PDA

View Full Version : urchin ouch!!!

tgoeujon
12-10-2008, 02:18 AM
ok so i just got stung by my new hatpin urchin and im not positive the tip of the quill came out. should i be overly concerned? some quick response would be great. will post a pic if necessary

fishytime
12-10-2008, 02:31 AM
From what Ive read the sting is much like a bee sting so I wouldnt worry to much about the sting...unless of you have allergies or reactions to bee or wasp stings, then I might be nervous. I suppose if there is a piece of the quill still in you then there could be the risk of infection.

tgoeujon
12-10-2008, 02:33 AM
to tell the truth it doesnt feel like anything, which is probably good. thanks for the response i always get nervous about things i havent encountered yet

Trigger Man
12-10-2008, 02:35 AM
Unless you are allergic to it you'll be fine. To advoid infection put some polisporin or dip the affected area in some hard alcohol (hey it works for me) to kill any bacteria that may have gathered there.

tgoeujon
12-10-2008, 02:37 AM
perfect, hard alcohol always makes me happy:lol:

AaronG
12-10-2008, 02:59 AM
lol sorry man was it the long spine or the hat pin?

tgoeujon
12-10-2008, 03:01 AM
the hatpin, oh well it doesnt hurt anyway, just wasnt quite sure whether it would be a problem lol, i guess thats what i get for hand feeding an urchin huh

AaronG
12-10-2008, 03:09 AM
o wow it was always the long spine that got me(hes bigger than he looks in water) lol

hillegom
12-10-2008, 03:16 AM
I think the alcohol would do the trick. But take it orally, works for me.

dstasiuk
12-10-2008, 04:10 AM
I got poked by the same type of urchin about 2 months ago. The end of the spine broke off in my finger. It took about 2 weeks for my body to get rid of it - just like any other sliver. My finger was tender for a good month, but you should be fine. Swelling around the area after a day or so will likely indicate (did with me) that the tip of the spine is still there. I dug around with a needle and fished it out (the oral dosing of alocohol will likely help with that process):biggrin:

untamed
12-10-2008, 06:07 AM
Yeah..my hatpin urchin got me once also. I was trying to move him out of my way by gently pushing on him. Just as I was thinking that the spines weren't actually very sharp and that I could actually press pretty hard without getting....ZAP! The spine didn't break off but the feeling was as if I had been injected by something. It was painful for about 1 hour, but went away immediately after that.

tang daddy
12-10-2008, 06:23 AM
I remember I stuck my hand in my tank once to grab something and I had a long spine diadema. All of a sudden it was like "OW" freakin FUDGE:twised: lemme tell you it hurt for a few days first I tried digging it out with a needle the barb kept going deeper then I used a sharp razor to split my finger open hoping to pick it out didn't work went to the hospital waited for 1.5 hrs and the doctor looked at it then said go home take hot water and vinegar and dip your finger in for 20 mins at a time and repeat for a day. I said Vineger? He said yes it will help to dissolve the prick so I did it. Maybe it worked but at that point I was willing to try anything even ****ing on it. Never owned another one since.

Skimmerking
12-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Good thing you didn't sit on it:razz:

workn2hard2day
12-10-2008, 05:28 PM
Good thing you didn't sit on it:razz: :lol:

dabandit
12-10-2008, 06:06 PM
Oh my god get to the hostpital now!!!!!!

dabandit
12-10-2008, 06:06 PM
Kidding,just watch for an allergic reaction you'll be fine

tgoeujon
12-10-2008, 07:29 PM
thanks everyone, seems to be ok other than sore. i think ill try that vinegar dip idea just incase it did break off inside:biggrin:

FitoPharmer
12-11-2008, 03:35 AM
just so people don't start daring their friends to touch one i found this on RC. but i don't post there of course :mrgreen: :lol: cause iv heard of that before strange as it might sound
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1528015

tgoeujon
12-11-2008, 07:31 PM
checked the link. F*&^*ing gross