PDA

View Full Version : Blue Streaked /velvet damsel

krschulz
12-10-2008, 11:02 PM
I bought one of these awhile back and am now finding alot of trouble keeping my soft corals alive (with good water quality). Has anyone had a problem with this particular species? I know they can be territorial and aggressive but is that toward their own kind or everything else in my reef tank? Have lost frog spawn, torch, hammer corals, gonoporas and the like. Should I segregate this guy?

marie
12-11-2008, 12:36 AM
I bought one of these awhile back and am now finding alot of trouble keeping my soft corals alive (with good water quality). Has anyone had a problem with this particular species? I know they can be territorial and aggressive but is that toward their own kind or everything else in my reef tank? Have lost frog spawn, torch, hammer corals, gonoporas and the like. Should I segregate this guy?

Is the fish eating the corals? Damsels are usually pretty reefsafe although I wouldn't put anything past them.
Also frogspawn, torch, ect are LPS corals and not softies

krschulz
12-11-2008, 12:43 AM
Thanks. Not sure the difference between SPS and LPS. He seems to pick at them but not sure if it's just algae on the hard stalks or if he is after the polyps. He picked at a Xenia which shrivelled and died within 2 days.

marie
12-11-2008, 02:08 AM
Thanks. Not sure the difference between SPS and LPS. He seems to pick at them but not sure if it's just algae on the hard stalks or if he is after the polyps. He picked at a Xenia which shrivelled and died within 2 days.

SPS=small polyped stonys, LPS=large polyp stonys. Both have a hard, calcium based skeleton.
Softies have no hard skeleton anywhere (like xenia) although they do have calcium spicules in the coral tissue to supply some rigidity

You could always try removing the fish and see if it helps but I suspect you might have some water quality problems your not (or can't) testing for.

tang daddy
12-11-2008, 06:06 PM
these guys are evil I had one in my fowler he got beat up really bad so I put him in my frag tank big mistake He went for all the softies from xenia to anthelia then he went for more expensive stuff I finally caught him and donated him to a freind who had recently set up a tank, he gave it to BA's a week later as they get bigger they will turn a nice brown colour...JK lol get rid of him before he causes more grief.

fdiddy
12-11-2008, 06:53 PM
damsels = the devil. Had one that wouldnt let the crabs outta their shells... what up with that? Every time they poked their legs out he would go after them..