.jpg

Meet Edward (my Godson named him)
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/IMG_0106.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/IMG_0107.jpg

lobsterboy
02-18-2009, 01:56 AM
cant wait to se what that acan looks like in a week, lol

GreenSpottedPuffer
03-13-2009, 05:17 AM
:deadhorse:

Rbacchiega
04-01-2009, 04:48 PM
Helllooooo back from the dead.

Alright, so CBB died, Ember Blenny Died and Kole has been moved to a different tank. Kind of let the tank get out of hand in terms of, y'know, NOT doing anything too it for a couple weeks, so it pretty much looks like butt. I did pick up this fantastic piece of zoa godness yesterday though, and tonight, after a good cleaning, I'll take pics of everything else. I'm thinking of getting rid of the lighting unit that's there and switching either to all T5s, or at the very least pimping out the current fixture. New Ballasts, new reflectors, new bulbs...the works.

Anyways, here's the zoa rock:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/IMG_0238.jpg

Before the Great Cleanse of April 2009 (I know, I know, it's disgusting):
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/IMG_0240.jpg

Rbacchiega
04-02-2009, 04:04 PM
John (lobsterboy) hooked me up with some amazing frags (although some of them are so big I'd call them mini-almost-could be really soon- colonies.. and now that they've been in the tank over night...I need to rearrange the rockwork (I know Tony, I know) in order to accomidate what's in there already, what I'm picking up from the Wicked Frag order today and what I'm getting from Greg (Snappy) on Monday.

I'll also be adding a vortech mp40 (first generation) in a bit here which leaves me with this for flow:

Koralia 4: 1200gph
3x Koralia 3: 2550gph
Sedra Return (4.5ft head): 625gph
Vortch mp40 (if run full blast) 3000gph

Total: 7375gph divided by display tank volume (90) gives me roughly 82X rotation in the tank....hoooooooooora!

fishytime
04-02-2009, 04:11 PM
Wow put on those swim goggles

Rbacchiega
04-03-2009, 12:35 AM
Newly Revamped tank. Added quite a few frags...will add some more still from Snappy on Monday. After that, NO MORE until things start to grow in. At least that's what I'm saying now anyways....

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/IMG_0257.jpg

lobsterboy
04-03-2009, 02:22 AM
[QUOTE=Rbacchiega;407263] After that, NO MORE until things start to grow in. At least that's what I'm saying now anyways....

HAHA, sure, you know how many time i have said that.

Rbacchiega
04-06-2009, 04:10 AM
soooooooooooooooooooo

I COMPLETELY forgot that I was on the wait list for some corals from Oceanic.

Now I've got to find/create room for a Tyree True Undata, Ponape Birdsnest and a sexy SEXY sunset montipora...oh darn

lobsterboy
04-06-2009, 04:49 AM
soooooooooooooooooooo

Now I've got to find/create room for a Tyree True Undata, Ponape Birdsnest and a sexy SEXY sunset montipora...oh darn

so you got the go ahead for those frags? sawwwet

GreenSpottedPuffer
04-06-2009, 05:14 AM
soooooooooooooooooooo

Oh, I feel soooooooooooooo bad for you...

lobsterboy
04-06-2009, 05:47 AM
soooooooooooooooooooo

when you get em, you better be posting some pics, asap!!! :mrgreen:

fishytime
04-06-2009, 02:13 PM
If you need someone to babysit your new frags while you make some room......:mrgreen:

blaster
04-06-2009, 02:18 PM
are you running a reactor?

Rbacchiega
04-06-2009, 03:35 PM
I run a phosban and a carbon. Calcium level is a steady 440 with me adding calcium once every three days for now. But I am looking at getting a calcium reactor one of these days. This tank is quickly turning from a ghetto fabulous tank with minimal equipment and mixed corals into a tank with all the fixins and some higher end stuff.

I love how that happens.

Picking up frags from Greg tonight, will post pics once everyone settles in and is happy.

GreenSpottedPuffer
04-06-2009, 06:34 PM
I run a phosban and a carbon. Calcium level is a steady 440 with me adding calcium once every three days for now. But I am looking at getting a calcium reactor one of these days. This tank is quickly turning from a ghetto fabulous tank with minimal equipment and mixed corals into a tank with all the fixins and some higher end stuff.

I love how that happens.

Picking up frags from Greg tonight, will post pics once everyone settles in and is happy.

That always seems to happen :razz:

I need to figure out a Ca Reactor soon I think too. Was going to go the 'balling method' route but now I am starting to wonder if thats much better than just two part dosing...well actually IMO its just 'glorified' two part dosing anyways.

Can't wait to see the new stuff ;)

Rbacchiega
04-07-2009, 04:53 PM
For some reason I can't get the corals to show their true colour when I take pictures....these corals are brightly coloured
All from Snappy. I also ordered an A. aculeus but am waiting for it to colour up before I post pics of that little number.

Baby Blue Millie:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/IMG_0265.jpg

Rainbow Stylo:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/IMG_0266.jpg

Green Digi:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/IMG_0267.jpg

Blue Tip Green Slimer (this one is amazing in person):
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/IMG_0269.jpg

Green Godess Zoas:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/IMG_0268.jpg

fishytime
04-07-2009, 06:37 PM
* look at me, Im Randi, look at all the sweet stuff I got from Greg* blah blah blah:mrgreen:

There....now we are even:wink::lol:
Seriously though....nice scores Cash!

Rbacchiega
04-07-2009, 06:55 PM
I would have figured you would hold off on those types of comments until I add the sunset monti and undata in there...but hey, to each their own. :D

Thanks Doug

Rbacchiega
04-08-2009, 05:33 PM
since I'm going to start zeo from the get-go on the 50 gallon, I've restarted vodka dosing on this one. So today is day 1, dosed 0.4mL of 80 Proof (40%) Vodka.

fishytime
04-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Was that dose in the tank?:mrgreen: Will be following allong to see how the alcoholic tank progresses.

Rbacchiega
04-08-2009, 08:50 PM
one for the tank one for me... You've seen me the day after there buddy. I can only hope my tank looks that good LOL :rolleyes:

Rbacchiega
04-14-2009, 04:28 PM
Day 5 of Vodka Dosing, noticing brighter corals already, but the big change...Skimmate. Huge ammounts, the stinkiest I've ever experienced and lots of it.

This is TWO DAYS worth. Only doing two a day feedings, Catherines food, small ammounts:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/IMG_0295.jpg

Remembered to Finally clean lights. Pic doesn't show it too well, but Left side isn't cleaned yet, Right is:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/IMG_0296.jpg

Tank with actinics on (dear lord how I need those corals to start filling in faster...where are the coral steriods at!?) :
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/IMG_0298.jpg

Metal Halides not completely warmed up:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/IMG_0299.jpg

Delphinus
04-14-2009, 04:38 PM
The hardest part is waiting for frags to fill in.

The most disturbing thing is that the skimmer appears to be pulling skimmate out of dry rock!

I missed your dosing plans, are you working in vinegar and sugar into the fray or just sticking with vodka for now? When I was reading into this some of the suggestions involved using those as well. I was wondering if a person could just mix in a little sugar and vinegar into the vodka and just dose it all at once or would that degrade the vodka somehow. :neutral:

lorenz0
04-14-2009, 05:11 PM
i need to look into vodka dosing, sadly it would be one shot for the tank..... 1/2 the 2/6 for me lol

btw, where is a good article/guide lines for it?

Rbacchiega
04-14-2009, 05:38 PM
Right now just sticking with Vodka following the guidlines in the RC Magazine.

Lorenzo, go to the old issues of RC mag and hit the chemestry section...it should be in there somewhere. It even has a nifty little chart for quick refference.

Right now I'm dosing 0.8mL Vodka (approx 100 gallons water volume) once a day. In 2 more days that bumps up to 1.3mL I believe...

fishytime
04-14-2009, 05:45 PM
See...thats how it starts....first its .8ml and the tank is like "I can handle it"...then its 1.3ml and the tank is all "bring it on!"....next thing you know the guy at the vendors is like "that Randi sure has a problem"....:mrgreen: I cant deny that skimmer cup though....looks really nice and nasty.

lastlight
04-14-2009, 07:37 PM
I cant deny that skimmer cup though....looks really nice and nasty.

I had joked in another thread about doing shots of skimmate and now I read this. Perhaps there's a market for my soon-to-be-patented skimBong or something.

Lotta sticks there. Hard to believe that tank's gonna be starved for space some day if you added no more.

lastlight
04-14-2009, 07:39 PM
So I scroll up for kicks. the last SIX people to post to this thread are all online. We a bunch of slackers or WHAT?

fishytime
04-14-2009, 07:56 PM
Believe me, I wish I was working.

Rbacchiega
04-14-2009, 10:16 PM
I had joked in another thread about doing shots of skimmate and now I read this. Perhaps there's a market for my soon-to-be-patented skimBong or something.

Lotta sticks there. Hard to believe that tank's gonna be starved for space some day if you added no more.

Too bad I'm adding two more frags tonight and three more from Oceanic in the next little bit....

...helllooooooooo lotsa frags for sale/trade in a year....

JDigital
04-15-2009, 06:23 AM
i need to look into vodka dosing, sadly it would be one shot for the tank..... 1/2 the 2/6 for me lol

btw, where is a good article/guide lines for it?

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php

Rbacchiega
04-15-2009, 03:59 PM
thanks Josh.

Rbacchiega
04-17-2009, 04:31 PM
First day of dosing 1.3mL of vodka. This will be what the tank gets daily for the next week.

When I picked up the zeovit reactor from Sean (Kwirky) I also nabbed his test kits. Here's the readings as of 9:00am this morning:

Temp: 77.2 (this raises to 79.4 during the time the MH are on)
Salinity: 1.025
KH: 12 (elos)
pH: 8.3 (elos)
Nitrate: 0 (salifert)
Mg: 1290 (salifert)...looks like I'll need to add a bit
Ca: 300??!?! (Salifert) upped the ammount of calcium I'm dosing.
Potassium: 300mg/L (KZ)... a little on the low end, looks like I'll need to get some Kbalance or something like that.

Rbacchiega
04-22-2009, 07:39 PM
Floating the new corals from Oceanic - ponape birdsnest, sunset monti (seeeeexy) and true undata (drool worthy) - as I type this and HOLY MOTHER am I stoked! Packaged GREAT, Frags are HUGE and colours are incredible.

Will post pics when they are done settling in, but all in all, 100% happy with Ians service and product.

Rbacchiega
04-22-2009, 08:11 PM
WARNING>>>>>My picture taking ability leaves quite a bit to be desired:

What I see when I open the box:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/IMG_0303.jpg

Example of packaging:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/IMG_0304.jpg

Sunset Monti. Smallest of the frags I ordered but still bigger than I thought I was going to get...
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/IMG_0308.jpg

Tyree True Undata. This frag has already encrused the frag plug...
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/IMG_0309.jpg

Ponape Birdsnest:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/IMG_0310.jpg

Sunset Monti under actinics....this is nowhere near what it really looks like.. I'm in love with this coral:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/IMG_0311.jpg

Undata already showing PE...woot woot!
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/IMG_0312.jpg

And I can't get it to show on camera, but the ponape is RAD...light pink tips with a greeny/beige body...yup....STOKED

24storm
04-22-2009, 08:16 PM
Very nice !!!!!:biggrin:

Rbacchiega
04-22-2009, 09:40 PM
took an internet crash course....and we'll see if it helped any. all shots are under Actinics

Zoas I bought a few weeks ago:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/IMG_0314-1.jpg

Ponape Birdsnest:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/IMG_0317-1.jpg

True Undata:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/IMG_0318.jpg

More Zoas:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/IMG_0319.jpg

Rainbow Acan:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/IMG_0320.jpg

Superman Danae (or however its spelt):
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/IMG_0321.jpg