PDA

View Full Version : overflow

fiorano
12-09-2008, 05:52 PM
right now i am using that c-siphon over flow with the aqualifter pump. and sometimes when i come home the over flow is losing siphon and it is half air in it instead of being all water. also it makes lots of noise. just wondering if anyone knows of a more reliable and quieter overflow. without driling the tank that is haha its a bit late for that.

superduperwesman
12-09-2008, 06:35 PM
Drill it. Just drain some water and drill the hole :D

levi1803
12-09-2008, 06:36 PM
Drill it. Just drain some water and drill the hole :D

Do people actually do that?

fkshiu
12-09-2008, 06:40 PM
right now i am using that c-siphon over flow with the aqualifter pump. and sometimes when i come home the over flow is losing siphon and it is half air in it instead of being all water. also it makes lots of noise. just wondering if anyone knows of a more reliable and quieter overflow. without driling the tank that is haha its a bit late for that.

Lifereef: hands down the best HOB overflow on the market. It's the BK of HOB overflows.

If the price makes you squirm, there are a lot of cheaper clones out there using the same U-tube design.

fiorano
12-09-2008, 08:36 PM
well if its the bk of over flows i already got the bk so i guess ill have to go for the real deal hahaha. and drilling it might be a bad choice you know full of live stock and all lol

mark
12-09-2008, 09:54 PM
Why isn't the Aqualifter pump keeping the top of the U-tube clear of air? Is the pump working okay, how much volume you getting out of it?

fiorano
12-11-2008, 05:31 AM
every once in awhile something just gets caught in the little nipple thing that it keeps the siphon through and it slowly loses siphon. rather than worrying about it if i go on a holiday or something or have to check it all the time i would rather have a more reliable overflow.

Seamazter
12-11-2008, 06:29 AM
I had redcoral drill my holes at home, fairly cheep had 3 done and am going to the store with a new tank for a 4th, suppose thats 5 cus i have my sump ready to pickup with a intake for a new dart pump.
redcoral should be able to drill for you in np.

fiorano
12-11-2008, 02:41 PM
yeah i would but my tank is full of livestock and such thatd be kind of an extreme hassle to put everything somewhere and take a tank to get drillied

Seamazter
12-11-2008, 03:26 PM
oh i see your not a local guy, nvr mind.

mark
12-11-2008, 03:28 PM
Often see the advice just drain and drill and realize not all that easy. Wondering though if suggesting siliconing on a external overflow box and drain down a couple of inches to cut a notch for a weir would be more practical?

StirCrazy
12-11-2008, 08:30 PM
Often see the advice just drain and drill and realize not all that easy. Wondering though if suggesting siliconing on a external overflow box and drain down a couple of inches to cut a notch for a weir would be more practical?

if would still make a mess, you need to use water to keep the bit cool when you do this.

one idea if your real brave would be to make an external overflow box, silicone it in place and water test it so you know the silicone doesn't leak. (make sure you bulkheads are installed already and go to a valve which is shut.)

use a glass cutter to scribe a genital curve in the glass of the tank inside the dimentions of the overflow box and then snap the glass. having done this on empty tanks now I am almost confident enough that I would try it on a full one.

Steve

Canadian
12-11-2008, 08:37 PM
if would still make a mess, you need to use water to keep the bit cool when you do this.

one idea if your real brave would be to make an external overflow box, silicone it in place and water test it so you know the silicone doesn't leak. (make sure you bulkheads are installed already and go to a valve which is shut.)

use a glass cutter to scribe a genital curve in the glass of the tank inside the dimentions of the overflow box and then snap the glass. having done this on empty tanks now I am almost confident enough that I would try it on a full one.

Steve

Say again? "Genital curve"?! :) Care to describe, in detail, how one would go about scribing such a curve?

fishytime
12-11-2008, 11:18 PM
Say again? "Genital curve"?! :) Care to describe, in detail, how one would go about scribing such a curve?

Hilarious.:lol:

StirCrazy
12-12-2008, 07:36 AM

keep it up and your new name will be Bob :mrgreen:

Steve

fiorano
12-12-2008, 08:17 AM
thx for all the help guys but im not into taking any huge risks hahaha i already had a 135 empty itself onto my carpet and i dont really want that to happen again hahaha. i think ill just stick with the reef life solution