PDA

View Full Version : Tank Broke

ganowicki
05-08-2003, 04:26 AM
That's right, my tank started leaking from the bottom. the good thing is it was only my 10 gal nano. right now my fish are living in a rubbermaid container, waiting for a new home. instead of resealing the 10 I decided to do something a little different. I made a new tank with the 10 gal footprint, but it is 20" tall. I just finished sealing the tank and I can't wait till it cures so I can put the fish back in and enjoy it again. Now the question..... It says 24 hours for curing on the tube of silicone, but I have been told it is actually 72 hours for a full curing to take place. anybody have experience with this???

Aquattro
05-08-2003, 04:30 AM
Gord, I'd wait at least 48hrs for a full cure. Seastar recommends 72 hours for bigger tanks, but 48 should be good for you.

Fishster
05-08-2003, 01:28 PM
I would agree 48 hours should be OK for such a small tank, but since it is 20" high you might want to wait an extra day. I usually wait a week before I fill new tanks.

Quinn
05-08-2003, 01:44 PM
any cause for the tank breaking? how old was it? was it on styrofoam? the slew of recent tank-breakings is worrisome.

Bob I
05-08-2003, 03:12 PM
That's right, my tank started leaking from the bottom. the good thing is it was only my 10 gal nano. right now my fish are living in a rubbermaid container, waiting for a new home. instead of resealing the 10 I decided to do something a little different. I made a new tank with the 10 gal footprint, but it is 20" tall.

That is an interesting configuration. That would make it a 20" x 20" x10" tank. The only problem I see is getting enough light on the tank because of the depth. I am also thinking aquascaping might be difficult in a tall narrow tank. I had a 15 high, which was 20" x 16" x 10", and I found that difficult to decorate. Just my two bits worth. :eek:

ganowicki
05-08-2003, 09:41 PM
the cause for the tank breaking is unknown, but it was close to 10 years old and no it wasn't on styrofoam. As for the aquascaping, I have a tall piece of tonga branch rock that I am going to use and lighting shouldn't be too much of a worry being that it is basically a FOWLR.