PDA

View Full Version : possible to add a stream

smokinreefer
05-09-2003, 04:23 AM
hey guys,
i know i've asked before, and even i dont htink it is possible, but can i add a 6080 to my tank...
here is a crappy pic, but so you get the idea, in the center is my colt which is in the back and comes out just over the half way to the front, tank is 24" wide...think i might be able to squeeze a 6080 in the top front right side of my tank and have it point straight across to the left end?
http://members.shaw.ca/smokinreefer/tank.jpg

Aquattro
05-09-2003, 05:16 AM
Shao, I think you can do it. The stream can also be adjusted for output, so you could turn it down if you had to. FWIW, there should be some smaller streams available soon.

smokinreefer
05-09-2003, 05:35 AM
hmmm...
i would really like to add the flow of the 6080, but...
moving the colt is not an option as it'll take up too much of the high light areas.
maybe i will wait to the smaller ones come out.

actually, how much can you adjust the flow?
i could always tone down the 6080 until i get that new tank of my dreams! :lol:

Aquattro
05-09-2003, 06:23 AM
I think it drops down to 30% of the total...

canadawest
05-09-2003, 07:11 AM
According to the text on the J&L website the Stream 6080 is NOT adjustable:

Specifications:

Flow Rate: 2250 GPH
Variable Speed Control: NO

Do you know something that J&L doesn't know Brad? :question:

Aquattro
05-09-2003, 07:42 AM
My understanding was that it was not variable with a controller, but it did have a set screw that allowed adjustment. I'll double check on that with Roger.

Aquattro
05-09-2003, 07:53 AM
Sorry, looks like I'm wrong. The 6080 is just a plain old plug into the wall and run pump.
Slightly more money and you can run the 6100 without the controller. That one does have the set screw. J&L gave me a price on the pump without the controller....I'll see if I can find it. The other option is to wait for the smaller pumps to show up.

Doug
05-09-2003, 01:02 PM
The 6080 is not adjustable. You would need to purchase a 6110 with the controller, but at twice the price. Or like mentioned, one of the new models that are smaller.

I am a big 6080 fan. Best stream for the money, IMO. Your placement plan would be fine, as long as it does not blow the sand around on the left bottom. Also the back left corner, pointing to the front right may work. You can play around. We helped a guy on RC, same problem and its working fine now.

Remember, although 2200gph, its a wide, diverse flow and not abusive like powerheads or pumps.

If I would have not bounced my camera of the cement floor, I would take a pic of my bubble. I just redid the tank. Although somewhat protected, its smack in the center. Remember its almost a 1 1/2 ft. square when open. I run two 6080 stream pumps and its fine.

I use to have a large colt, {not as big as yours}. I found it to like the current. Not aggitated though, as you know. I found they hate sand in the current. Mine is now in a friends tank, that has its sand stirred by some stupid blue damsels, {were gonna fix that on Sunday}. The colt hates it.

smokinreefer
05-09-2003, 03:08 PM
thanks for the info so far guys.
hey doug, your givin me some hope here, but...
another thing, my tank is only 18" high.

brad,
if you can find that quote, would be great.

Doug
05-09-2003, 04:58 PM
Sorry, I forgot that. Guess with my 30in. depth, its easier to hide some corals.

I assume thats fine sand, so along the front idea, with the sand just over a foot down, may get kicked up by the pump.

Are those acros on the left side hill. :biggrin: Is that larger one on the center left a branching sps? If both are yes, then perhaps the front right corner install, pointing to the back left corner would be fine. Then you could play with other possible ones after that.

smokinreefer
05-10-2003, 12:28 AM
hey doug,
the sand bed in my display is aragonite. mostly caribsea stuff. not the fine sugar stuff.

and yes, and yes.

Doug
06-04-2003, 06:03 PM
Shao,
I added a pink/brown colt the other day. Its about 8in. tall. Put it on one end and with the current generated by the pair of streams, its swaying back & forth beautifully. Looks very natural.

Anyhow, its open nice and does not seem to be bothered by all the current so far.

smokinreefer
06-05-2003, 02:30 AM
hey doug,
thanks for the input.
but my issues resolved byitself when my tank cracked. :lol:

i now have a 180 with my colt in one corner and the stream in the other corner pointing across the tank to the other side. :mrgreen:

Chad
06-05-2003, 03:55 AM
hey doug,
thanks for the input.
but my issues resolved byitself when my tank cracked. :lol:

i now have a 180 with my colt in one corner and the stream in the other corner pointing across the tank to the other side. :mrgreen:

OMG? Talk about bad luck :eek: :sad: I assume everything made it.

Chad

Doug
06-05-2003, 01:01 PM
Sorry Shao, forgot that. :redface:

Which stream did you get?

smokinreefer
06-05-2003, 04:03 PM
i got the 6080, and i like it.

and after the corals get established and begin to fill out the reef, i think i will add another.

:mrgreen:

Doug
06-05-2003, 08:56 PM
:mrgreen:

Delphinus
06-18-2003, 03:39 PM
Does anyone have a stream in a situation where a SPS may be within 12" of the direct output of the stream?

I seem to have a dilemma: either I point the stream into one of my (very few) open areas, which results in the sand being excavated down to the bottom glass (which I don't like very much), or I point the stream into an area where there are SPS corals, and the exposed side of the corals get blasted, are are possibly starting to recede (which I don't like very much either).

Really having challenges finding a spot to put this pump where it isn't hugely intrusive/obtrusive (4' tank, completely out of room) and aiming it in a direction such that there aren't "issues" with the new flow.

Canadian Man
06-18-2003, 03:43 PM
Tony you got a STREAM!? :question: :cool: :question:

Aquattro
06-18-2003, 04:29 PM
Tony, I think 12" is a bit close. Where are you trying to mount it? (just remembered we were talking about this, sorry, been a bad week).

Delphinus
06-19-2003, 03:39 AM
I was really excited about the prospect of a surging current (since my Borneman flusher was more or less a complete flop) and I was really intruiged that it draws a fraction of the electricity that an inline pump for a closed loop draws (I can't afford my utility bill today, I am looking for ways to reduce my consumption before the really big rate hikes come.) But I guess I am screwed. :cry: There is no place to mount this pump that is not within 12" of any coral. I guess my tank is too small, and too crowded. Plus I am also dismayed at how big and cumbersome the unit is. I might as well mount an 12HP outboard engine into my tank. I'm starting to think that anyone who has a tank smaller than 6' shouldn't even begin to consider one of these. Unless their tank is empty to begin with maybe.

Too bad, I am way too broke to consider a different tank setup, and far too burned out these days. I'll dink with this for another week or so and see if I come up with some sort of epiphany, but I'm starting to think that realistically I'm gonna be sending it back.

Aquattro
06-19-2003, 05:23 AM
Tony, can you post a pic of the whole tank? Maybe we can offer some ideas. There is always a way to make things work. :razz:

Buccaneer
06-19-2003, 06:29 AM
Tony... the offer is still open to help you build a nice BIG tank :)
... probably for about what you would get by selling the ones you have now

Cheers

Delphinus
06-19-2003, 03:39 PM
Thanks Steve :cool: Problem is I can't bear to part with the livestock I've got now, so that makes it hard to sell off the other tanks BEFORE a new one is set up.

My current fantasy involves buying a new house, and then setting up a big tank in THERE, and then when it comes time to actually move, just transfer everything into the new tank. ... But it's just a fantasy at this point. :frown:

Brad, I'll try to take some pics tonight. Maybe a collective brainstorm is the answer!

Buccaneer
06-19-2003, 04:47 PM
Thanks Steve :cool: Problem is I can't bear to part with the livestock I've got now, so that makes it hard to sell off the other tanks BEFORE a new one is set up.

Tony ... I am sure there are more than enough " foster homes " here in Calgary to look after livestock and corals ... the BIG tank will handle them all and then some LOL

Cheers