PDA

View Full Version : Another new member

liftcrew
12-13-2008, 02:10 PM
Hi everyone
I have caught the reef bug again, set up a new tank, and broke the bank.
Same old story.
I was hoping to get some input from those experienced with home made concrete rock.
Recipes?
Styles?
Curing techniques?
PH woes?
Any experiences you may have had, good or bad.
Also looking for more Zooanthus if you are overgrown and wish to sell.

phillybean
12-13-2008, 02:47 PM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1156212

Good information on the first page.

I was going to make my own rock, but decided just to buy some off a local instead. If you give it time, you can find rock on canreef or castanet for $5/lb.

What size tank do you have?

I don't have anything to sell/trade right now, but I think we'll be doing a frag swap in the early Spring.

And welcome to Canreef :)

new but handy
12-13-2008, 02:54 PM
Morning.
Use portland cement mixed with reef sand also if you mix in rock salt (driveway salt), after you cure the rock it all dissolves and leaves very porous rock. The rock has to be cured for along time(I left mine for 4 months)
I cured mine in a rubbermade bin full of fresh water, I also did a water change every week or so.
If you use rock salt, you have to be carefull how much, or the rock just falls apart

reef bound
12-13-2008, 04:17 PM
I think ARGAN from Kamloops made some of his own rock as well. Maybe PM him.

Bugsy
12-13-2008, 04:28 PM
Welcome to Canreef.....:mrgreen:

Where do you live in the Okanagan??

:B-fly:

liftcrew
12-13-2008, 04:52 PM
I am near Penticton.
I have set up 65 gal in a 36 inch high tank. 400 watt MH 20K, skimmer, 400 gph wave maker, deep gravel bed cranking 800 gph and an outside nitrate chamber.
Used concrete, coral sand, and ground styrofoam to duplicate a fave dive site. The concrete reef was done in three stacking pieces and cured for 8 weeks in running water.
The ph spike, when I went to salt water, was impressive. I was two weeks and a 50% water change before I got the ph down to 8.3. Seems to be fine now and several small mushrooms have taken residence on the structure. I seeded the tank with 40 lbs of small uncured liverock. I am thinking that estimates of a one month cure time you read about is cutting it a little close and the 4 - 8 months is closer to the safe truth.

argan
12-13-2008, 07:06 PM
Hi there, welcome to the forums!

I used the Basic GARF recipe with a little less cement and added sand and Water Softener Salt instead of Driveway salt.

I did that because the Softener salt is fit for human consumption, so i figured its more fish safe.

Here is some links to threads on here

My Build thread (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38808)

MMLR (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40688&highlight=DIY+rock)

More with pics (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41157&highlight=DIY+rock)

Reefer Rob's tank has some nice DIY rock and links to his pics are on the MMLR thread, 3rd page

brizzo
12-13-2008, 09:49 PM
Welcome aboard! Funny, I was wondering a couple days ago if there were any salt stores in Pentiction...

So wheres the pictures? :mrgreen:

liftcrew
12-13-2008, 11:20 PM
Total pet is in Penticton and has good deals during their 2 for one sale.

pinner_28
12-15-2008, 05:31 PM
welcome aboard lift crew
i'm also in penticton and have some leftover base rook if your in need of some
Terry

Starry
12-15-2008, 10:12 PM
I have some MML sitting in a bucket. Only used 1/4 of what I made.

liftcrew
12-15-2008, 11:29 PM
What did you use for ingredients and how long did it take to cure?

Starry
12-17-2008, 08:24 AM
I used cement (type 10), caribsea seafloor sand and softner salt. Dont remember the ratios though, something like 1:1:2 I let it cure for about 3 months in the backs of my toilets for constant water changes :biggrin: If you look in my gallery I have some pix of a few pieces.

Doug
12-17-2008, 01:29 PM
Hi everyone
I have caught the reef bug again, set up a new tank, and broke the bank.
Same old story.
I was hoping to get some input from those experienced with home made concrete rock.
Recipes?
Styles?
Curing techniques?
PH woes?
Any experiences you may have had, good or bad.
Also looking for more Zooanthus if you are overgrown and wish to sell.

Welcome to Canreef