PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Vancouver Island

djbravoleader
05-07-2003, 10:07 PM
Hi everyone, it's been a long time! My wife and I are moving to Vancouver Island in June and I have never been there. Does anyone have any information that could help? We will both be needing work and would like to know where would be the best area on the Island to find work? Any pet stores that are looking for a good worker with prior experience? Any help would be great! Thanks :)

rob100@telusplanet.net

Aquattro
05-07-2003, 10:14 PM
What kind of work do you both do? Victoria is bigger, but more expensive than say, Nanaimo. Are you buying a house, or renting a condo?

One_Divided
05-07-2003, 10:31 PM
It's not always easy to find work in victoria, but it sure is nice here.. I guess it all comes down to your past work experience and such.. As for local pet stores, you probably wouldn't even want to work at them..

Why the move over here if it's not work related?

djbravoleader
05-07-2003, 10:33 PM
I will be looking to rent , my wife and I have been Customer Service Reps. for (gulp) "Teuls" for the past couple years. I worked for the U.S Department of Defence for 6 years before I moved to Canada, then I worked as a mechanic at a local bike shop, Aquarium Store, Concrete work, landscaping, driving bob cats, security for a mall, E.M.R. and Telus. As you can see iv'e been here and there :)

djbravoleader
05-07-2003, 10:40 PM
(one divided)... We feel that we need a change from the city life and thought Vancouver Island had more to offer as outdoors go. I love boats and the ocean allot and miss being by the ocean (from living in Florida). We are both in our 30's and figured it was a better time than never to leave, we are both a bit scared about leaving good paying jobs in search of a happier life but then again "what's life if not lived". We are not looking to find high paying jobs our anything but we just need enough to get us by and put food in our mouth. :)

Aquattro
05-07-2003, 11:03 PM
Have you looked at the cost of rent here yet? With your background you shouldn't have too much trouble finding something to do. We have tons of bike shops, a few pet stores, a Telus branch office, etc. Rent is a bit pricey though!!

Doug
05-07-2003, 11:39 PM
I jealous. :smile:

Should have bought my brothers place in Parksville a few years ago when I had the chance. :sad:

Aquattro
05-07-2003, 11:43 PM

Should have bought my brothers place in Parksville a few years ago when I had the chance. :sad:

Doug, yes, you should have!! I was there last week....beautiful place :-)

StirCrazy
05-08-2003, 12:18 AM
hey, congrats.. If you move to victoria you will be living in the most expensive city in Canada to live in.

but it is nice if you don't mind 9 months of rain :rolleyes:

Steve

Doug
05-08-2003, 12:21 AM
and it was sooooo much cheaper then. :smile:

Yes, I remember how beautiful it was when I was there visiting. Always wanted to retire there. Have a little boat. Do some fishing for salmon or cod.

Now its just to damm expensive. I would have to work to supplement mother Inco,s pension and we could never leave our daughter & husband and our two little grandaughters.

Still can dream though. :biggrin:

EmilyB
05-08-2003, 01:06 AM

YOU jealous.... :razz: You seen the weather in the Calgary lately... :eek: :rolleyes: I saw your weekend forescast.... :cool:

"Goin' to Winnipeg"....... :mrgreen:

Doug
05-08-2003, 01:54 AM
Yea, its been nice here. But we dont have an ocean. You guys have been really gettin some kind of snow. :lol: The ranchers & farmers are happy though, after all the drought lately.

MitchM
05-08-2003, 02:11 AM
djbravoleader...Great choice! :cool:
I lived on the island for a year on my boat in Brentwood Bay......<sigh>....beautiful place to live. Economy's kinda slow moving.... landscaping season should be getting going there, though!

Good luck!

Mitch

StirCrazy
05-08-2003, 03:13 AM
The ranchers & farmers are happy though, after all the drought lately.

That was short lived, now most of my family is complaining that it will be to wet to get there crops in on time :rolleyes:

Steve

One_Divided
05-08-2003, 05:09 AM
Steve, your supposed to encourage people on decisions like these.. :confused: :razz:

I agree, you will have no trouble finding work.. Just make sure you're set for a couple months just in case.. We'll have frags waiting for you..

StirCrazy
05-08-2003, 01:34 PM
I am in a way.. it is a beautiful city, but it is expensive and it rains a lot in the winter.. but some people like rain better than snow. I just happen to be a farm boy from Alberta who prefers the snow because of the winter activities I am missing out of..

Also it should be noted I was forced to move here by my employment and that it wasn;t of my own free will :lol:

I am a rarity though almost everyone I know loves it here and that new cencus about Victoria being the most expensive city in Canada to live in.. well I don;t realy notice it, and I would have never thought it was more expensive here than Van or Ottawa ect..

I think if you are like most people you will love it here. Jobs can be hard to come by but I find that is mostly for people who don't have a grade 12 education (seam to be real bias about that here) other wise I would say if you are willing to work you will find a job (same as ayplace eh :mrgreen: )

Steve

djbravoleader
05-09-2003, 01:10 PM
We have decided to move to Victoria, seems to have more job offers at the present time. Thanks everyone for your feedback! See you soon :)

StirCrazy
05-09-2003, 05:53 PM
Cool, let us know when you get settled in.

Steve