PDA

View Full Version : Hagen Glo or Nova Extreme T5's, which is better

Trigger Man
12-07-2008, 01:33 AM
So as the title says I'm trying to figure which brand to go with for some supplemental t5 lighting for the back of my tank. I'm looking for a 2 bulb 36" unit, and from what I've found out these two are the contenders. Has anyone used either or heard anything about either one?

StirCrazy
12-07-2008, 01:43 AM
I have the hagen glo on my fresh water tank and I am very impressed with it. it is a 22" deep tank and it is very bright to the bottom than I am able to grow high light plants in there terf form. I haven't seen the nove ones though.

Steve

mike31154
12-07-2008, 02:20 AM
No experience with the Nova Extreme, but I've been using a 36" Hagen Glo fixture for over two years now and it's been trouble free. Initially as main lighting but now with two actinics for dawn dusk lighting effect.

Mounting is quite flexible, a good quality hanging kit is provided and there are extendable arms on each end to mount directly on to tank. I kept the fixture close to the water surface initially and found the reflector easy to clean. The salt splashes wipe off with plain water whereas my retrofit single reflectors are much more difficult to clean up. Waterproof/resistant endcaps are well made.

Lance
12-07-2008, 03:18 AM
I have a Hagen Glo fixture that came with my 90 gal corner tank. I also have a Nova Extreme over my QT tank. IMO there is no comparison, the Glo fixture is a much nicer unit. Waterproof end caps and nice reflectors. The built-in timers are easy to use and work great. I have had this fixture for over a year now and it still looks brand new.

karazy
12-07-2008, 03:21 AM
my hagen GLO doesn't have built in timers..

but anyways, i have a 24 GLO inch over my 29 gallon, and so far it seems pretty bright

awa1979
12-07-2008, 07:05 AM
I have the 36" 2 bulb on my 40 breeder and like them, nice light and color.

But mine don't have built in timers, so I am not sure about that feature.

ElGuappo
12-07-2008, 08:21 AM
i am running a 2x 24 watt fixture of both brands and the nova extremem is trash compared to the hagan glo.

IMO the hagen glow is MUCH nicer to look at and just a BETTER light in general.

Granted the glow cost a little more and neither have timers, but the nova is also much wider than than the glow.
now when i say much wider its a mater of 3/4 inch at most. i was working with a 10 g and had to work with a center joint for the canopy, and HOB Skimmer, and eventually went to a sliding top.

Also the nova extreme comes with bulbs (1 10k = 1 actinic blue) and the glo doesnt. i havent changed the bulbs in the nova either, so it may just be the bulbs REALLY suck. pretty big difference so i dont think its the bulbs.

Oddly enough doug and i just had a similar converstation about the hagen glo and i am sure you would get a thumbs up from him on this unit aswell. ANY lfs that sells the glow should also sell the reflector upgrade aswell (indi reflectors). i do not have the upgrade and find its fine without it.
i run a 24" on my contest tank and a 48 on my 45g SW(was SW for a while)

Not sure if he still has it but jdigital was selling a 39 x2 glo. i have no idea if he sold it.

to see the exact nova extreme unit i am talking about it is pictured in my nano contest thread in the empty tank shot (Post 1).

Myka
12-07-2008, 12:31 PM
I have the 36" 2x39w and although I don't own a Nova Extreme, I have taken a look at them, and seen them in use. I chose the Hagen over the NE. I didn't know the Hagens had a timer option though...? I'm wondering if someone did a real nice mod job on Lance's. I've had mine for about two years running on a separate timer, and I haven't had any issues with it. I'm running an AquaScience bulb with a KZ Fiji Purple, and they are the brightest bulbs I've had in it so far (I've had the Hagens, and Giesemann in it before). Don't buy the Hagen bulbs, they aren't nearly as powerful as the better brands out there. I'm going to try out their reflector upgrade, it looks a lot better than the original that it comes with. I would like to buy a second 2x39w for when I move my reef over to the 40g. However, all that said, the Tek 4x39w ($350) costs only $10 more to buy than buying two Hagen 2x39w (2x $170), and if a faaaaaaaaaaaaaaar better unit! If you can retro fit your T5s I would go with the Tek 2x39w retro fit.

Lance
12-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Maybe the built-in timers only come with this tank. It is a Fluval Venezia (made by Hagen) tank with a special-made Hagen Glo fixture that fits into the top of the quarter cylinder tank. I assume Hagen would make a standard light fixture with the timers as well, but maybe not. Anyway, it is a well-made fixture and I recommend it to anybody.

mark
12-07-2008, 03:23 PM
Haven't seen NE but using the Glo ballasts and wiring for my retro 54w actinics. Quality end caps.

Ephraim
12-07-2008, 04:12 PM
i have never used the novas, but i have 8 hagen glo 36" bulbs over my 90 reef and they do very well. Bright, durable, overall quality is excellent. Good value i would reccomend to anyone.

ElGuappo
12-07-2008, 06:52 PM
the glows also come in retrofit kits as well. i was not aware of a timer option on the glo but they did do a promo where they came with a FREE timer.

Trigger Man
12-07-2008, 07:18 PM
Thank you everyone who made it easy to decide to go with the Hagen Glo unit for some supplemental lighting for my current tek system. I was not aware about the reflector upgrade but that is good to know.

karazy
12-07-2008, 09:19 PM
i can't seem to find the reflector upgrade..

but for people running only 1 hagen glo, what corals are you keeping under it?

ElGuappo
12-07-2008, 10:35 PM

that would depend they come in 1 and 2 bulb fixtures.
i have seen the reflectors at riverfront they are with the lights.

I have kept numerous softies succesfully with a 2 bulb fixture but the jury is out on sps. things like ricordia mushrooms toadstool gorgonian (not sure what type)zenia torches frogspawn, all will do fine under a single 2 bulb fixture and maybe under a single bulb fixture depending on depth. IMO

mike31154
12-08-2008, 12:09 AM

I purchased my 75 gal used and after installing the 36" Glo (this is a 48" tank) both a mushroom and zoanthid started growing on their own. I did not put them in the tank, it was FOWLR up until that point. Must have been some spores in the rock or something. Had one 10000K and one Actinic fitted. The zoanthid has grown to become a large colony but alas, the mushroom fell victim to something, maybe my pencil urchin. I've since retro'd four 48" T5HO fixtures on to the tank (added a hammer & GSP) and the 36" Glo is fitted with two actinics for dawn/dusk.

landshark
12-19-2008, 07:30 PM
I,ve been using 2 nova extremes for about a year. EXCELLENT fixtures. 1 , 2x18watt on my ten and 1 4x24 on my 20. I have excellent growth in both tanks. ElGuapo appears to be comparing a 36 watt nova to a 48 watt hagen. Unfair comparison. Bang for the buck, these are great fixtures.

NAS
12-19-2008, 07:50 PM
Ohhhh,,, DUDE!

I have three 45 bow two from hagen, one from All Glass.

I am running the lighting that comes with the hagen bow... DON'T DO IT!

It's a fresh water tank, in 30 years of aquariums (own experience) This is the first design where i got heat issues with a fresh tank. The canopy is the worst design ever because there is little to no venting. (less u run a chiller which wont fit in the limited space of the shitty stand design.

As far as the bulbs go, I went from a devote hagen supporter to Coralife (for flourescant) the true actinics from coralife is the only way to go. I also run on my all glass double t-5 strips from coralife. We just got a Nova extreme (www.current-usa.com). It's 8 T-5's in a single strip. FANTASTIC so far (not as good as my 400w MH)... the nova replace a Quad power compact, much much better. Great venting, nice elevation from top of tank. Im betting that one would do well as a 36" unit on your corner bow.

For what is worth. If you are interested I can pop some pics. Let me know.

ElGuappo
12-19-2008, 09:03 PM
I,ve been using 2 nova extremes for about a year. EXCELLENT fixtures. 1 , 2x18watt on my ten and 1 4x24 on my 20. I have excellent growth in both tanks. ElGuapo appears to be comparing a 36 watt nova to a 48 watt hagen. Unfair comparison. Bang for the buck, these are great fixtures.

For the record they are both 24" 2x24 watt fixtures. i do also have a 48" GLO.

karazy
12-19-2008, 09:16 PM
i was considering getting a sundial fixture to amp up the lgiht and store the hagen in the basment, but now i think i'll just get another hagen and use both

skabooya
03-18-2009, 07:21 PM
Ive been looking at the 36" 2 bulb fixture (Hagen Glo) vs the Nova Extreme and I like what Im reading about the Hagen. Recently however there is a rumor that the hagen fixtures and bulbs are being discontinued.
Does anyone have any experience with putting different bulbs in the hagen fixture? Do Geismann bulbs fit? Aparently the hagen bulbs are weird measurements so other T5 bulbs wont fit. I just want to know how true this is.

ElGuappo
03-18-2009, 07:36 PM
i use aquamedics in my glo fixture. i have a 2x24W on my 10g contest tank.

skabooya
03-18-2009, 07:57 PM
Where would you get that bulb online? Do you know of any other bulb types that the hagen glo can take? Ive been doing a lot of reading but no one really talks about the bulbs, just the fixture.

Trigger Man
03-19-2009, 04:44 AM
I have a KZ bulb in my Glo, from what I know the 36inch will fit all 36 inch bulbs. Prior to me stepping on my ATI bulb it was also in the fixture.

ElGuappo
03-19-2009, 05:10 AM
As long as the bulbs are the same Wattage as the fixture then they should be fine.

foreverfortune
03-19-2009, 07:56 AM
for those who own one of the hagen glo may i ask how wide are the 2 bulb fixtures? i may be interested in finding two 2x24 fixtures. also where can you get the upgraded reflectors? i also see ballasts sold seperately. do the fixtures come with ballasts?

skabooya
03-19-2009, 06:14 PM
from what i have read and understand, the fixtures are a plug and play except the bulbs. They also dont have an on off switch, they need to be plugged into a timer which is fine for me but turns some people off.
the 2 bulb fixtures are pretty narrow, ive seen them in my lfs. Many people have 2 fixtures over their tanks just fine. But i dont know actual dimensions. Maybe look at the hagen website??
I found a site that sells ATI bulbs *YES!* So im going with the 39watt bulbs that should fit YAY. SWEET!!!

StirCrazy
03-20-2009, 01:52 AM
for those who own one of the hagen glo may i ask how wide are the 2 bulb fixtures? i may be interested in finding two 2x24 fixtures. also where can you get the upgraded reflectors? i also see ballasts sold seperately. do the fixtures come with ballasts?

about 4" wide, never heard of an upgraded reflector, the one thats in there is fine. the ballast is in the fixture, what are you looking at to be exact? this is what you should be looking at
http://www.hagen.com/canada/english/aquatic/product.cfm?CAT=1&SUBCAT=105&PROD_ID=01039100010101

there are replacment reflectors but they are not an upgrade.

Steve

foreverfortune
03-20-2009, 05:59 AM
about 4" wide, never heard of an upgraded reflector, the one thats in there is fine. the ballast is in the fixture, what are you looking at to be exact? this is what you should be looking at
http://www.hagen.com/canada/english/aquatic/product.cfm?CAT=1&SUBCAT=105&PROD_ID=01039100010101

there are replacment reflectors but they are not an upgrade.

Steve

thanks, that is what i am referring to. i just saw some ebay sells selling just the ballasts and just wanted to confirm if the unit had the ballast included or had to purchase seperately. 4" wide is perfect for me thanks got the info i needed. i need 2 2x24 fixtures.

as for the reflector i just read some posts at the begining of the thread and thought there was upgraded ones. but the originals should be fine for me.

Oddly enough doug and i just had a similar converstation about the hagen glo and i am sure you would get a thumbs up from him on this unit aswell. ANY lfs that sells the glow should also sell the reflector upgrade aswell (indi reflectors). i do not have the upgrade and find its fine without it.

ElGuappo
03-20-2009, 08:11 AM
I have 2 GLO fixtures. a 48 and a 24. the ballasts are built in . if you are viewing one with a external ballast it is a retro fit. to clear up another thing there is no upgradable reflector. its a reflector for the retro kit. still the one include is pretty good. the deep horse shoe shape works well. and i would agree with 4 inches in width.

reef
03-23-2009, 08:15 AM
The hagen glo are cheap units. poor quality,
Found that a decent t5 unit puts out far more light than a hagen unit.