PDA

View Full Version : Box Fish

superduperwesman
12-08-2008, 08:26 PM
Anyone got tips for keeping box fish?? Everyone I've ever had ends up sucking egg crate at some point

andestang
12-08-2008, 08:45 PM
Just think along the lines of a seahorse set-up. Low water flow, no competition for food and no aggressive tank mates.

sphelps
12-08-2008, 08:58 PM
Wes, will you ever learn?:lol:

I think the hardest part will be feeding it, other than that slower current and similar conditions as seahorses.

superduperwesman
12-08-2008, 09:25 PM
he's eating good but I don't want to turn flow down or I'll get algae growing

Treebeard
12-08-2008, 10:25 PM
We have had a box fish in our 44 gallon tank since July with no problems. He lives peacefully along with a largish brown chromis (which I would love to catch and banish to the sump) two small green chromis, a medium yellow tang, a true perc clown, a rabbit fish, a royal gramma, a dragon goby and a firefish. Yes, I realize that my tank is soon to become too small and I will either have to part with some fish or get a new tank, but for now everybody gets along great.

Boxy eats mysis and sea veggies and is one of the more docile fish in the tank. He is definitely our favorite fish and he was worth the price we paid. Now, if I could only catch that Chromis! I built a fish trap a few months ago and was successful in catching his buddy, but this one is too smart to go inside. However, Boxy happily swims in and out at will munching on the mysis I use for bait!

Anyone got tips for keeping box fish?? Everyone I've ever had ends up sucking egg crate at some point

moldrik
12-08-2008, 10:40 PM
Aren't box fish supposed to go in bigger tanks? I'm not trying to start a "Your fish is in a tank too small, that is cruelty!", I'm just wondering because I have a 40 gal and so far I wasn't considering the possibility because I thought they were for larger tanks only.
________
Rehab Discussion (http://www.rehab-forum.com/)

Treebeard
12-08-2008, 11:31 PM
Depends on the size I guess. I saw many while diving in Cozumel and know how big they can get, but mine is only about 3 inches long now. And eventually as my fish outgrow this tank I will have an excuse to move up to a much larger tank.

Aren't box fish supposed to go in bigger tanks? I'm not trying to start a "Your fish is in a tank too small, that is cruelty!", I'm just wondering because I have a 40 gal and so far I wasn't considering the possibility because I thought they were for larger tanks only.

i have crabs
12-09-2008, 12:11 AM
feed lots of greens, send stinky a pm hes kept one alot longer than most people can

moldrik
12-09-2008, 12:37 AM
Yeah, I saw a ton of them in Thailand hanging around with trumpetfish ( the trumpet fish uses them as cover ).
________
grape ape marijuana strain (http://trichomes.org/marijuana-strains/grape-ape)