PDA

View Full Version : Ok It's BUBBLE KING REVIEW

Skimmerking
12-07-2008, 09:14 PM
I'm looking at the Bubble king MINI's series 180 or the 200

what are you views on them...... lets here them
I have a 150 gal SPS tank, with a 30 gal sump, I run Phos ban, No signs of Algae.
5" kole
5" Sailfin
4 " rabbit fish
2 PJ cardinals
2 Clowns
1 yellow head goby
1 prawn goby goby
green mandrin
lamrrick angel
leopard wrasse
royal gramma
3 blue linkia's
red, orange, leopard, brittlestar's
blood shrimp
tiger tail cuke
assort snails
2 crabs
5 emeralds
5 conchs

i do 5 gal per week water change
Im running a ATI Bubble master 250 love the skimmer ,but want to try another type of skimmer you know me
all about change...

lastlight
12-07-2008, 09:52 PM
I have no links to support this but I hear the Supermarin line skims a whole lot better. I'd recommend the SM200.

I know either Sean or Dennis at Golds commented how the mini they have is actually pretty inconsistent whereas the much cheaper skimmer next to it outskims it.

Psyire
12-07-2008, 11:26 PM
I just picked up a BK Mini 180 but I won't have comment on it for a at least a month, as my new tank is being built.

I did however do a lot of research and 99% of people are happy with their mini's. The ones who aren't all seem to have it sitting in water that flucuates in level. You need to have it sitting in water that the level does not change at all. (a change in level changes the back pressure on the skimmer)

If you can fit the 200 in your sump I would buy it. (the only reason I went with the 180 is because the 200 wouldn't fit)

Pan
12-07-2008, 11:29 PM
Most of what I've read seems to suggest that while the build quality of the BK's is second to none, the performance is not. It's seems there is a little "bling bling" aspect to the BK line.

Madreefer
12-08-2008, 12:07 AM
I have a BK Mini 180 and was very unimpressed. It took me a long time to dial it in as they come with no instructions what so ever. It seems to work the best when you keep the BK in water level of 8" I found the only way I could keep the skimmer running consistently was to add a automatic water top up. Now I am so happy with it. I would reccomend it. Only complaint is that there is no instructions or support. I spent hours on the net trying to find some.

Nate
12-08-2008, 01:06 AM
Great skimmer, too bad it did not fit in my system...I can honestly say it is prob the best I have used...that being said, I am breaking in a hydor performer right now and it actually looks like it is going to be competing...

Nate

feel free to pm me if you have further questions

trilinearmipmap
12-08-2008, 01:40 AM
I have a Mini BK 180 on my 120 gallon mixed reef. I got the BK something like 1-1/2 months ago give or take.

Before that I had run a mesh-modded EuroReef CS-6-2+.

Overall I am happy with my BK. It skims about as much as the mesh-modded Euroreef but the difference is consistency. The BK skims the same, day in, day out. When I empty and clean the collection cup, by the next day I have one day's worth of skimmate, the same amount of skimmate as before emptying the cup.

My mesh-modded (and gate-modded) EuroReef was finnicky, it wouldn't draw air unless you blew into the air tube, and the skimmate production was inconsistent.

My nitrates went down from the 0.5 to 1.0 range (Salifert test) to 0.2 ppm since I have been using this skimmer. Phosphates are steady at barely detectable on the Merck phosphate test.

Overall I recommend this skimmer if you have lots of money to blow, if not I would seriously look into the Bubble Magus. And I would get the 200 over the 180 if it will fit in your sump.

Skimmerking
12-08-2008, 01:51 AM
ok it may end up being a huge beckett now... thanks to Chin.

Pan
12-08-2008, 03:12 AM
Bubble kings are like burger kings ...all bun no meat...

Skimmerking
12-08-2008, 03:14 AM
ok I don't think that im tracking you on that one

Pan
12-08-2008, 03:19 AM
ok I don't think that im trackign you on that one
Looks good on the commercial, you get it home, ready to have it fill your craving and bang...all flash no substance :) you would have been better off buying the 1.00 burger that would have done the job, and cheaper to :)

Skimmerking
12-08-2008, 03:23 AM
so you have one and your not happy with it

Pan
12-08-2008, 03:29 AM
Nope, Never had a gourmet burger either :) It is what I am starting to hear on all of the reef forums, they were the king but they are being bested by cheaper now. The build has according to almost everyone, aside from cusomt skimmer people, never been surpassed though.

Oxymoron
12-08-2008, 03:30 AM
I did however do a lot of research and 99% of people are happy with their mini's. The ones who aren't all seem to have it sitting in water that flucuates in level. You need to have it sitting in water that the level does not change at all. (a change in level changes the back pressure on the skimmer)

Is there any skimmers that do not fall victim to this and will work well with a fluctuating water level.

Madreefer
12-08-2008, 03:40 AM
so you have one and your not happy with it

HAHA well put.

fkshiu
12-08-2008, 04:01 AM
Is there any skimmers that do not fall victim to this and will work well with a fluctuating water level.

Sure there are: powerhead fed recirculating skimmers!

But you do have a good point. ALL in sump skimmers (like the BK Minis) will suffer with fluctuating sump levels. It seems that BK Minis are more sensitive to this than most other skimmers perhaps because of the big air they can pull. I strongly suspect that Minis which do poorly are in such fluctuating sumps. Everything from the design of their bubble plates to the big air they pull suggest that they should be awesome performers. The only design criticism of the Minis that one could suggest is that there may be limited contact time for the bubbles before they hit the collection cup because of the pump's location within the skimmer body.

lastlight
12-08-2008, 04:21 AM
These need to run in-sump. I don't understand why anyone would build a sump compartment for a skimmer in such a way that the level would fluctuate. We're talking about a single baffle here...

Pan
12-08-2008, 04:46 AM
These need to run in-sump. I don't understand why anyone would build a sump compartment for a skimmer in such a way that the level would fluctuate. We're talking about a single baffle here...
:)

Skimmerking
12-08-2008, 04:35 PM
OK ITS GOING TO BE A REEF FLO 200 OR a BK MINI 200

sphelps
12-08-2008, 06:56 PM
Hey Mike not sure it this is helpful but with your size tank I would spring for a SM 200 or 250 if you're going with a BK, I really don't think the mini will match the performance of your BM250. If you don't spring for it this time I can see you selling the mini a few months down the road and buying a SM anyway, might as well do it now :mrgreen:

StirCrazy
12-08-2008, 07:44 PM
you could also look at the vertex skimmer, getting good reviews and real afordable.

I can't see the logic on spending $1229 on something when you can get the same results for $355, or if you have the room to put a 30" tall skimmer ytou can get the biggest vertex at 400. which is rated to 250 gal tank

Steve

sphelps
12-08-2008, 08:31 PM
you could also look at the vertex skimmer, getting good reviews and real afordable.

I can't see the logic on spending $1229 on something when you can get the same results for $355, or if you have the room to put a 30" tall skimmer ytou can get the biggest vertex at 400. which is rated to 250 gal tank

Steve
The vertex is Proline's answer to their issue with euro reef, it's the exact same skimmer except they added a diffuser chamber which was a good addition. However the collection cup attaches by a gland seal o-ring which makes removing the collection cup a real PITA and a recipe for skimmate spill. If you're looking for a good skimmer in a $400 budget it's a good choice but I wouldn't go any further.

I used a Euro Reef 180 in my tank for a few weeks while I waited for my BK, it was like I didn't even have a skimmer and barely pulled anything, when I hooked up the BK it was like I never even had a skimmer before, cleaned the tank up real fast. I know Mike's tried a few skimmers on his tank and it seems he's ready for something a little more reliable, constant and effective.

You guy's can trash talk BKs all you want but you get what you pay for. I would bet with all the money Mike's invested in skimmers he could have bought two BKs by now :razz:

Skimmerking
12-08-2008, 08:33 PM
OH yes if you only knew how much that I have spent time for a change... Steve are you home now i dont have your Work number.The vertex is Proline's answer to their issue with euro reef, it's the exact same skimmer except they added a diffuser chamber which was a good addition. However the collection cup attaches by a gland seal o-ring which makes removing the collection cup a real PITA and a recipe for skimmate spill. If you're looking for a good skimmer in a $400 budget it's a good choice but I wouldn't go any further.

I used a Euro Reef 180 in my tank for a few weeks while I waited for my BK, it was like I didn't even have a skimmer and barely pulled anything, when I hooked up the BK it was like I never even had a skimmer before, cleaned the tank up real fast. I know Mike's tried a few skimmers on his tank and it seems he's ready for something a little more reliable, constant and effective.

You guy's can trash talk BKs all you want but you get what you pay for. I would bet with all the money Mike's invested in skimmers he could have bought two BKs by now :razz:

Skimmerking
12-08-2008, 08:42 PM
hey Steve I'm just looking at the vertex skimmer, its the same skimmer like the Euro reef but with the sedra pumps I dont like the Sedra pumps had them on my Euro reef. I can't see how a vertex skimmer is better then a euro reef its the pump at the end of the day to make the skimmer Unless that Im wrong here... alot of skimmer sare going to the Bubble plate too.

Like Sphelps stated I have tried alot of skimmer's and spend alot of mpney on them just to say that i have tried them. And I really think when you spend your money you get what you pay for. Look at the PFO reflector's they are ok, until you put them next to the Lumenarc's

Steve

Doug
12-08-2008, 08:44 PM
I would bet with all the money Mike's invested in skimmers he could have bought two BKs by now :razz:

:rofl:

I dont think he,s alone there. :wink:

Pan
12-08-2008, 08:45 PM
The vertex is Proline's answer to their issue with euro reef, it's the exact same skimmer except they added a diffuser chamber which was a good addition. However the collection cup attaches by a gland seal o-ring which makes removing the collection cup a real PITA and a recipe for skimmate spill. If you're looking for a good skimmer in a $400 budget it's a good choice but I wouldn't go any further.

Trash Talk? When i read of so many people saying that their skimmer is built really well but performs comparable to cheaper skimmers, i'm sorry but image means nothing to me, i think everyone said they perform well, just not as well as the price would seem to dictate. If he has the money to burn, and doesn't want cheaper alternatives, then by all means go for it. We've all bought equipment that should have lived up to the hype and didn't and equipment that was supposed crap and performed excellently, I for one have seen the same euro-reef skimmers pull completely diff. amounts of gunk...why i don't know...i think all this equipment is somewhat like that :) I think the ATI Bubblemaster was a good skimmer as well, the company behind it however :)

sphelps
12-08-2008, 08:45 PM
OH yes if you only knew how much that I have spent time for a change... Steve are you home now i dont have your Work number.
No I'm at work and not really around the phone as I'm constantly running into the back shop to deal with heat treating issues. You can try calling me later at home but I think I'll probably be out x-mas shopping. Best to just shoot me a PM or email if you have something to ask me directly.

sphelps
12-08-2008, 08:51 PM
Trash Talk? When i read of so many people saying that their skimmer is built really well but preforms comparable to cheaper skimmers, i'm sorry but image means nothing to me, i think everyone said they perform well, just not as well as the price would seem to dictate.
I wasn't referring to anyone in particular, I've just noticed the BKs get a lot of trash talk on this forum and it hasn't started yet on this thread but I'm kind of expecting it to.

Don't read too much into things I'm just trying to help and would prefer to avoid any skimmer debates this time around.

Pan
12-08-2008, 08:53 PM
I wasn't referring to anyone in particular, I've just noticed the BKs get a lot of trash talk on this forum and it hasn't started yet on this thread but I'm kind of expecting it to.

Don't read too much into things I'm just trying to help and would prefer to avoid any skimmer debates this time around.
Agreed, to thine own skimmer be true :)
I would like to try a Bubble king just to see if it works, but I am happy with my three euro-reefs....they do what i need them to :)
I just think the price is a lot, considering custom skimmers are close, sometime even cheaper...

Skimmerking
12-08-2008, 09:20 PM
yes I agree that the Bubble kings get huge Trash talk ,but why because of the $$$$$$$$$, then why are so many people in Germany screaming about them.

Doug
12-08-2008, 09:22 PM

Oh, I dont think it will. :wink:

:lol:

albert_dao
12-08-2008, 09:25 PM
... *sigh

sphelps
12-08-2008, 09:34 PM
yes I agree that the Bubble kings get huge Trash talk ,but why because of the $$$$$$$$$, then why are so many people in Germany screaming about them.
I think German's like fish more than Canadians :lol:
Or maybe because the hobby is more advanced over there and experience pays.

Skimmerking
12-08-2008, 10:04 PM
WOW I can't believe that its this hardto make a decision about a skimmer.... man Im starting to get a head ache. about it:redface:

StirCrazy
12-08-2008, 10:07 PM

I have a vertex and I think the "o" ring is the best thing sence sliced bread. real easy to remove and reinstall, less chance of spillage that twist off tops.

there is a lot more to the Vertex than just a bubble chamber and the "O" ring cup system, take a good look at one, better pump, different entrance high for the pump discharge and a few other little tweaks. I know the bubble king is a good skimmer, but I don't think it is enough of a differance to justify 850.00 more. needle wheel pumps are great, after having becket and venturi, both of which would make just as good of bubble as any needlewheel skimmer out there, I will never go back. the best thing about needle wheel in my opinion is the lack of maintance of the bubble producer.

I have got as far as to rething the custom skimmer I am building for my big tank I am setting up when I retire next year, to change it from dual venturi to duel or (maybe 3) good needle wheel pumps as I figure this skimmer will handle 600 gal easy.

If you want to see a knock off of the euroreef look at Pacific coast skimmers, the Vertex only uses the body in common, everything else is different.

Steve

StirCrazy
12-08-2008, 10:11 PM
hey Steve I'm just looking at the vertex skimmer, its the same skimmer like the Euro reef but with the sedra pumps

not a sedra pump from everything I have been reading, it is one that was real good but concidered noisey, they did somethign with the shaft and such to quiet it down and made there own special intake for the air to be drawn in. I have seen a few of them in action now and I am totaly impressed. But, find out if anyone has one around you and take a look, the body is the same as the euro reef, but thats where it stops from what I have seen in mine and others.

Steve

StirCrazy
12-08-2008, 10:15 PM
I think German's like fish more than Canadians :lol:
Or maybe because the hobby is more advanced over there and experience pays.

because they will be a lot cheeper there. probably 1/2 the price. Can you imagin what the shipping and such is here, plus the markup, ect..

you have the mark up from the manufacture to make ther emoney,(they probably sell direct in Germany for that price)
then you have the guy who has the distrubution rights in north america, who ships them in and adds a markup, then you probably have a canadian distrubuter who adds his cut and boarder crossing fees and shipping, then the stores.

It is just like some stuff I bought in Dubai and India, cost me 8 bucks for a carved eliphant from the guy who carved it, I saw something not as good sitting on a shelf in the brick for over 900.00

Steve

blaster
12-08-2008, 11:13 PM
With a bubbleking you get low power consumption and quiet operation.I have a supermarine 250 and like it lots.They are expensive,but are built to last.

albert_dao
12-08-2008, 11:52 PM
because they will be a lot cheeper there. probably 1/2 the price. Can you imagin what the shipping and such is here, plus the markup, ect..

you have the mark up from the manufacture to make ther emoney,(they probably sell direct in Germany for that price)
then you have the guy who has the distrubution rights in north america, who ships them in and adds a markup, then you probably have a canadian distrubuter who adds his cut and boarder crossing fees and shipping, then the stores.

It is just like some stuff I bought in Dubai and India, cost me 8 bucks for a carved eliphant from the guy who carved it, I saw something not as good sitting on a shelf in the brick for over 900.00

Steve

BK's are more expensive in Germany.

trilinearmipmap
12-09-2008, 12:16 AM
IMO the Bubblekings are very nice but not essential, lots of different skimmers will do the job, a skimmer that costs twice as much does not skim twice as well, but somewhat better. I'm happy with my BK, there are other less expensive choices that do a good job. In the end it comes down to what you want to spend your money on, I will blow money on a few things that are important to me, one of them is stuff for my aquariums.

Skimmerking
12-09-2008, 01:21 AM
SO bubble king users when you turn off the skimmer does it rattle and hum or does it just start up

marie
12-09-2008, 01:27 AM
SO bubble king users when you turn off the skimmer does it rattle and hum or does it just start up

The only sound I have ever heard from my bubbleking is a slight hiss from the air and even then if I don't look at the skimmer I don't know if it is on or not

Skimmerking
12-09-2008, 01:35 AM
Marie what size do you have again Im looking at the 200 and some people are saying it not really worth the price or heck it is rated for 135-265 gal

i would love to get the 200 SM but its alittle out of my reach

marie
12-09-2008, 01:44 AM
Marie what size do you have again Im looking at the 200 and some people are saying it not really worth the price or heck it is rated for 135-265 gal

I have the SM 200 so I can't really comment on the minis. When I bought the SM 200 I was looking for a skimmer that didn't require me to mess with it at all and it is everything I hoped it would be.
I was tired of cheap pieces of junk, I'm no good at diy and I happened to get a great deal on a RC group buy :mrgreen:

sphelps
12-09-2008, 02:26 AM

Steve
SM 250 is 1250 EUR with is over $2000 Canadian. Link (http://aquarien-anlagenbau.de/index.php/language/en)

The vertex skimmers are made in the exact same Chinese factory as Euro Reefs. The pumps are made by Resun, not exactly the best pump makers. I assure you I know a little something about protein skimmers :wink:

sphelps
12-09-2008, 02:30 AM
Hey Mike, my SM 250 has no problem starting up, the only sound it makes is a quick hiss from the air line. Once running absolutely silent, they have special pointed rubber feet on everything that basically eliminate any vibration as well. Plus I like the anti-lime mod on the pump and the fact you can take the base off to clean the diffuser plate.

I good link to pics of the SMs (http://www.zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11040)

Skimmerking
12-09-2008, 02:46 AM
Well My mine is made up its going to be the Mini 200 just because i really can't break out the extra 300 im pushing it on the C now. and if i didnt spend the extra on the sicce pumps for the other skimmer i could have gotten the SUPER MARINE 200 :cry: so for now, have to make 1 one phone call tomorrow to confirm the price and if its still a go. then i will be having it here by the week end. if all goes right

stay tuned for the NEW SKimmer.
thanks to all for helping me get the right choice out. after all its just money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol:

Parker
12-09-2008, 02:53 AM
Congratulations on your new little bundle of joy! :mrgreen:

Skimmerking
12-09-2008, 02:54 AM
thanks ROb i hoping that its still there or its not having to be ordered in

Pan
12-09-2008, 03:00 AM
Because everyone in Germany screams?

Pan
12-09-2008, 03:01 AM
Maybe you got the U2 Version...?

Aquattro
12-09-2008, 03:13 AM

lol

albert_dao
12-09-2008, 03:33 AM

Generation 2 Mini's (what you'll be getting) are rated at a 20% higher capacity than their predecessors.

SM 250 is 1250 EUR with is over $2000 Canadian. Link (http://aquarien-anlagenbau.de/index.php/language/en)

Th vertex skimmers are made in the exact same Chinese factory as Euro Reefs. The pumps are made by Resun, not exactly the best pump makers. I assure you I know a little something about protein skimmers :wink:

The Resun pumps on Vertex skimmers are hermetically sealed and free from the corrosion issues of the rebranded Gen-X pumps. Additionally, with the new impeller bearings and shaft, these motors run far quieter than the Sedras.

Lance
12-09-2008, 03:52 AM

Bwaaa Haaaa Haaa! Dude, you're killing me!

sphelps
12-09-2008, 04:01 AM
The Resun pumps on Vertex skimmers are hermetically sealed and free from the corrosion issues of the rebranded Gen-X pumps. Additionally, with the new impeller bearings and shaft, these motors run far quieter than the Sedras.

I'm not saying these pumps are bad but Resun does not have the best rep but this could change with time. To me they look identical in every way to the gen-x's and sedra's. People in the RC vertex club thread are already talking about switching the resun pump for a sedra. Comparing power as well the resuns seem to be rated at a higher wattage. Not sure why.

The vertex line is new and for the price they seem like a really good deal and I would use one if it fit my budget but I can see problems down the road which is common with any first generation skimmer.

focusing on negatives here but enough to worry me a little.
resun pumps are the cheapest, crappest pumps avaliable here in thailand they are scarily inefficient and of poor build quality. Just to put them in perspective, they cost peanuts.

Its funny because they are not known in the US really, but they are poor, cheap pumps IME.
Well, they certianly are....

LOUD!

Oh, well, I guess reefers on a budget will have no problem wearing ear muffs while admiring their reefs.

Another plus is that you no longer have to worry about Dursos or Stockmans or any of those overflow box standpipe silencers. Just let the water fall into your overflow sans standpipe--you'll never hear the crashing water over one of these Resun pumps...!
A resun pump with 3000 lph output costs approx $17 here - and they break all the time. I would be very concerned about a skimmer which relies on a Resun pump. They make pretty good chillers though.

Veng68
12-09-2008, 04:16 AM
Franklin went out and tested the power consumption of the resun pump on a Vertex 250 skimmer at Aquatic Addictions........ the pump says 145 watts but when he tested it with a watt meter....... it drew 67 watts. Franklin thinks it's because the 145 is drawing all water and the 67 is water and air mixture which requires less energy to pump.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46187&highlight=skimmer+testing&page=4

Cheers,
Vic

mark
12-09-2008, 04:24 AM
Why so much effort on a skimmer? Realize they're important but what's wrong with your tank you figure trading up skimmers are going to solve?

sphelps
12-09-2008, 04:27 AM
Thanks Vic, that's kinda what I figured.

I just want to make it clear that I'm not intentionally trying to give these skimmers or pumps a bad name but the vertex 180 sells for around $360 while the Euro Reef 180 is closer to $450. Since the body's are made in the same factory and the vertex obviously has more money invested in the body it seems obvious a cheaper pump was used to keep the cost low. So far vertex owners seem to have good experience with the pumps but only time will tell if they hold up to the hype.

Cheers

lastlight
12-09-2008, 05:26 AM
I recall that thread. To me it seems this todd march guy hates on EVERYTHING proline and i'm not the only one who's noticed this.

I'm not saying these pumps are bad but Resun does not have the best rep but this could change with time. To me they look identical in every way to the gen-x's and sedra's. People in the RC vertex club thread are already talking about switching the resun pump for a sedra. Comparing power as well the resuns seem to be rated at a higher wattage. Not sure why.

The vertex line is new and for the price they seem like a really good deal and I would use one if it fit my budget but I can see problems down the road which is common with any first generation skimmer.

focusing on negatives here but enough to worry me a little.

fkshiu
12-09-2008, 05:57 AM
I recall that thread. To me it seems this todd march guy hates on EVERYTHING proline and i'm not the only one who's noticed this.

But Proline distributes BOTH Vertex and BK, correct?

They are aimed at entirely different markets. You don't usually cross-shop a Honda Accord with a Mercedes S-class, which by the way is a very apt comparison: they're both cars just like the Vertex and BK are both skimmers, but they are in entirely different price leagues.

The modern Accord has gobs of room and plenty of power and uses less gas than the S-class (who needs a V8/V10/V12 nowadays anyway?). Therefore, why would anyone buy an S-class over an Accord? The same reason why there's a market for the BK - the rush of the massive engine like the power of the Red Dragon pump; the granite almost Fort Knox feel when you shut the door like the granite almost Fort Knox feel of the half-cm-thick cell cast acrylic; the Teutonic snob appeal of both.

Ask anyone who markets any luxury brand - people do not buy luxury items out of need and certainly not out of logic. It's a far more emotional decision.

lastlight
12-09-2008, 06:10 AM
Well I agree with you about the appeal bit. I can't afford luxury on a bigger scale so it's nice to enjoy it within a tank build. Luxury in this case means getting really quiet product. That was part of what drove my purchase.

Skimmerking
12-09-2008, 07:18 PM
Well the Deal is done. Got a great deal from J&L for my mini 200 so i bit. I couldnt get the super marin 200 they had a SM 250 but, but it was alittle out of my range for a skimmer. SO will take pictures when i get it on Fri.....
ya so im excited the wife was watching me when i was paying for it well i heard some language i have never heard before

its all good thou.

lastlight
12-09-2008, 07:47 PM
my daughter is 16 months old and when I open the stand she says "bubble"! Gotta train my girls early. It's too late for my wife tho.

Congrats on the early Xmas present.

Skimmerking
12-09-2008, 08:50 PM
ya if there was a SM 200 bubble king I would hav got that one .. Sorry Steve I asked I couldnt wait til 10 days later I needed a skimmer now.

sphelps
12-09-2008, 09:08 PM
ya if there was a SM 200 bubble king I would hav got that one .. Sorry Steve I asked I couldnt wait til 10 days later I needed a skimmer now.
haha, that's OK, I'll forgive you buddy. You got a good skimmer, it's a BK so you'll be happy with it.

Bubble King Skimmer: $1700
Compensating the better half: $1700
Spending Double for Mutual Satisfaction: Priceless

marie
12-14-2008, 11:23 PM
So did you get it? I see you've changed your sig to include it. How is it running so far

Skimmerking
12-14-2008, 11:27 PM
im still waiting, I ordered it on Tues and told them i need it quick, since i wont have a skimmer going on the tank .so If they could send it the fastest. well Im still waiting, Funny eh when you spend 1300 on a skimmer you think that they would kiss your @ss a bit. hoping tomorrow along with the 6212 wave box.

marie
12-14-2008, 11:33 PM
Are they sending it by pony express? Mine came from California by usps and it only took a week

Skimmerking
12-14-2008, 11:35 PM
i figured if I told them to speed it up that they would send it faster i guess my money isnt that great to them. i have a feeling that J&L are cheap when sending it express i guess.

Delphinus
12-14-2008, 11:41 PM
It's probably not the greatest time of year for speediest of shipping.. :p It'll probably come tomorrow would be my guess.

Skimmerking
12-14-2008, 11:42 PM
wel its saying its in Regina, but that was on the 9th

Lance
12-15-2008, 12:20 AM
wel its saying its in Regina, but that was on the 9th

Regina to Brandon. That's only a hop-skip-and-a-jump! What the hell is taking so long?

soups
12-15-2008, 12:34 AM
HI all, I'm new on this site, I was reading this thread about BK. I have a Mini 200 running for about 4 months on my 150g, And I'm happy with it. The only reason i see for a skimmer to be so expensive is because it's coming from Germany and the cost of the pump. Truly the best pump you can get in any skimmer. Just the pump cost more then some skimmers. :biggrin:

Skimmerking
12-15-2008, 02:12 AM
HI all, I'm new on this site, I was reading this thread about BK. I have a Mini 200 running for about 4 months on my 150g, And I'm happy with it. The only reason i see for a skimmer to be so expensive is because it's coming from Germany and the cost of the pump. Truly the best pump you can get in any skimmer. Just the pump cost more then some skimmers. :biggrin:

thanks SOups that comment makes me feel good that i have a great skimmer that will keep up with my tank

Skimmerking
12-15-2008, 04:29 PM
the SKimmer is in BRANDON, YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWw
its out, ITs Out for ,delivery..................

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgr een::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::lol::lol: :lol::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

dabandit
12-15-2008, 04:53 PM
Dont know why no one wants a euroreef anymore,best bang for the buck I've found. Mine fills the collection cup everyother day with what can only be described as tar. The thing NEVER acts up and you can set it as wet or dry as you like. Because it was so affordable I was able to afford one double the capacity I needed and it was still half the price of a bk. I really am curious though,whats wrong with the euroreef?

marie
12-15-2008, 04:57 PM
For my application they just didn't make an internal euroreef big enough for my tank, if they did I would of bought one. I also am a complete DIY idiot and wanted a plug and play skimmer that required no fiddling or modding to work better

Parker
12-15-2008, 04:57 PM
You must be like a kid on X-mas morning. I know I'd be looking out the window everytime I heard a noise. :biggrin:

Parker
12-15-2008, 05:01 PM
I've seen people make comparisions to cars when asked about the cost of skimmers.

A Corvette and a Cavalier will both get you from point A to point B reliably but, which one would you rather drive given the option to choose?

Lance
12-15-2008, 05:08 PM
"WOOT" OK Mike, get that baby in and start pulling out some black gold!

dabandit
12-15-2008, 05:19 PM
For my application they just didn't make an internal euroreef big enough for my tank, if they did I would of bought one. I also am a complete DIY idiot and wanted a plug and play skimmer that required no fiddling or modding to work better

Ahh I see. Im off to check the diy section because mine is unmodded and now you got me curious lol
Sorry for the thread jack,congrats on the aquisition.

brizzo
12-15-2008, 05:49 PM
I know I'd be looking out the window everytime I heard a noise. :biggrin:

+1 :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Skimmerking
12-15-2008, 07:12 PM
"WOOT" OK Mike, get that baby in and start pulling out some black gold!
i get home at 13:21 and the guy was here at 13:10 and i just missed him have to have wait til 5pm its freaking killing me what crappy timing, and the wave boxx that o bought i have to pay $94 in customs fee's im ****ed too. all the thing that US and Canada does and this freaking Customs can kiss my butt. :twised::twised::twised::twised::twised::twised:

Lance
12-15-2008, 08:08 PM
i get home at 13:21 and the guy was here at 13:10 and i just missed him have to have wait til 5pm its freaking killing me what crappy timing, and the wave boxx that o bought i have to pay $94 in customs fee's im ****ed too. all the thing that US and Canada does and this freaking Customs can kiss my butt. :twised::twised::twised::twised::twised::twised:

I hear ya. They can kiss mine too!:twised:

Pan
12-15-2008, 08:24 PM
the SKimmer is in BRANDON, YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWw
its out, ITs Out for ,delivery..................

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgr een::mrgreen::lol::lol::lol::biggrin:
Jeez ITS A SKIMMER :)

Pan
12-15-2008, 08:25 PM
I've seen people make comparisions to cars when asked about the cost of skimmers.

A Corvette and a Cavalier will both get you from point A to point B reliably but, which one would you rather drive given the option to choose?
The electric one

Parker
12-15-2008, 08:31 PM
The electric one

Good answer,

That was a trick question, GM's aren't reliable.

And that's coming from a GM guy.. :redface:

Skimmerking
12-15-2008, 08:49 PM
Jeez ITS A SKIMMER :) and your point is what, yes I know it s a skimmer. its a very perfect skimmer if you must know:neutral:

soups
12-15-2008, 08:58 PM
Was that wave box, shipped with UPS
OMG $94.00 more on top of what you payed?
:sad:

Pan
12-15-2008, 09:21 PM
and your point is what, yes I know it s a skimmer. its a very perfect skimmer if you must know:neutral:

I was just poking fun at ya :) Believe me I got that way about carribean liverock last year :)

fiorano
12-15-2008, 09:30 PM
i used to have a euro reef on my tank but swappeded it out for a bubble king mini 180. best choice ever its so much more reliable and carefree im super happy with it :)

globaldesigns
12-16-2008, 01:13 AM
Dont know why no one wants a euroreef anymore,best bang for the buck I've found. Mine fills the collection cup everyother day with what can only be described as tar. The thing NEVER acts up and you can set it as wet or dry as you like. Because it was so affordable I was able to afford one double the capacity I needed and it was still half the price of a bk. I really am curious though,whats wrong with the euroreef?

I have the EuroReef RS180, and must say it is the BEST skimmer I have ever used. Was using a V2 1200 skimmer from the UK, but it is no comparison to the EuroReef.

Skimmerking
12-16-2008, 01:18 AM
I was just poking fun at ya :) Believe me I got that way about carribean liverock last year :)
hey no worries man i thought that you were giviing me the gears...

any one wants to see the Bubble king mini 200 here its on my journal.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=369098&posted=1#post369098

no go there and take a look and leave a post

Skimmerking
12-16-2008, 01:19 AM
I have the EuroReef RS180, and must say it is the BEST skimmer I have ever used. Was using a V2 1200 skimmer from the UK, but it is no comparison to the EuroReef.
hey don't get me wrong I like the Euro reef's, however they make such a small collection cup. so your forced to clean it all the time which is great for the euro reef which needs a clean neck to skim.

marie
12-16-2008, 01:26 AM
hey don't get me wrong I like the Euro reef's, however they make such a small collection cup. so your forced to clean it all the time which is great for the euro reef which needs a clean neck to skim.

Unless you were cleaning the euroreef daily then you will still be cleaning the skimmer often. Not to make the bubbleking skim better but because your wife is complaining about the horrible stench comming from the fish room and the cup is full anyway :twised:

globaldesigns
12-16-2008, 01:38 AM

The collection cup on my EuroReef is huge, I don't know which model you were looking at, but can say it is huge, and much bigger than any Bubble King Collection cup that I have seen.

Skimmerking
12-16-2008, 01:43 AM
what Skimmer do you have yes they are huge but they are not that tall i used to own a 250 and the cup want that big at all.

Pan
12-16-2008, 02:06 AM
hey no worries man i thought that you were giviing me the gears...

any one wants to see the Bubble king mini 200 here its on my journal.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=369098&posted=1#post369098

no go there and take a look and leave a post

Plus if I had the money I would buy a BK and a few others just to compare them for myself....I DO however like the fact the workmanship on the BK would mean never having to EVER worry about it.
Does yours have the self cleaning head? That would be a must for any skimmer i bought new nowadays.

This BK looks interesting ---> http://glassbox-design.com/2008/royal-exclusiv-bubble-king-supermarin-300-protein-skimmer/

sphelps
12-16-2008, 04:02 AM
The collection cup on my EuroReef is huge, I don't know which model you were looking at, but can say it is huge, and much bigger than any Bubble King Collection cup that I have seen.
haha no way! Wanna bet?

Pan
12-16-2008, 04:26 AM
I Knew it would happen here eventually....

Mine is bigger than yours arguing........starting to sound like RC...ick :)

marie
12-16-2008, 04:55 AM
I Knew it would happen here eventually....

Mine is bigger than yours arguing........starting to sound like RC...ick :)

It's not just RC, I think it might be a man thing :razz:

Johnny Reefer
12-16-2008, 05:39 AM
It's not just RC, I think it might be a man thing :razz:
Good manswer.

Doug
12-16-2008, 12:58 PM
Well I clean that big Euroreef at the store every few days and although the cups large, its not very deep as Mike said. The cup on the skimmer he just sold was huge and could easily hold several times what the Euroreef cup could. Now I cant speak for the BK until I go over and see it.

Anyways, look at mine in my nano thread. Now thats a collection cup. :lol:

Skimmerking
12-16-2008, 01:38 PM
oh yes the ATI BM skimmer collection cup was huge. here are the comparsions.

ATI BUBBLE Master

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e122/asmodeus338/DSC05947-1.jpg
here is the euro reef
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e122/asmodeus338/235%20Gal%20REEF/waterfield008.jpg

will get a good picture of the King here in a bit just having a coffee and bailey's

Johnny Reefer
12-16-2008, 02:02 PM
I never get the often described full collection cup every two days (or week, or whatever, for that matter), so for me, it doesn't matter if one cup is bigger than the other. What I do know, however, is my recently added BK SM250 Internal skims at least twice as much as the replaced EuroReef RS250 did. That's enough for me.

BK all the way! :smile:

Cheers,

Skimmerking
12-16-2008, 02:26 PM
ok Since great posts from every one, like stated before I bought my bubble king and so far i'm very happy with it. I said when I started theis long road to this hobby. That I would get the best gear for my tank when I can. SO far I have all top rated gear IMO. lights, skimmer, Wave box's and tunze's im happy

Mods I think we have reached the point here can you close this thread before it turns crazy.....

StirCrazy
12-16-2008, 02:30 PM
how do you change your plump out? or clean it, do the guts of the skimmer come apart?

Steve

Skimmerking
12-16-2008, 02:32 PM
oh yes the instructions shows you how to get it out and clean it ...

http://english.royal-exclusiv.de/index2.htm

Aquattro
12-16-2008, 03:44 PM
Mods I think we have reached the point here can you close this thread before it turns crazy.....

Nothing in this thread warrants closing.

globaldesigns
12-16-2008, 03:56 PM
what Skimmer do you have yes they are huge but they are not that tall i used to own a 250 and the cup want that big at all.

I have the RS180, they are tall also. Mine is about 8 inches in height.

I see in your photo, that yours is quite short, what model is that, Mine is much bigger.

Skimmerking
12-16-2008, 04:36 PM
the first one is a cs 250 with dual pumps its 31" tall and 8"

and the second one is the BM 250 with dual pumps. its 21" and its 9" wide...

Johnny Reefer
12-16-2008, 07:40 PM
I'm confused by this. Was it something I said? Do I have a reputation that precludes anything I say as nasty?

Nothing in this thread warrants closing.
Thanks. I didn't think so either.

Cheers,

Skimmerking
12-16-2008, 07:55 PM
No Mark I started this thread to get a feel about a couple of skimmer's , your imput is valued alot not to worry I jsut thought that since that I bought my skimmer i didnt need to have the thread open any longer. nothing about your posts.

mike

StirCrazy
12-16-2008, 08:43 PM
No Mark I started this thread to get a feel about a couple of skimmer's , your imput is valued alot not to worry I jsut thought that since that I bought my skimmer i didnt need to have the thread open any longer. nothing about your posts.

mike

how are we going to post pad at your expence if the thread is closed :mrgreen:

Skimmerking
12-16-2008, 08:46 PM
your a jack @#$

lol

:lol:

Doug
12-16-2008, 10:27 PM
Its all your fault Mark. :lol:

So, I seen the end all of skimmers :lol: , in person today. Looks pretty good to me. Sure big for something called a mini. I would like to see the regular one in person. :surprise:

Skimmerking
12-16-2008, 10:31 PM
ya when I was ordering the Mini I thought what the heck did I just ordered. and then im at the post office looking for my skimmer that last box that was the biggest is the one that had my skimmer. I was looking for a small box too....

Johnny Reefer
12-17-2008, 02:41 AM
Far out. When ya gonna post dem pics?

Cheers,

Skimmerking
12-17-2008, 03:06 AM
Mark I have them on my tank journal 150 inwall just scroll up you will see the link .

Pan
12-17-2008, 03:44 AM
you should have bought this
http://www.reefbuilders.com/2008/10/24/bubble-king-650-skimmer-from-royal-exclusiv-not-for-the-faint-at-heart/

Skimmerking
12-17-2008, 12:16 PM
ya now that is a skimmer HOLY Crap. im looking at getting the wet neck for the mini 200 too just to say that i have one.

Pan
12-17-2008, 07:14 PM
ya now that is a skimmer HOLY Crap. im looking at getting the wet neck for the mini 200 too just to say that i have one.

Yeah the stuff that RE comes out with....

I want one of their Red Dragon II pumps....the 13,000+ GPH closed loop variable one :)

Skimmerking
12-24-2008, 03:17 PM
OK its time to do a small review on this mini 200 Bubble king that I have.

Good
- Very Very quiet
- compact for that small sump wich is great
- skims crazy for a smll unit
- is capable of skimming a heavy stocked 170 with ease
- its not that small actually when I received the skimmer I was amazed on the size of the unit.
- with the pump in the bottom It doesn't take away from the power of skimming IME.
- first start up it was skimming like crazy.
- huge air hose on the pump.
- volute for Ozone which is pretty cool.
- the unit is built really good, should be for $1300 i didnt find a flaw in it any where.

Bad
- it costs 1300
-the collection cup could be placed on there better I think.
- very touchy the tube is for rising the water level.
- I think the chamber could be abit bigger to compensate the pumps being in the chamber.
-Now Im NITT PICKING....

My over all view is if you can push out the money to get this skimmer then go for it. It is plug and plug no word of a lie. I have owned many skimmers and WOW I love this model if i have the time and the money i would have gotton the SM 200. but Im never going to get a bigger tank. If the SPS's in the tank are that huge then I will run OZONE. ANd then start to Frag.

MY RATING ON this Skimmer would a 9/10 nothing is made prefect but there are some thing that are really close. that is why they made the BUBBLE KING.

Parker
12-24-2008, 05:30 PM
Glad to hear you like it :-)

fiorano
12-24-2008, 05:38 PM
good review hahaha it helped me justify buying mine:) i have the 180 does anyone know about how much it can handle as far as tank size and bioload?

albert_dao
12-24-2008, 07:02 PM
good review hahaha it helped me justify buying mine:) i have the 180 does anyone know about how much it can handle as far as tank size and bioload?

Is this a Gen 1 or 2?

robzilla
12-24-2008, 07:27 PM
any shots of the skimmer in action?

Skimmerking
12-24-2008, 08:07 PM
yes i will get some actions shots ok