PDA

View Full Version : Mangroves

StirCrazy
05-10-2003, 11:39 PM
Hey, there seams to be a lot of activity in the Calgary forum on them so I thought maby we should get a thread going about opinions on them and such.

from what I have read they are a slow exporter of nutrents and you need a fair amount to get any filtering benifit on a larger tank. so how would you set this up?

for the people that haven't heard I sold my house last week so I am starting to put togeather ideas for a new set up in the new house. .. big tank ect, and I was thinking a mangrove "lagoon" type refuge if the opinion is that they are worth the effort.

Steve

Seriak
05-11-2003, 03:45 AM
From what I have heard. You need 1 for every four gallons of water. Therefore, I would need over 25 of them. For me I do not have the space for that. I keep my mangroves purely for interest sake. My caulerpa will take care of the rest.

StirCrazy
05-11-2003, 04:41 AM
this 1 for 4 gal, is that if mangroves are the only method of filtration employed?

Steve

EmilyB
05-11-2003, 05:26 AM
I just think they look cool :cool: Especially when you can get them in such great shape as these. I want to try them across the back of my 120g FOWLR if I can figure out how to pin them so they stay there. :confused:

They're just floating here in the 33g for now. They just look so earthy I think... :biggrin:

http://www.members.shaw.ca/beans666/mangroves.jpg

stephane
05-11-2003, 06:45 AM
I have ten that I bring back from Cancun this winter so far they seem to do well but still no leaf

sumpfinfishe
05-11-2003, 09:40 AM
I have kept a single mangrove in my reef now for the past few months.
It's not for filter purposes, instead for looks mainly.
I decided to plant mine in the substrate and it's doing really well. Over the last month two new leafs have sprouted. Despite some belief my mangrove is completly submersed, which after reading an article by J.Sprung I learned that mangroves will also survive and grow in this state.
The article is titled "Magnificent Mangroves-A Guide to the Ecology and Care of Mangroves", it's a great basic read for anyone who wishes to start using these wonderful plants. I don't know if it's from one of his books or if it's an article of some sort. maybe try his website at www.twolittlefishies.com

I was given a copy when I picked up my mangrove a few months back.

cheers, sumpfinfishe

Seriak
05-12-2003, 03:19 PM
Yes, that is 1 for every four gallons if Mangroves are the only method of Biological filtration.