PDA

View Full Version : All the wrong info I can handle!

iansfishy
12-05-2008, 06:28 AM
So here in the puddle (WL) we have but one crappy salt tank in the pet store here. There are a couple people with tanks, but I know of only one other household besides my own that actually "care" about our tanks. That being said and talking to the girls at said pet store, other reefers in town really think they are unique in that they are the only ones with salt water tanks.
So today I am at the pet store returning a oceanic ballast that the owner wanted me to test on one of my 14G bio cube tanks to see if it worked. As im looking at their tank with my 2 and a half year old daughter, this women starts talking to me about the beautiful fish and corals that where in this tank. ( anthelia- that i had given them, bleached - if you can believe it GSP, a scrawny yellow tang, a arc eye hawk, couple of damsels and some crabs,snails oh and the ever present perc.) me not saying a word ,this wonderful women proceeds to tell me that she has this "huge" 75 gallon salt tank and it is really amazing and something to see. She then proceeds to inform me, my two year old, my wife and the young lady at the pet store that she would just love to take home the nice yellow "angel" fish as soon as the small "ich" spots on both sides of its tail are gone. On second thought she will take it because it was the only one of its species in the tank therefore it will not be able to "pass" the "ich on. for those not following it is a tang and she is looking at the caudel spines!! This women keeps saying "angel" fish and my daughter being a little abrassive and ornry (she is two!) keeps muttering something under her breath, until she finally very sternly says to the lady "TANG". no word of a lie. my wife just about wet her pants, and the lady not realizing what just happened shrugged it off. For those of you still with me theres more--. The young lady working there comes back with a net and a bag and tells this very nice women that this particular fish will like to eat letuce and is fond of dried seaweed. "thats ridiculous, who ever heard of putting those things in your tank, that will just mess up your water, if your working here you need to get your stuff straight before you go selling stuff to people", says the women. At this point my wife ushered me off and went back to save the poor girl. Two year old - 1. "experienced" fishkeeper- 0.! LOOOOONG story short-- the fish is still there, and my two typing fingers are tired!

tgoeujon
12-05-2008, 06:38 AM
woulda liked to have seen that

a4twenty
12-05-2008, 03:16 PM
The young lady working there comes back with a net and a bag and tells this very nice women that this particular fish will like to eat letuce and is fond of dried seaweed.

this is not only true but strongly recommended.

some tangs will eat lettuce and other veggies but you are far better off and there is much more nutritional value in feeding dried seaweed ( AKA nori ). most recommend feeding dried seaweed at least 3 times a week to strengthen their immune system and keep them fat and happy. my purple tang wont even wait for me to finish putting the nori in the tank before he attacks, absolutely loves it.

Leah
12-05-2008, 03:33 PM
Ouch!

lorenz0
12-05-2008, 03:46 PM
LOL wasn't expecting that. But so true. no matter what hobby your in your always going to run into people who "know it all" and are hard headed. I can't even stand listening to people talking about fixing car's. drives me up the wall

Jason McK
12-05-2008, 03:51 PM
this is not only true but strongly recommended.

some tangs will eat lettuce and other veggies but you are far better off and there is much more nutritional value in feeding dried seaweed ( AKA nori ). most recommend feeding dried seaweed at least 3 times a week to strengthen their immune system and keep them fat and happy. my purple tang wont even wait for me to finish putting the nori in the tank before he attacks, absolutely loves it.

I feed my tank dried seaweed every other day. All my fish go crazy for it.

J

Leah
12-05-2008, 03:56 PM
Mine get it everyday! As far as I know they like to graze! lol

Floop70
12-05-2008, 04:41 PM
Thanks for sharing. Even your two year knew what kind of fish that was... too funny. :D

So here in the puddle (WL) we have but one crappy salt tank in the pet store here. There are a couple people with tanks, but I know of only one other household besides my own that actually "care" about our tanks. That being said and talking to the girls at said pet store, other reefers in town really think they are unique in that they are the only ones with salt water tanks.
So today I am at the pet store returning a oceanic ballast that the owner wanted me to test on one of my 14G bio cube tanks to see if it worked. As im looking at their tank with my 2 and a half year old daughter, this women starts talking to me about the beautiful fish and corals that where in this tank. ( anthelia- that i had given them, bleached - if you can believe it GSP, a scrawny yellow tang, a arc eye hawk, couple of damsels and some crabs,snails oh and the ever present perc.) me not saying a word ,this wonderful women proceeds to tell me that she has this "huge" 75 gallon salt tank and it is really amazing and something to see. She then proceeds to inform me, my two year old, my wife and the young lady at the pet store that she would just love to take home the nice yellow "angel" fish as soon as the small "ich" spots on both sides of its tail are gone. On second thought she will take it because it was the only one of its species in the tank therefore it will not be able to "pass" the "ich on. for those not following it is a tang and she is looking at the caudel spines!! This women keeps saying "angel" fish and my daughter being a little abrassive and ornry (she is two!) keeps muttering something under her breath, until she finally very sternly says to the lady "TANG". no word of a lie. my wife just about wet her pants, and the lady not realizing what just happened shrugged it off. For those of you still with me theres more--. The young lady working there comes back with a net and a bag and tells this very nice women that this particular fish will like to eat letuce and is fond of dried seaweed. "thats ridiculous, who ever heard of putting those things in your tank, that will just mess up your water, if your working here you need to get your stuff straight before you go selling stuff to people". At this point my wife ushered me off and went back to save the poor girl. Two year old - 1. "experienced" fishkeeper- 0.! LOOOOONG story short-- the fish is still there, and my two typing fingers are tired!

fishoholic
12-05-2008, 04:44 PM
:lol: LMAO It's good to know that at least your two year old is smart!

argan
12-05-2008, 05:00 PM
That is really hilarious. Good post :lol::lol:

Jay180reef
12-05-2008, 05:14 PM
AHAHAHA, maybe that lady put all her money into her 75G instead of a computer or books.

Lance
12-05-2008, 05:24 PM
That story reminds of when I coached minor baseball a few years back. I had this kid on my team whose father had to continually tell me how he had played semi-pro ball in the Cincinnati Reds organization. He would have made it to the show but for the fact that he sustained an elbow injury and couldn't throw in the high 90's anymore.
Anyway, one day my helper didn't show up so I asked this guy if he wanted to help out with the practice. He hemmed & hawed and had all kind of excuses. Finally, some of the kids insisted he play because his son had told them how good a ball player he was.
Well, the guy totally embarassed himself. He had obviously never played ball in his life. He couldn't catch, throw or hit. He was so bad, that the 12 yr. old boys were laughing at him. I kind of felt sorry for him until he said, "I must be a bit rusty, haven't played for a few years."

Jay180reef
12-05-2008, 05:26 PM
Well, there's liars and there's ignorant.

Madreefer
12-05-2008, 08:09 PM
Your post is great. Sounds like Willys Puddle is no better than P.G. But here I have seen the people working in LFS with the same attitude and knowledge of the customer you are talking about.

ElGuappo
12-05-2008, 10:01 PM
Just an awsome thread. keep the stories coming..

You know like the one about the kid at an LFS that tried to coax a foxface into a net with his bare hand. :mrgreen:

mark
12-05-2008, 10:24 PM
It's not just in the little cities where you see this.

Often feel like should take these people aside and tell them about Canreef.com but then they'll be posting their expertise in no time.

Alberta-newb
12-05-2008, 11:36 PM
Great story! I'm still chuckling about it. Reminds me of the "expert advice" I heard at a major chain store. A guy was buying a bunch of live rock and he was asking the clerk for advice on how to best get it ready for his tank. The clerk replied to give it a good washing with fresh water to scrub off all the gunk. He asked "do i use distilled water?" She said "Oh no, just lay it out in the backyard and give it a good washing with the garden hose" Having lived in Calgary for quite a few years, I know how much chlorine is in the water during the spring! Took the guy aside and advised him if he didn't want a couple of hundred dollars worth of "dead base rock" he was best not to follow her advice:lol:

fishoholic
12-06-2008, 02:41 AM
Great story! I'm still chuckling about it. Reminds me of the "expert advice" I heard at a major chain store. A guy was buying a bunch of live rock and he was asking the clerk for advice on how to best get it ready for his tank. The clerk replied to give it a good washing with fresh water to scrub off all the gunk. He asked "do i use distilled water?" She said "Oh no, just lay it out in the backyard and give it a good washing with the garden hose" Having lived in Calgary for quite a few years, I know how much chlorine is in the water during the spring! Took the guy aside and advised him if he didn't want a couple of hundred dollars worth of "dead base rock" he was best not to follow her advice:lol:

:eek:

Myka
12-06-2008, 02:50 AM
Haha!! That's awesome that your 2 year old knew the fish was a Tang!!

Ken
12-06-2008, 06:02 AM
That scrawny yellow fish needs a lot of seaweed, I know a few 2 year old that knows most fish from watching finding nemo. Regards Ken

FitoPharmer
12-07-2008, 03:46 PM
sadly this kind of stuff goes on way too much in smaller pet stores. i love and have much respect for reputable dealers that wont order anything until they are fully understanding of every need the creature has and gives their customer a clear disclaimer as well if the fish is not an "easy" specimen to keep. i had a friend get in and out of SW very quickly because i told him that he need to keep his fish load low, but every other person told him, ah one more wont hurt until he ended up going through over 50 fish before his tank even was a month old. mainly because the other pet stores and even other people at the one i worked at would over stock tanks then under feed to make up for it and then have to force livestock on people without telling them what the fish truly needs just to keep the system from crashing or us loosing a bunch.

sharuq1
12-07-2008, 04:36 PM
give it a good washing with the garden hose:drinking: wow...just wow...

banditpowdercoat
12-13-2008, 03:57 AM
Ya Ian, I have had a couple run in's there myself. Now granted, I dont get to the TP as much as you do, Or maybe I do LOL. But ya, was looking at that Tang in there the last time. Almost did take it home, but we took the LTA and a small riccordia. Both are not so small any more LOL Oh ya, a sixline followed me home that day too :D He's neat to watch

banditpowdercoat
12-13-2008, 04:02 AM
Your post is great. Sounds like Willys Puddle is no better than P.G. But here I have seen the people working in LFS with the same attitude and knowledge of the customer you are talking about.

I was in the PG one a couple months ago. Now, I understand the shipping requirements and some extra costs. But DAYUM, is they aint over the top on their markup

rstar
12-13-2008, 08:05 AM
I have a story about when my father in law was first getting into the hobby. He was at a now closed LFS in the city i live near. He was ready to add live rock to his tank. This lfs sells him the rock for like $18/lb because all the rock was covered in this beautiful "glass coral" He get home with his rock gets it into his tank with all his other rock. Phones me to come check out this awesome rock with tons of "glass coral" on it. Im thinking "uh oh" so i go over there. Well he just bought like 20lbs of rock COVERED in aiptasia. I made him remove all the rock and take it back to the store. I accompanied him back to the store and gave them a little piece of my mind on selling aiptasia covered rocks to unsuspecting newbs as "beautiful" corals for $18/lb