PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations needed

BC Mosaic
12-08-2008, 12:01 AM
What lighting system would you recommend for a 225g tank that will be a reef tank? It will house SPS, some LPS, LR, LS (min.2” deep), a few fish and inverts?
Dimensions are 72” l x 30” H x 24” W.

While we’re at it, what skimmer would be ideal for this tank with a 65g sump (could go bigger)?
Thanks

GreenSpottedPuffer
12-08-2008, 12:45 AM
Are you building a canopy or do you want an all in one fixture. I would say 250 watt halides for sure or even maybe 400's (if you want to be able to place sps anywhere) since its quite a deep tank. Personally I prefer retrofit MH and T5's in a canopy. Its cheaper and you can use a large fan that is concealed by the canopy.

Are you able to get a 75G instead of a 65G for the sump? The only reason I ask, is because I have used both in the past and the 75 will be way better. Its a way easier footprint to work with. 4' instead of 3' and not as deep. Unless the 65G is a custom tank.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-08-2008, 01:27 AM
The 65g sump tank is 4' long by 16" wide by 20.5" tall.

BC Mosaic
12-08-2008, 02:16 AM
Hello Green Spotted Puffer,

"Are you building a canopy or do you want an all in one fixture"

I don't know if there is a market fixture that can span that depth of 24" so I guess that it'll be all retro fit. Instead of building a canopy I may, in this point in time, just build a suspended frame/armature and curtain it off (I have 16 foot ceilings). I'll post pictures as the project developes and post in the "Tank Journal".

I've just now been already offered some DIY and retro fit lightning options. Exciting!

For sump, I can probablty find a used FW tank and install baffles myself or work out something with SeaHorse Fanatic.

I can't believe that within 9 months of setting up an 80g reef I'm diving (pun intended) into a 225g.

NEWBIES BEWARE!!!LOL

Jason McK
12-08-2008, 02:25 AM
Where are you gonna put the 225G?

I would do 3X 400W MH. with T5 or VHOs.

J

GreenSpottedPuffer
12-08-2008, 02:26 AM
Hello Green Spotted Puffer,

"Are you building a canopy or do you want an all in one fixture"

I don't know if there is a market fixture that can span that depth of 24" so I guess that it'll be all retro fit. Instead of building a canopy I may, in this point in time, just build a suspended frame/armature and curtain it off (I have 16 foot ceilings). I'll post pictures as the project developes and post in the "Tank Journal".

I've just now been already offered some DIY and retro fit lightning options. Exciting!

For sump, I can probablty find a used FW tank and install baffles myself or work out something with SeaHorse Fanatic.

I can't believe that within 9 months of setting up an 80g reef I'm diving (pun intended) into a 225g.

NEWBIES BEWARE!!!LOL

Oh ok, so its not a standard 65G. 4' is good then.

I also have high ceilings and it was a pain hanging my fixture and then in the end I didn't trust it hanging or like the look. It will be interesting to see how you do yours!

BC Mosaic
12-08-2008, 02:38 AM
Where are you gonna put the 225G?

I would do 3X 400W MH. with T5 or VHOs.

J

Hello Jason,

Definitely not up in the loft where the 80g is! The loft is an 8" thick reinforced suspended slab rimmed with C channel steel. Still, that makes me nervous - all that weight. Can't risk it. Renting.
It'll be on the ground floor and I sure hope those 3/4" thick Mexican terra cotta tiles can bear it. A reefer gotta do what a reefer gotta do. :wink:
Somebody pinch me please!!

Jason McK
12-08-2008, 02:43 AM
Hello Jason,

Definitely not up in the loft where the 80g is! The loft is an 8" thick reinforced suspended slab rimmed with C channel steel. Still, that makes me nervous - all that weight. Can't risk it. Renting.
It'll be on the ground floor and I sure hope those 3/4" thick Mexican terra cotta tiles can bear it. A reefer gotta do what a reefer gotta do. :wink:
Somebody pinch me please!!

Sounds like Fun. I knew it wouldn't be long before you got the bug to go bigger. Let me know if you need to bounce some Ideas off me I'd be glad to help over the phone or what ever

J

BC Mosaic
12-08-2008, 02:46 AM
Oh ok, so its not a standard 65G. 4' is good then.

I also have high ceilings and it was a pain hanging my fixture and then in the end I didn't trust it hanging or like the look. It will be interesting to see how you do yours!

Oh, it will be interesting for sure!
This building is all concrete; drop-in anchors work very well in concrete ceilings but I don't trust the ladder working that high. It'll be different. Brain gears already turning/churning.
I'll post photos.
Cheers

BC Mosaic
12-08-2008, 02:48 AM
Sounds like Fun. I knew it wouldn't be long before you got the bug to go bigger. Let me know if you need to bounce some Ideas off me I'd be glad to help over the phone or what ever

J

Thanks Jason. I really appreciate that!
BTW, did I mention that the front glass is Starfire as well?

Edit: Ya, bragging but am soooo thrilled. Please forgive.

BC Mosaic
12-08-2008, 03:38 AM

J

I'm also getting into ZeoVit and I hear that you be The Man.
I'll be phoning asking questions.
Cheers

fishytime
12-08-2008, 05:09 AM
Sounds like its gonna be schweeeeeet. Will be following this one for sure.