PDA

View Full Version : Buying glass in calgary?

FlamesFan
12-10-2008, 07:24 AM
I currently have a 90g display and am looking to custom build a 4x4x2 cube, so im looking for the best place to get glass from. Specifically I am looking to get 4 of the face panels of the tank in starfire glass. I've dealt with chinook glass in the past for non-aquarium related stuff but im not sure if the can get starfire. Before I start yellow paging it I figured id post this and see if someone has a place they'd recommend me to. Thank guys.

Der_Iron_Chef
12-10-2008, 08:29 AM
Bow Valley Aquarium :)

Delphinus
12-10-2008, 05:15 PM
Glass shops worth their salt should be able to get low-iron aka Starphire ("Starphire" is a brand name IIRC, there may be other brands who make low-iron glass as well). At least .. what I can tell you is I've dealt with Glass Guild in the past, and noticed that they can sell Starphire.

But yeah BVA can also set you up with glass. :lol: They might have a spare piece lying around .. or two. :lol:

lastlight
12-10-2008, 05:38 PM
If you want your glass cheap I'd recommend BVA. I wanted my glass PERIOD and even that proved to be near impossible. I'd find myself camped outside the shop with the same people a few days in a row/on weekends sharing scraps a certain someone fed us whenever he was answering his cell phone. I made nearly 10 trips before I was able to get all my glass.

My personal favorite was when this someone promised one of my fellow campers he was on his way to give us our glass. Then I called after waiting over an hour with this guy and we were told he had to rush a worker to the hospital because he had cut his hand badly on some glass.

We were at the shop. Nobody was working lol!

I eventually got my glass but it required careful cellphone tag between us guys waiting outside the shop over multiple days to get it. In the end I was about to be stood up again and said leave the glass outside. Only 1 piece was missing when I went to get it.

Gas is also cheaper now so you might not mind making 10 trips...

Jay180reef
12-10-2008, 07:23 PM
I don't know why, but glass shops are always puzzled why I would just walk in and expect to leave with glass. They don't even take your order before telling you it will take 2-4 weeks to get anything.