PDA

View Full Version : torch tips trouble

reef bound
12-12-2008, 05:41 PM
My torch seems to be losing a couple of its tips. All water parameters are good, no other problems in the tank at all, even with other lps corals. I'm just wondering if it is too high up in my tank. The other lps are in the bottom 1/2 of the tank while the torch is in the top 1/2, probably about 2/3 of the way up in a 25" tall tank. No other corals are near it to sting it. It seems that the tentacles get a bit puffy, then I notice a tip missing in the next day or so. It has grown (in the last couple of weeks it seems), and we now have 3 or 4 heads on it, from the 2 heads that it had in october when we got it. We have 250w metal halides, 14,000k. All the places I look at online tell me different things. Some say medium light, others say medium to high, others say lower to medium. Any thoughts? And if I need to move it, can it be close to frogspawn or hammer coral?
Thanks.

truperc
12-12-2008, 05:52 PM
When ever I have had a tip die I have fragged the colony to make sure what has happened does not spread. This is just a precaution and I have never read anywhere that one should do it. Once when I did not frag I continued to loose more heads, so I concluded to separate the heads as soon as possible. I would also move them lower as this could be the problem, then slowly increase the light by moving them higher in the tank if this is where you want them. They can adapt to many different levels of light, just don't shock them by increasing it too quickly.

You can put them close to a frogspawn and hammer as they are in the same family and should not bother each other. Good luck