PDA

View Full Version : Sponge

artrye
12-09-2008, 01:17 AM
Does anyone have any sponge growing in their tank that you may wanna sell? Even if its on a piece of live rock, I'll buy it too. Im trying different things to get my Moorish Idol to eat besides nori...
Thanks

sharuq1
12-09-2008, 02:46 AM
From what I have heard the sponge would be gone in seconds because it's soo tasty. :wink: There is a guy on RC by the name of Paul B who had an idol and a "35 year old" reef. I read that he often fed it plaster mixed with bananas.... weird I know, but hey, maybe you should ask him about it and what else he feeds? He also collects sponge from the harbor he lives by and he said he soaks food in selcon as well. He had the idol for a long time too. This is a thread by him, but I think the one where he talked about it was when his tank was 30 years old. http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=727454&highlight=30+year+old+reef+tank

edit: and a post:
I think it is a combination of all those things. I also think my feeding dish is a big plus. You have to feed these things a lot.
For two meals a day he gets pellets automatically into a dish. The rest of my fish don't eat pellets so he gets them all.
The third feeding is very important too and it consists of either sponge (that I collect in NY and freeze) banana (sometimes mixed with plaster of paris) clams, mussels, oysters, squid, fish, along with some commercially available frozen foods like plankton, mysis and angel formula. I try to feed something different every day. I feed the Idol and all the fish with a baster looking thing. I would never just put food in a tank. The Idol swims the length of the tank and I put the food in as he is coming towards it. I want him to eat it all, the crabs have enough to eat.
I just removed 10 gallons of rock, I don't like the look as much but he has more room to swim. This is the third time I removed rock for this fish. I have a garbage can full of rock left over that will go back in if I ever lose this fish.
This is his dish that is supplied by a tube to the surface where an automatic feeder dispenses food.
Paul