PDA

View Full Version : LF-Someone with a Diamond Hole Saw and experience

GreenSpottedPuffer
12-04-2008, 06:25 PM
I am debating draining my new tank and drilling a second hole if I can find someone with a diamond hole saw and is willing to come by and drill the tank. It would be for a 1" bulkhead.

Say for $20?

Let me know. I am in Vancouver at 8th and Cambie.

I don't know when I would need it done but not for a few weeks I don't think.

Veng68
12-04-2008, 06:29 PM
PM Seahorse_Fanatic.

He has lots of experience and the diamond hole drill.

Cheers,
Vic

GreenSpottedPuffer
12-04-2008, 06:34 PM
Yes of course...Anthony. I forgot about that. Thanks.

GreenSpottedPuffer
12-04-2008, 09:24 PM
How hard is it to drill a tank? I may try myself....I am cringing at the thought though!

I heard thinner glass is harder. This tank is only 1/4" thick.

Phanman
12-04-2008, 09:37 PM
thinner glass is definitely harder... I broke 2 10gals a few weeks ago... just start on an angle so you get a groove going, then flatten out. Go SUPER slow and let the drill do all the work. Hardest part is when your about to go through the other side, so take extra caution there.

GreenSpottedPuffer
12-04-2008, 10:14 PM
thinner glass is definitely harder... I broke 2 10gals a few weeks ago... just start on an angle so you get a groove going, then flatten out. Go SUPER slow and let the drill do all the work. Hardest part is when your about to go through the other side, so take extra caution there.

Yeah...scares me. I think I will have someone else who has done it before give it a shot. I think I know someone who may be able to do it.

justinl
12-04-2008, 11:05 PM
my advice is to go to anthony and ask him to drill for you... and pay attention. ask for some pointers if he's willing. Then go out and get some scrap glass (usually easy to find used cracked tanks) and start drillin yourself. I've always maintained that practice and experience is the best teacher in most things in life. I seem to remember some people drilling from BOTH sides of the glass to avoid the problems of drilling one way through and chipping the glass on the opposite side; obviously you have to be super exact to get the holes to line up (easier said than done). other random tip was to keep the thing well-lubricated; having a hose on the drill the entire time is a good thing. as mentioned, let the bit do the work and don't be afraid of buying new bits for every few holes you drill; they wear out fast.

Veng68
12-04-2008, 11:12 PM
I helped (well more like held the template) Ant a couple months back.

Seems pretty straight forward.

I'd get him to supervise me though...... since I've never actually done the drilling.

Cheers,
Vic

brizzo
12-04-2008, 11:47 PM
Drilling isn't as bad as you might think, but you have to be very good with a drill to free hand it.

You need to drill the whole way as close to 90 degrees as possible, otherwise you are going to get 'blow out' on the backside of the hole.

Last night I was drilling a 20g, 3 holes .. Almost zero blow out, I was impressed! (Tank #6 under my belt), but of course there is drill from both sides, but very difficult.

BTW: Get the bulk head before you drill. Depends on the style, they need different hole sizes.

GreenSpottedPuffer
12-05-2008, 12:11 AM
Thanks guys. I had already spoken to Anthony and he is going to try to make it over to my place to drill it when he has time.

Rippin
12-05-2008, 07:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxnugJGiT3o

At about the 5:30 mark.
Biggest part about his method is that he is drilling down, not sideways.

He creates a "pool" around the hole for water (to cool the hole saw bit) using putty and tapes the opposite side of the glass with duct tape to minimize the blowout.