PDA

View Full Version : Spongy Algae

sphelps
12-05-2008, 01:38 AM
Anyone have any experience with this kind of spongy algae??

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a174/sphelps/DSC_1755.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a174/sphelps/DSC_1756.jpg

I'm constantly removing it manually but it always returns. It seems to like to grow within the branches of SPS corals. It detaches fairly easily and grows in a spongy ball full of air.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

marie
12-05-2008, 02:05 AM
I used to have a green variety, very spongy. I kept manually removing it and haven't seen any in over a year.

I never did find out what it was :mrgreen:

Aquattro
12-05-2008, 02:05 AM
I've had it on and off, manual removal worked for the most part. Sometimes it would take months to get another ball form.

mark
12-05-2008, 02:08 AM
I have some very similiar that seems to like to grow within the stalks of Tubipora. Sort of a pale blue/green and if I leave long enough gets some filaments. Not slimy and feels like squeezing Jello.

No idea what it is but isn't spreading and like yours, ease to remove. Problem is I can't get it all, so grows back.

Jeff_
12-05-2008, 02:15 AM
I've had some in my tank, and If i don't remove it fast enough when it decides to grow on sps it will actually kill some of the tissue. Quite annoying stuff, not quite sure what it is either.

sphelps
12-05-2008, 02:18 AM
yeah I remove it manually weekly, I fill a 1L measuring cup at least half way every time. It grows very fast and I've been fighting it for about 4-5 months.

It kills the parts of the coral it attaches to so I'd really like to eliminate it once and for all. I would love to find something that eats it.

christyf5
12-05-2008, 04:23 AM
Wow I just removed a chunk of that last night, the weirdest thing. It was in the back 40 of my tank and I didn't even realize it was there. Mine was black looking though and green underneath. Weird :confused:

fencer
12-05-2008, 04:28 AM
Yes, this stuff you just have to pick off. In the end you will win. It seem to grow in cycles. Increasing Redox levels seem to help too.

marie
12-05-2008, 05:28 AM
Wow I just removed a chunk of that last night, the weirdest thing. It was in the back 40 of my tank and I didn't even realize it was there. Mine was black looking though and green underneath. Weird :confused:

Mine was the same, I just assumed the black looking part was just a really, really dark green

MikeP
12-05-2008, 03:48 PM
What about manually removing all that you can and then do a 2 or 3 day lights out period. That may help get rid of it for good.

Just a thought.

sphelps
12-05-2008, 03:55 PM
What about manually removing all that you can and then do a 2 or 3 day lights out period. That may help get rid of it for good.

Just a thought.
I'd be willing to give that a shot. I'm going to cut back my lighting period and next time I do a cleaning I'll be extra thorough and give the tank a few days of darkness immediately after.