PDA

View Full Version : My tank at 6am

christyf5
12-11-2008, 04:10 AM
I was up early the other morning and dosed my tank with its morning zeo. I decided to get out the flashlight and have a look see. Surprised to find this guy as I don't recall ever putting one in this tank.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/IMG_4423.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/IMG_4427.jpg

Then found this:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/IMG_4424.jpg

This is how my wrasse deals with not having a sandbed. Freaked the crap out of me for a sec. Since that morning I've checked the tank with a flashlight a few times and he's always like that wedged under a rock or something.

I also found two sketchy looking crabs. We won't talk about that though :razz:

Keri
12-11-2008, 04:22 AM
Haa!

Too funny, yeah that wrasse would make me do a double-take too!!

Nice score on the pom pom crab!

andestang
12-11-2008, 04:58 AM
I just love Pom Pom's. Nice little find if you never added him :)

Trigger Man
12-11-2008, 05:58 AM
always great to get nice hitchhikers. My wrasses do the same thing in my bb.

Jaws
12-11-2008, 07:26 PM
I always wondered about keeping wrasses with no sandbed. I guess they still get by fine though?

Borderjumper
12-11-2008, 07:44 PM
I always wondered about keeping wrasses with no sandbed. I guess they still get by fine though?

I think it depends on the type of wrasse. I had a pencil wrasse in a BB and it never did get the hang of no sand. It was constantly beating itself up trying to bury itself. It all but tore its dorsal off and the top of its head had so scales left. I took it out and put in my other tank that has sand and it was sooo happy and its injurys healed in a week.

I still have 2 yellow wrasses in the BB.. they seem to have kinda learned that they can not bury themselves.. but they do look a little worse for wear from trying

christyf5
12-11-2008, 08:17 PM
I think it depends on the type of wrasse. I had a pencil wrasse in a BB and it never did get the hang of no sand. It was constantly beating itself up trying to bury itself. It all but tore its dorsal off and the top of its head had so scales left. I took it out and put in my other tank that has sand and it was sooo happy and its injurys healed in a week.

I still have 2 yellow wrasses in the BB.. they seem to have kinda learned that they can not bury themselves.. but they do look a little worse for wear from trying

Yeah the last tailspot wrasse I had had some issues when I went from having a sandbed to barebottom. He would wedge himself in under a rock and ended up having a nasty gash on his operculum. My neon goby did a nice job of keeping that clean while it healed. Eventually he learned that he could gently tuck himself under the rock and didn't have to ram himself into it. Sadly he had a run in with a clam, and the clam won. This wrasse has adjusted to no sandbed much more smoothly and without injury :biggrin:

fishoholic
12-11-2008, 08:42 PM
Then found this:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/IMG_4424.jpg

This is how my wrasse deals with not having a sandbed. Freaked the crap out of me for a sec.

That would totally freak me out! Glad he's ok. Cool pom pom, nice find :biggrin:

Tom R
12-11-2008, 09:15 PM
I decided to get out the flashlight and have a look see. Surprised to find this guy as I don't recall ever putting one in this tank.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/IMG_4423.jpg

And yes Christy there is a Santa

Tom R

Do you think J&L noticed that they were missing a pom pom crab on their last inventory count?

christyf5
12-11-2008, 09:38 PM
And yes Christy there is a Santa

Tom R

Do you think J&L noticed that they were missing a pom pom crab on their last inventory count?

No, I was pretty stealthy :razz:

Just kidding of course!!:mrgreen:

I have a feeling if I look through the various cobwebs of my mind that I may have thrown one in there like ages ago. Well over a year and a half ago (probly close to two) I was cleaning out my skanky refugium and found a pom pom crab in there, I just turfed him in the main tank. I was sure that he would have croaked with the massive salinity change (wasn't hooked up to the main tank) but maybe not. I can't believe he would have lasted that long with the wrasse in there (hes a voracious hunter), then again, those other two little hairball crabs have been in there awhile too.

Tom R
12-11-2008, 10:17 PM
I love it when I spend hours pondering a purchase. I then make the decision to take it home. Spending hours doing the acclimation thing. Putting it into the tank not to be seen again for 2 or 3 years and then out of nowhere that dam anemone is right out there stinging my favorite coral.

Tom R

banditpowdercoat
12-13-2008, 03:41 AM
I keep a flashlight beside the tank at all times. A LED light. Love coming home when I was working afternoon shift, lights all out, and just spying on them. Peanut worms, chitons, crabs. All sorts of neat things come out in the dark

Doug
12-13-2008, 05:01 PM
Great shots Christy.

WuHT
12-15-2008, 10:14 AM
Wouldn't be unreasonable if you had a small dish or a corner filled with sand.

justinl
12-15-2008, 03:25 PM
lol nice find. Im wondering where you got your (2) melanurus wrasses... Ive been looking all over and have nothing.

christyf5
12-15-2008, 04:04 PM
Yeah I haven't ever seen them in stores except for my first one that was from someone taking their tank down and bringing all their livestock in to a store here in Nanaimo. The second one was from someone in Mission that was taking their tank down as well and I jumped on it as soon as I saw the post (heh what I won't do for a fish, good thing I was living in Van at the time, still a big drive). They're pretty dang awesome fish too, big copepod/worm hunters and great characters.