PDA

View Full Version : At what point is a tank "born"?

rocketlily
12-06-2008, 09:17 PM
At what point would you say a tank is born. Is it when you add water or rock or livestock?

JDigital
12-06-2008, 09:29 PM
Kinda depends on the scale of a tank build I think... If someone starts up a 20G with HOB filter, no canopy, etc (small build) then I'd say its whenever you get water into it.

On the other hand, if someone starts a large scale build (elaborate stand/canopy, custom built tank, big time skimmer, etc) once they start building and have devoted alot of time/money into it, I'd say its born then. :mrgreen:

Trigger Man
12-06-2008, 09:55 PM
How about when you've done the all the research and have finally figured out what you want and how it is going to look in ones head? Is the idea becoming reality the time that the tank is born? I think it may just be.

Pan
12-06-2008, 09:57 PM
When you have a vision of what you want in your mind. Then you've essentially given birth to the idea.

fishoholic
12-06-2008, 10:38 PM
I would have to say it's "born" once the tank and stand are in the final place you want them in and you start to add water. Before that IMO it's just an idea that may or may not happen or it's just a tank sitting in a corner collecting dust waiting for something to happen. I guess I think that once it's set up and in position and you add the water, you're committed and you tend to go forward from that point on.

rocketlily
12-06-2008, 11:17 PM
I would have to say it's "born" once the tank and stand are in the final place you want them in and you start to add water. Before that IMO it's just an idea that may or may not happen or it's just a tank sitting in a corner collecting dust waiting for something to happen. I guess I think that once it's set up and in position and you add the water, you're committed and you tend to go forward from that point on.

I tend to agree with this. I have chosen the point where the water is in and rock is being added.

GreenSpottedPuffer
12-08-2008, 12:49 AM
Why do you ask? I am just curious :biggrin:

rocketlily
12-08-2008, 12:56 AM
You often see in signatures how old a tank is. I'm planning of keeping my 90 for some time, so I thought I would like to keep track of it using the Ticker Factory. Since I added water and rock yesterday, I thought I would use that date. Didn't want to appear stupid by someone telling me it really isn't alive until you add fish or coral.