PDA

View Full Version : Bio load and septic tank bacteria

my2rotties
12-12-2008, 04:57 PM
My tank was doing awesome with my livestock. All water parameters were ZERO. Now that I have my little fatso porky my ammonia is spiking just a little bit. I have read that people used septobac to drop these level naturally.

I have a different product for my septic system called Super Septic. It is made here in Alberta. It is supposed to be 100% non toxic with no chemicals of any kind. I tried phoning the seller but there is no answer. I also googled to see if I could find any data sheets on the product. I wanted to put a tiny amount in my sump to speed things along. I saw a seller on the forums selling a product that appears to be the same thing, so I am wondering if I am on the right track.

Anybody know about this?

Keri
12-12-2008, 08:36 PM
Using a septic chemical in the aquarium scares me - but what do I know? I'll just bump it and maybe someone else will know.

Aquattro
12-12-2008, 08:45 PM
I'd just let things balance out naturally.

dabandit
12-12-2008, 08:45 PM
You have a 260 gallon tank,a little late for cheaping out isnt it lol. Im sure you have a couple thousand in livestock,why risk it?

Slick Fork
12-12-2008, 08:51 PM
where did you buy super septic? I've been looking for something good for my septic system. Have you tried it?

Back on topic, I wouldn't put it in my aquarium. If you have any of Seachem's "Prime" it converts ammonia into something less toxic and IS rated for use in aquariums.

RuGlu6
12-12-2008, 08:55 PM
how about this?
http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/zv-bac010/ZEOvit+ZEObak+Micro-organism+Solution+-+10ml.html

my2rotties
12-12-2008, 09:05 PM
I bought it at the Moose mountain hardware store in Bragg Creek. It is $12 for a little tub. It kicks butt for my septic system for sure. My septic guy said never bother with the sept-bac stuff from the grocery stores. It is all natural bacteria and comes in a very fine powder unlike the septo-bac which appears to have metals and such in it. When you put it into water it dissolves instantly. The company is in Cochrane.

where did you buy super septic? I've been looking for something good for my septic system. Have you tried it?

Back on topic, I wouldn't put it in my aquarium. If you have any of Seachem's "Prime" it converts ammonia into something less toxic and IS rated for use in aquariums.

my2rotties
12-12-2008, 09:07 PM
It just started running, and I hardly have any livestock at all. It has been running for a month without anything in it and was fine for the last week. The ammonia went from 0 to .50 since the puffer came home. I will be adding a 55g refugium tonight so I will be adding a lot of water on top of the 70g sump.

You have a 260 gallon tank,a little late for cheaping out isnt it lol. Im sure you have a couple thousand in livestock,why risk it?

my2rotties
12-12-2008, 09:09 PM
That is what planted the seed about my septic tank bacteria since it is essentially the same thing. NO chemicals just bacteria. I just wondered if anyone else knew anymore about it.

how about this?
http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/zv-bac010/ZEOvit+ZEObak+Micro-organism+Solution+-+10ml.html

dabandit
12-12-2008, 09:47 PM
I was reading your thread about your new puffer you seem to care alot for your fish. I myself would take the safe route ,there is all kinds of products and medias you can run that are tried and true. Maybe the concentration of bacteria in that septic product is too high who knows

christyf5
12-12-2008, 10:29 PM
Yikes, just do a waterchange.

Likely putting a fish that eats and poops that much is just giving your tank a little cycle. Keep an eye on it and for gosh sakes don't put that septic stuff near your tank :eek:

Slick Fork
12-12-2008, 10:30 PM
This stuff would be bacteria for Freshwater though if it's meant for your septic, putting it into Saltwater would just kill it all off and exasperate your ammonia problem.

Lance
12-12-2008, 10:34 PM
yikes, just do a waterchange.

Likely putting a fish that eats and poops that much is just giving your tank a little cycle. Keep an eye on it and for gosh sakes don't put that septic stuff near your tank :eek:

absolutely!!

Delphinus
12-12-2008, 10:47 PM
Letting the tank rebalance itself on its own is the best course of action. If you really DO need to reinfuse bacteria then use a product intended for use on aquariums: Cycle, or one of the probiotic products (Zeovit has bacterial based additives including some you can use to cycle a tank). Don't let a $12 mistake be a show stopper.

my2rotties
12-12-2008, 10:53 PM
Already did a 50g change and am adding a 55g refugium tonight so the water should be fine. If not I will change more water... this fish is a pig.

Yikes, just do a waterchange.

my2rotties
12-12-2008, 10:56 PM
Thats what I thought, but I wanted to make sure. I know I read on some forum that people cycled their tanks with the same bacteria. I never tried it myself and cannot find those posts now. I know in some of my reading over the past year they said the bacteria for salt or fresh was the same stuff. This is why I come and ask the pros...:smile:

Letting the tank rebalance itself on its own is the best course of action. If you really DO need to reinfuse bacteria then use a product intended for use on aquariums: Cycle, or one of the probiotic products (Zeovit has bacterial based additives including some you can use to cycle a tank). Don't let a $12 mistake be a show stopper.