PDA

View Full Version : hey overflow experts- save my marriage!

iansfishy
12-06-2008, 12:26 AM
for some reason I can not seem to quiet down my overflow. I either have to have the return pump valved way down or it is incredibly noisy. Ive done four of these now and have never had one this noisy, am i missing something here? At times the level in the overflow will shoot right up to the top of the overflow then quickly back down to its regular, yet noisy spot. This is a new tank, 2-3 days old and its driving me crazy! Anyone got any ideas?http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/507/thumbs/overflow_2_.jpg

Jason McK
12-06-2008, 12:50 AM
Is it a Durso style Overflow? Sounds like there is not enough air getting into the down spout.

Can you take a photo of your overflow?

J

i have crabs
12-06-2008, 12:53 AM
where the water pours into the sump does the water enter below the water level? does that even make any sense?
if its entering below shortin the pipe or hose closer to the top of the water, also it will take a bit until the pipes have a layer of organics built up in the pipes to also quiet things down

midgetwaiter
12-06-2008, 01:15 AM
The fluctuating water level in the overflow is usually because you have too much back pressure on the drain. Having it exit closer to the surface in you sump should fix that.

Can you describe the noise better? It is noisy at the intake or where the water exits on the bottom?

mark
12-06-2008, 01:26 AM
you should be able to get near silent with the only noise coming from where the water spills into the overflow chamber and where it enters the sump (gurgling).

When tuning mine, I just started with a small bit from my drill index going up in size until the water would stay at a constant height in the overflow chamber, then about one more size up. Was sort of neat how it went from the whistling to silent.

Each setup is different but for an idea I'm pushing 1000gph through 2-2" Dursos and the hole size is just a little bigger than 3/16" in each. These Dursos also worked when I had ~2000gph.

iansfishy
12-06-2008, 02:05 AM
mark- are you talking about the hole in the top? or in the sides? my outlet right now is above the water level, going into a filter bag. It is a loud "suction/gurgling at the overflow, not the outlet. Thanks.

mark
12-06-2008, 03:19 AM
mark- are you talking about the hole in the top? or in the sides? my outlet right now is above the water level, going into a filter bag. It is a loud "suction/gurgling at the overflow, not the outlet. Thanks.

Drilling the hole in the top. Usually you see a Durso built with a Tee/elbow/cap and drilling the cap or like your picture but with a valve on the air line to regulate the air.

Once you get the right amount of air the water level in the chamber stays constant so there should be no sucking noise from the air hole or line and since the water inlet is always under water, nothing fr there either.

On the outflow, I have my lines just a little below the sump level in a filter sock. Just because of the principle of a Durso (air and water) I'll get some gurgling.

The only truly silent overflow I've seen or played with is a Herbie and that on both ends.

One of my Dursos:

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/das75/two_inch.jpg

iansfishy
12-07-2008, 01:34 AM
ya mark. that seems to be the issue. it did quiet down alot. still not that quiet, but ill take what i can get. thanks alot foe your help.