PDA

View Full Version : Anenome question

Dorkel Marine 1
05-10-2003, 06:19 AM
Hi everyone. would like opinions and suggestions regarding the possibility of getting an anenome for a 27 gal tank. If too small then no, thats fine. I have a wild caught percula clown and would like to get an anenome that has the highest percent of a chance for the clown to host. I've read that Bubble tips are the best and that also there are not quarantees.

Also has anyone had a condy anenome. Your experiences would be greatly appreciated.

George Muller

newgeek
05-10-2003, 02:51 PM
Clowns don't host in condys, I found that out after I bought one. I learned the hard way on that .... research then buy. http://www.amdareef.com/ho_anemones.htm This may help you out.
Good luck,
Kelly

CHEAPREEF
05-10-2003, 03:05 PM
My Maroon clown hosted in my cony, it all depends on th fish.

Clinton

Coffeeman
05-10-2003, 03:27 PM
I have a flower anemone in my 7 gallon, my sebae is using it as a host, it took him a while before he would go into it though.

Bob I
05-10-2003, 04:18 PM
I have a flower anenome in my 7 gallon, my sebae is using it as a host, it took him a while before he would go into it though.

You have me at a disadvantage. I don't know what a Flower Anemone is. :redface:

Bob I
05-10-2003, 04:26 PM
Hi everyone. would like opinions and suggestions regarding the possibility of getting an anenome for a 27 gal tank. If too small then no, thats fine. I have a wild caught percula clown and would like to get an anenome that has the highest percent of a chance for the clown to host. I've read that Bubble tips are the best and that also there are not quarantees.

Also has anyone had a condy anenome. Your experiences would be greatly appreciated.

George Muller

If I am correct, a 27 gallon tank is 12 inches wide. I would say that a tank of that size will be too small in the long term. I find that anemones vary tremendously is size depending on time of day and mood of the animal. I have a LTA in a standard 10 gallon tank hosting a small Tomato Clown. As I look at it this morning it is about four inches across. That is a perfect size for the tank. However, later in the day it will be almost a foot across if you count the inflated tentacles. That is too big in my mind, so it is slated to be given away. :cry:

Coffeeman
05-10-2003, 05:17 PM
The Flower Anemone, also known as the Red Sea or Horse Anemone, is a member of the Actiniidae family. They are found in two distinctive color forms, purple and brownish- red. The purple variation of the Flower Anemone has 192 tentacles, and may reach up to 7 cm. The brownish-red variation of the Flower Anemone has 124 tentacles and may reach a size of 3 cm.

The Flower Anemone can live singly or in groups. They prefer to live on shaded, vertical rock walls. Insensitive to temperature and salinity fluctuations, these anemones live close to the tank surface in home aquariums. The Flower Anemone is usually found with its tentacles contracted into a rounded position, since it is nocturnal, and only opens at night.

The Flower Anemone is a carnivore, and requires meaty foods to survive. Offer mussels and freshly chopped fish meat, as well as high quality frozen foods. Adding iodine and trace elements to the aquarium will help the Flower Anemone thrive.

DJ88
05-11-2003, 03:17 AM
Just for the record.

A pair of Perc's I had went ape sh!t for a condy I used to have a couple of years ago. Tho they also hosted in a carpet. So you never know. Maybe they had a taste for the more powerful anemones.. who knows.