PDA

View Full Version : Bicolor/Royal Dottyback - Anyone have one in a 72G with no problems?

Carmen
12-10-2008, 06:42 PM
I am picking up a fish that came with a royal dottyback from another reefer - PACKAGE DEAL!
So I am hesitant to put a dottyback in my tank for fear it will harass all future additions to the tank.
Anyone think these fish are okay and worth taking a chance on it? I doubt I will be able to catch it once it's in so I need to make a decision before I add it tonight!

To the DISPLAY or To the SUMP?

Carmen

ponokareefer
12-10-2008, 07:08 PM
I have my orchid dottyback in with 2 tangs, 2 cinnamon clowns, 2 pajama cardinals, a flame angel and 3 green chromis's, and he is typically hiding unless it is feeding time. I have never seen him attack or be at all aggressive to anyone. I added the clowns, a tang, the cardinals, and the chromis's after the dottyback, and I have never seen him go after anyone. I did have a randall's goby for about a year until he went missing in action, but never saw the 2 of them fight.

Carmen
12-10-2008, 08:14 PM
I have my orchid dottyback in with 2 tangs, 2 cinnamon clowns, 2 pajama cardinals, a flame angel and 3 green chromis's, and he is typically hiding unless it is feeding time. I have never seen him attack or be at all aggressive to anyone. I added the clowns, a tang, the cardinals, and the chromis's after the dottyback, and I have never seen him go after anyone. I did have a randall's goby for about a year until he went missing in action, but never saw the 2 of them fight.

Thanks Ponokareefer although from what I have read the orchid is less agressive than the royal?? Correct me if I am wrong?

I would love to keep this little fishy but don'y want to regret adding a little hellion.:wink:

Carmen

MikeP
12-10-2008, 08:24 PM
I've heard they can be quite aggressive but I've never kept one so I don't know from experience. Here is a

http://www.marinecenter.com/fish/pseudochromisdottybacks/bicolorpseudochromis/

HTH

Skimmerking
12-10-2008, 10:26 PM
mine killed my 2 anthias that i had.

X-Treme
12-10-2008, 11:57 PM
nevermind....tried to delete my post but can't i guess.

lastlight
12-11-2008, 12:48 AM
Mine was with a lawnmower, 2 tomatoes and some chromis. Never harmed anyone at all. Only concern in the world was making sure no pods survived in my display. Trust me none did!

I will say tho that the other fish ran away from my large tomatoe when he was defending his turf. The orchid didn't seem to care.

midgetwaiter
12-11-2008, 06:23 AM
Mine was with a lawnmower, 2 tomatoes and some chromis. Never harmed anyone at all. Only concern in the world was making sure no pods survived in my display. Trust me none did!

I will say tho that the other fish ran away from my large tomatoe when he was defending his turf. The orchid didn't seem to care.

Orchid dottybacks are the least aggressive of the bunch except maybe the olive, your experience is typical. The dottyback Carmen is asking about is a Pacific species and quite rough on tank mates. In other words, IT'S COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

Carmen, if you have a 50g + tank you will probably not have a big problem. The fish will pick out and defend a territory but there is lots of room for others. In a smaller tank it wouldn't be a good idea.

lastlight
12-11-2008, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the clarification...

Get an Orchid!

Carmen
12-11-2008, 01:46 PM
Orchid dottybacks are the least aggressive of the bunch except maybe the olive, your experience is typical. The dottyback Carmen is asking about is a Pacific species and quite rough on tank mates. In other words, IT'S COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

Carmen, if you have a 50g + tank you will probably not have a big problem. The fish will pick out and defend a territory but there is lots of room for others. In a smaller tank it wouldn't be a good idea.

REALLY - I have a 72 with plenty of "hiding" spots and would love to keep him. Do you think it's worth a try?
Anyone have a royal dottyback in a 72G tank?

workn2hard2day
12-11-2008, 03:43 PM
Ours is in a 125,(all fish added at same time). He is a nasty little bugger, chasing everyone flaring his mouth (even at us) . But he has never nipped at the other fish. I do think if you had a more delicate fish, it wouldn't be able to handle the R/dottybacks in your face attitude. You could call him "the intimidater". LOL

BC564
12-11-2008, 04:42 PM
I have two dottybacks....orchid and some other one...lol.....anyways....they have been perfect fish......they have tons of hiding spots so that might be the key.