PDA

View Full Version : Ok need ideas

StirCrazy
05-11-2003, 04:53 PM
so I have the 25 gal tank in the bottom of my stand and it has rock, mushrooms, zooos, montipora digitata and a big torch coral. The problem is aside from Pods and worms there are no critters.

so what are some good ideas for this tank (as in fish ect.) I don't mind having one or two of a single type of fish, as long as they will be out and about.

Oh I should also add I would like a sorta low maintance fish for the bottom tank, something that will eat when fed but doesen't have to be fed more than once a day. and nothing that will rearange the sandbed :rolleyes:

Steve

Samw
05-11-2003, 05:51 PM
Is this a refugium? How about a neon dottyback? You can get captive bred ones too.

If not used as a refugium, how about a couple of leopard wrasses?

Troy F
05-11-2003, 06:51 PM
25gal is not enough tank for one leopard wrasse let alone two. If you're not using it as a refugium, then I like the dottyback suggestion but keep in mind they're hunters and will go after pods and such. I'm partial to the firefish for that tank. They're mid-water planktivores so they won't mess with anything on the rock or sand bed.

Canadian Man
05-11-2003, 08:17 PM
bangai cardinals?

StirCrazy
05-11-2003, 09:31 PM
I forgot to mention that I have 20X the tank volume of water flow in this tank so fish that like calmer waters are out.

the tank is not a refuge, I have a refuge ontop of the stand that flows back to the main tank.. this is a secondary show tank.

here is a pic of the tank. maybe it will inspire some ideas :mrgreen:

http://members.shaw.ca/stircrazy/bottomtank01.jpg

Steve

canadawest
05-12-2003, 07:51 AM
While Bangaiis are great low maintenance fish, they are also nocturnal predators and will decimate a pod population in that size tank in no time.

If it's not a refugium, then Bangaiis would be a great choice for a tank that size.

Samw
05-12-2003, 07:55 AM
Get one or 2 of these then Steve

http://www.hyperdream.com/~samw/reef/Fish/FirefishNHelfrichi/133-3388_img_std.jpg

StirCrazy
05-12-2003, 04:21 PM
Sam, will they handle high currents?

Andrew, I was under the impression the bangaiis liked slower flowing water from watching mine, how do yours cope with the currents?

Steve

canadawest
05-12-2003, 05:37 PM
Yeah Steve, they are calmer water fish. Mine hang out in the lower current areas, and even when swimming around the tank tend to avoid the higher current spots.

They like to hover and high currents tend to mess with hovering.

Samw
05-12-2003, 06:43 PM
Steve, could you somehow point your output towards some rocks or barriers to reduce blasting the entire tank? I guess firefish tend to prefer the middle of the water column. I don't have any myself, and not planning on getting any. I can't afford the ones in the pic anyhow but thought it would be neat if someone else could buy one so we can enjoy them through pictures and association. :mrgreen: I think firefish are occasional jumpers though.

StirCrazy
05-12-2003, 06:55 PM
hmm.. this is a real open top tank also. the nozzels are not movable, I designed it to give the most chaotic flow I could get in that tank and then cemented it togeather.

I am thinking of doing the same for the top tank but leaving them so I can adjust them.

Steve

Quinn
05-12-2003, 07:04 PM
you know, for my fuge i've been considering an invert one would normally not want in a display tank - like a large crab. i was thinking of looking into a coral banded shrimp and an arrow crab, not sure if they would fight... as far as i know, neither eat pods so you'd still have that (key) benefit.

StirCrazy
05-12-2003, 07:18 PM
Well to tell the truth I set this tank up for a nice mantis shrimp but I have yet to find one.. seams when you don;t want them they are all around and when you do want one they are hard to find.

Steve

Dorkel Marine 1
05-13-2003, 06:52 AM
how's about a sixline wrasse. Or my favorite and i think it would do well in this tank, Bicolor Blenny. They would both be active and low maintenance.

George.

StirCrazy
05-18-2003, 11:26 PM
Well out of the blue I got a phone call and Bam the tank has a new occupant.

here is a pic of the little cutie :mrgreen:

http://members.shaw.ca/stircrazy/mantis.jpg

now just waiting for him to come out and eat :neutral:

Steve