PDA

View Full Version : acrylic gurus

christyf5
12-04-2008, 07:52 PM
I have a calcium reactor that had the base of the acrylic tube come off. How do I go about reattaching it? I have some weldon but was wondering if I need to lightly sand the tube before attaching or something??

Any suggestions would be great :biggrin:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/christyf5/reactora.jpg

brizzo
12-04-2008, 08:23 PM
Yikes, how did ya manage that? :razz:

Was it a nice clean break all the way around, and what type of Weldon do you have ?

StirCrazy
12-04-2008, 08:35 PM
use a scraper or file and lightly scrape it smooth and to get any glue defects off. then you should be able to just re-glue it.

Steve

fencer
12-04-2008, 08:57 PM
Weldon also has some very liquid glue. I used this to seep into the crack and then applied a thicker weldon in multiple layers over a period of time. Although a crazy glue might serve the same purpose.

christyf5
12-04-2008, 09:14 PM
It was a clean break. I took it on a trip to Vancouver for a potential buyer and then we never managed to meet up. Guess with all my purchases it got a bit jostled about in the back of the vehicle.

I'm not sure which weldon I have. I remember getting the "good one" but beats me. I think its 16 maybe? Should be interesting. Me and crazy glue not so good together. I think I'm the only person in the world that has glued their lips together (got some on my teeth and tongue too, that was interesting :rolleyes:).

StirCrazy
12-04-2008, 09:16 PM
I think I'm the only person in the world that has glued their lips together (got some on my teeth and tongue too, that was interesting :rolleyes:).

:eek: how cool is that a woman with her lips glued togeather :mrgreen:

Steve

christyf5
12-04-2008, 09:18 PM

Steve

oh Steve, it was only for a second and then I was back to yackity yack yack :rolleyes::razz:

ElGuappo
12-04-2008, 09:38 PM
:redface::lol::mrgreen:

Tom R
12-04-2008, 09:45 PM
Hi Christy

I have used Weldon and it was quite thick #? to fix a similar problem. I just put a good bead around the base and let it dry.

I have watched Chin Lee use the liquid Weldon to make a second stage for CA reactor and it looked quite easy as well.

Tom R

sphelps
12-04-2008, 10:34 PM
Weldon 16 is what you want, it's a thick gel and ideal for surfaces that aren't perfect but they still need to be flush and clean. If you can get the surface completely perfect you can use weldon 4 for a stronger seam. However 16 is available in a handy small tube. Any plastic supply store should sell it.

Lance
12-05-2008, 02:11 AM

Steve

Ha! Good One!

StirCrazy
12-05-2008, 01:55 PM
ok, so weldong 4 is what you want to use, but you need to be nice and flat all the way around. weldon 16 will fill small gaps but is not as strong as 4.

you want to get a pizza pan or something and put the weldon 3 or 4 in that. have some pins in there so when you place your top in the pan it is held off the bottom by the pins. (you only want the weldon to be about 1/16 of an inch above the bottom of the tube.) let it sit for about 30 seconds, then quickly put it back on the base and put a heavy book on top to hold it down. wait about 15 to 30 min and boom done.

Steve