PDA

View Full Version : Spawning Clowns

Mrfish55
12-13-2008, 03:51 AM
I know its common and happens all the time, but I actually caught them in the act tonight, they have been going at it for close to an hour and have deposited quite a mass (underneath my bubble coral)
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr88/Mrfish55/IMG_1439.jpg

Alberta-newb
12-13-2008, 04:18 AM
Congratulations! They look like like very proud and attentive parents.

Mrfish55
12-13-2008, 05:39 AM
Thanks, they were still spawning as that pic was taken, they were about half done as the final patch of eggs is about 2x2 inches. I will try and get some pics next week when they hatch. Someday I would like to try and rear some, these poor fellas are coral food :cry:

Keri
12-13-2008, 05:59 AM
It's always exciting!! Are you planning on raising the fry?

Mrfish55
12-13-2008, 06:06 AM
It's always exciting!! Are you planning on raising the fry?

I would like to but they are housed in a 300 gal tank and they layed the eggs on a piece of rock attached to my bubble coral which is too big to remove, if any happen to make it to the sump I will try and rescue them, longest I have been able to keep fry is about ten days then they all seem to drop off.

Keri
12-13-2008, 06:15 AM
If you want to get the eggs out easier you can put a ceramic tile on top of where they normally lay, they should eventually get used to it and then you can easily remove the eggs, feeding the fry is a bit of work tho to grow the rotifers, I've kind of been looking into it for my own but can't find rotifers

Mrfish55
12-13-2008, 06:28 AM
If you want to get the eggs out easier you can put a ceramic tile on top of where they normally lay, they should eventually get used to it and then you can easily remove the eggs, feeding the fry is a bit of work tho to grow the rotifers, I've kind of been looking into it for my own but can't find rotifers

The ceramic tile idea sounds good but I cant reach the spot! (tank is built into wall with service room behind and they layed the eggs in the front under the bubble, which is near the front and middle of the tank (72"x 36") I would need four foot arms with an extra elbow to reach it!) I have had success in the past by turning off all circulation the night of the hatch and then attract them to one spot with a bright spot light and then netting them, so if I am around when they hatch I may try that again.

Keri
12-13-2008, 06:33 AM
I see your problem! Makes it easier to photograph tho ;)

The spotlighting is a good idea :)

Mrfish55
12-13-2008, 06:41 AM
I dont mind the location, the old tank they allways spawned on the back side so I never really got to see (the old tank had a painted back and was against the wall), I figured I would outsmart them as the new tank is accessible from the service room, I just hang a curtain over the back so I could see what they were doing in behind, now that I am prepared they change there mind and move to the front!

Lance
12-13-2008, 11:05 PM
I dont mind the location, the old tank they allways spawned on the back side so I never really got to see (the old tank had a painted back and was against the wall), I figured I would outsmart them as the new tank is accessible from the service room, I just hang a curtain over the back so I could see what they were doing in behind, now that I am prepared they change there mind and move to the front!

Damn fish! They never do what what you want them to.

Mrfish55
12-14-2008, 12:16 AM
Damn fish! They never do what what you want them to.

Guess thats why they call them clowns!

Lance
12-14-2008, 01:12 AM
Guess thats why they call them clowns!

I like to call them "Little Bastards". Always go after me when I have my hands in the tank.

Mrfish55
12-14-2008, 01:19 AM
I like to call them "Little Bastards". Always go after me when I have my hands in the tank.

X10 when they have eggs, I don't dare put my hands in there right now