PDA

View Full Version : Potters angel?

fishytime
12-11-2008, 02:49 PM
I was just wondering what others experiences with potters angels are. I want one badly, but keep getting scared away the more I read. 1) they are supposed to be more prone to munching ( I have a mixed reef with 4 clams). 2) they dont play nice with other angels ( I have a flame angel and a bi-color angel, tank is 110g six footer). 3) they dont adjust as easily as other angels to a new tank ( see point 2, and my tank has always had an ick problem). The potters that I am considering is larger than both of my resident angels. I know that each fish is its own individual and one should not generalize. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Barrett.Oliver
12-11-2008, 02:57 PM
The only insight that I can give you on the Potters Angel, is the ones you are currently looking at are absolutely beautiful! They are also big, compared to any I have ever seen. Sorry that I'm no help, I'm generally only good at pointing out the blatantly obvious in this hobby. I generally do the question asking.

The Codfather
12-11-2008, 04:06 PM
My suggetion is not to get it. If you already have two angels, both of which leave your clams alone, consider yourself lucky. Dont tempt fate. Unless of course you think you can easily catch it after. I have an emporor right now, I have tried to catch for several weeks, if he is not feed regularly and on time he starts grazing on anything in front of him. Then again just my opinion.

Delphinus
12-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Personally, of the Centropyge species, I think potter's are perhaps my favourite.

I'm on my second one right now. I lost the first in a tank move gone bad (actually lost the entire tank's fish inhabitants. :( ). I lost an ember/stigmatica blenny that day too thanks to that stupid anemone.

Never had a problem with nipping at corals (that I can see anyhow), never had a problem with clams either. Model citizens.

QUITE TIMID at first and it took a LONG time for her to get settled. However two years in she don't take no crap from no-one (there was a problem with my sixline bullying her at first, nipped and torn fins .. I tried to remove the sixline, you may remember my thread describing the misdventures of trying to fish for a sixline - but after a few weeks suddenly the fortunes turned, she started fighting back {only in retaliation}, she ended up beating the crap out of my sixline and there's never been a problem between the two since).

The fact that the two in the store seem to get along fine with each other is, in my opinion, worth something. They should almost go together to a new home because I don't know if you can pair up Centropyge's after them being solitary. I don't know .. maybe you can, but it wouldn't surprise me to learn otherwise. If they are a male/female pairing then that's got to be worth something.

Trigger Man
12-11-2008, 06:24 PM
My suggetion is not to get it. If you already have two angels, both of which leave your clams alone, consider yourself lucky. Dont tempt fate. Unless of course you think you can easily catch it after. I have an emporor right now, I have tried to catch for several weeks, if he is not feed regularly and on time he starts grazing on anything in front of him. Then again just my opinion.

I found getting the emporor out of my tank worked when I did it at night when everything was sleeping (works really well for tangs), then you can use something to push it out of it's hiding spot and scoop it up. Also to get out my Queen when I had one I would feed at one corner with the most space, and about a week later when I fed and the Queen came up to that corner I was able to scoop it out (now if only I could figure out how to get my Red coris out, like you if I don't feed it breakfast it decides to nip at my zoas)