PDA

View Full Version : Crocea clam

GreenSpottedPuffer
12-09-2008, 05:09 AM
Are they ok in the sandbed or better off on rocks. I don't know too much about clams.

Thanks.

Keri
12-09-2008, 05:13 AM
I think they are about the highest light-demand clams so they are usually kept up on the rocks

andestang
12-09-2008, 05:16 AM
I have 3 and they are all in the sand bed, 2 are over 3 yrs and doing fine. I always make sure they are settled in deep enough to protect their foot. I have seen pics from the wild where they are almost totally embedded in solid rock substrate.

Keri
12-09-2008, 05:23 AM
I guess it depends on how deep his tank is and how strong his lights are :)

Delphinus
12-09-2008, 05:25 AM
I prefer rocks myself but many people do keep them in the sand, so whatever works best, but in general: 1) closer to the light is better (usually) with crocea's 2) they're found inside rock in the wild (like Andestang mentioned) .. it's pretty cool, all you see is the mantle .. and 3) less chance of some kind of opportunistic critter getting inside of them via the byssal opening if they're on the rock (no guarantees of course, but sand is easier to travel through than rock).

If they don't stay ON the rocks though it's better just to let them be where-ever they prefer to be. Sometimes that's the sand.

justinl
12-09-2008, 05:41 AM
i think tony hit it. I just skimmed over your build thread... if this clam is under dual 400W halides, I don't think light will be an issue at the sandbed. If yours is attached, keep in mind that forcing a clam off of something it's attached to can really damage the thing too if I remember correctly.

GreenSpottedPuffer
12-09-2008, 06:10 AM
Water level is 17" and its under dual 400 watt Halides. I don't think light is an issue anywhere in the tank :lol:

It just won't really attach anywhere like my other clams have but it seems really happy in the sand. Everytime I put it back on the rocks, it falls or gets knocked down in the night. I have no idea by what but I am tired of picking it up.

I think I will try the rocks one more time though.

Thanks.

Delphinus
12-09-2008, 06:58 AM
I find with new clams I have to put them into a spot with a real depression in the rock that they can fit into. They do like to wiggle around a bit and in the flow can get knocked over or pushed over by snails, urchins, etc. I find even making a little fence of rubble isn't usually good enough (maybe if the rubble was epoxied so that it can provide some resistance to the knock-down). But the right indentation in the rock and suddenly after a couple days they're stuck like superglue. And of course orientation is important - an angle probably isn't good either, they like to be flat to spread out to embrace the light.

tang daddy
12-09-2008, 02:59 PM
I have 5 croceas and all are on rocks, I'll agree they are hard to get on the rock here are some suggestions to help you....

Find a rock that is slighty convex sort like an upside down saucer place the clam in put a few rocks around it so it cannot fall out sort like baby in a craddle they will attach overnight. Another thing to keep in mind if once attached to the rock make sure they are always facing up cause sometimes if they are side facing the weight of the clam is too heavy for the legs and they end up releasing happened to me before aswell.

The only one that doesnt take to rock in my tank is a gold clam, derasa?

It just sits on BB tank and moves around on its back the legs don't anchor either, kinda weird.

GreenSpottedPuffer
12-09-2008, 05:21 PM
Thanks guys I found a nice rock with a depression in it that the clam fits right into. Hopefully it will stay. I am not sure though if its foot is actually even touching the rock :neutral: It seems like maybe the foot it now suspended just above the rock a few mm. I am going to leave it for now and see what happens.