PDA

View Full Version : Goby MIA

kipsix
12-09-2008, 06:14 AM
Here's the story....
I had a yellow watchmen goby in my tank for at least 4 weeks. He was paired with a pistol until my Eel (dwarf golden) ate it (the pistol). Then about 2 weeks ago he just up and disappeared.... I was concerned about a dead fish in the tank, so I tore the LR apart to find the dead fish, but turned up nothing.

So we were at the LFS at the GF decided she wanted a new goby and got a yellow headed sleeper. This guy was huge, at least 3" long and thicker than my Eel. He tore the tank up for about 5 days. And now he has gone totally MIA as well?!

It's a 65gal RR, I already checked my sump (found my nudibranch). The tank is almost completely covered to keep the Eel in, but I checked the surrounding floors and can't find it. It's pretty much all softies and the parameters all seem fine and the corals all seem happy.

So my question is....
Can CUC eat a full size goby??
Fish don't just disappear do they?

Chaloupa
12-09-2008, 06:36 AM
Personally I'd be placing blame on the eel....my eel can eat VERY large pieces of clam etc...they are amazing at what they can swallow.

Alberta-newb
12-09-2008, 05:40 PM
It may also be possible they are hiding. My YWG moved about a month ago from the front of the tank to somwhere in the back. I've only seen him a couple of times since, he doesn't even come out at feeding time so the pods must be keeping him alive.

Leah
12-09-2008, 07:29 PM
Are you kidding I have had so many fish disappear from my reef from a dragnet, purple
goby, fire goby, neons, yellow watchmen, even a hippo tang if you can believe it. They
became food, I guess. And I have a reef tank with no predators. So I would have to say yes.

rocknroll
12-09-2008, 07:39 PM
Do you have a cat?:mrgreen:

superduperwesman
12-09-2008, 07:45 PM
Mantis? ahah

kipsix
12-10-2008, 04:19 AM
a hippo tang if you can believe it.

Well that's a far heftier fish than my (ex?) goby.

I know it's not the Eel, he eats like clockwork, and when he doesn't eat I can see his meal as a bulge in his body (RIP: pistol shrimp x2, pompom crab, peppermint shrimp x2).

Well I guess I'll just let things be and stop adding bottom dwelling fish for now.
Thanks, for the responses. :biggrin: