PDA

View Full Version : Light Fixture ?

gregb.
12-11-2008, 10:24 PM
I'm looking at purchasing a 60" 2x250w+4xT5HO Outer Orbit Current USA fixture.The tank size would be 65"L/24"D/20"H~135g.Would this fixture be adequate, as I want this to be a one time purchase,and not have to be upgraded later.Any opinions? Greg

fkshiu
12-12-2008, 05:19 PM
What do you want to keep long term? And will you be going to a different length tank at any point?

dabandit
12-12-2008, 05:41 PM
Im sure everyone has their own opinions,but i'd go with 3 halides over a tank that long. It will also help if you upgrade to a taller tank because you and I both know youll crave a bigger tank in time lol. But I'm sure that fixture would work fine.

rocketlily
12-12-2008, 06:25 PM
Outer Orbit is a very nice fixture but the ballasts are very noisey.

lorenz0
12-12-2008, 07:38 PM
Outer Orbit is a very nice fixture but the ballasts are very noisey.

I heard the same about the ballasts. Its a nice fixture but you will also want to upgrade your bulbs.

MikeP
12-12-2008, 08:13 PM
I think you'd want three MH's over a tank that long too. My tank is 60" and I have three separate reflectors with good light distribution.

Welcome to Canreef!

fkshiu
12-12-2008, 08:25 PM
You'll only need 3 MHs over your tank if you have mediocre reflectors like the little ones you get with the Outer Orbit. Two Lumenmax reflectors over my 72" tank covers the entire length just fine.

rocketlily
12-12-2008, 09:03 PM
You'll only need 3 MHs over your tank if you have mediocre reflectors like the little ones you get with the Outer Orbit. Two Lumenmax reflectors over my 72" tank covers the entire length just fine.

Probably very true of the outer orbit. I have a 36" Outer Orbit with 2 - 250 MH and it covers the 40" width of the tank nicely. I don't know if 2 of them in a longer fixture would cover 60" efficiently.

MikeP
12-12-2008, 09:39 PM

Really?! I bought 2 lumenmax's (mogul base) and I needed to add a third in the middle otherwise it was too dark. How high above the tank do you have them? I'd love to see a pic if you got one.

-Sorry for the hijack gregb.

gregb.
12-12-2008, 10:46 PM
It's all fine at the price I'm buying it for,~$1000.00,I'm going to buy it.I'm not going to change tanks,I have a fishroom full of tanks.I would just add a another larger tank if I get the desire.

fkshiu
12-12-2008, 11:10 PM
Really?! I bought 2 lumenmax's (mogul base) and I needed to add a third in the middle otherwise it was too dark. How high above the tank do you have them? I'd love to see a pic if you got one.

-Sorry for the hijack gregb.

Here's a slightly overexposed shot with my old XM10Ks in:
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c197/fkshiu/IMG_3157.jpg

I placed the pendants sideways instead of front to back and have them about 11" over the surface.

As to the OP, you should pretty much be able to keep anything with that fixture with only a 20" deep tank although, as mentioned, there are much better bulbs out there.

gregb.
12-13-2008, 12:58 AM
As the bulbs are basically being used in the cycling process and initially easy corals,I have all the fish in 66g FOWLR,I can upgrade the bulbs when they've lost there effectiveness.The fixture itself was my concern,I don't want to have to replace it because it's not good enough for my needs,changing bulbs is easy.Greg