PDA

View Full Version : spotted sting ray

rex
05-07-2003, 09:38 PM
HI guys....i saw a spotted sting ray the other day and am considering purchasing one.......i am just wondering if anyone has heard or had any experiance with this type of fish(shark)....good or bad...thanks alot

Troy F
05-08-2003, 01:12 AM
If it's the blue spotted ray you're talking about the failure rate on this creature is high. Although I've never tried to keep anything like a ray, they need large tanks with plenty of open space on the sand bed.

UnderWorldAquatics
05-08-2003, 01:15 AM
I feel that the min floor space required to house a blue spot stingray is 36"x96" mabey 36"x72" with No obstacles. If you have that and can provide lots of seafood for it, I think they are great and fun to keep. Also need very very very good filtration.

smokinreefer
05-08-2003, 01:23 AM
awesome creature!
are you talking about the blue spot stingray? it will require quite a large tank, the more surface area the better, so please take that into consideration.
it can be very tame and makes an awesome "pet".
if you are able to provide suitable housing...be sure the ray is active and alert, full bodied (not thinning out and not thin in the snout area between the eyes) and eating.

not something to purchase on a whim.
and i agree, has been known to up and die, just like that...maybe a cyanide issue????

Pete
05-08-2003, 03:30 AM
i have one its great it will eat right out of my hand.
i really think you need one to.

rex
05-08-2003, 03:34 AM
i am getting a 90 or 72 gallon.........do u think that is a large enough size

smokinreefer
05-08-2003, 03:56 AM
sorry, but that would be cramped quarters.
you should pass this guy up.

Van down by the river
05-08-2003, 12:12 PM
Hello Rex,
I would resist the urge to buy it, Especially when you don't even have the tank setup yet. I will assume by the questions you ask, you are a novice aquarist, being so this is usually considered a expert only stingray.
Here's a site to help you id it:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/rays.htm

http://www.metridium.com/pnggallery/stingray.jpg
If this is the one, save your money. I would also like to point out that a 90 gallon is too small for any Shark or Stingray. Yes some Bamboo or Epaulette Sharks could survive as juveniles, but would quickly outgrow this system.

No, you can't just give it to the aquarium when it gets too big.

Yes there is always someone that will post a contradiction to every "difficult species" recommendation. I could say you can't keep Sperm whales in an aquarium and somebody, somewhere would say they have one! and it eats everything!!
Everyone believes THEY will be the exception to the rule.

Generally Rays demand large aquariums, Scott Michael recommends a minimum of 260 gallons for the blue spotted stingray and rates them as1-2
on a 5 point scale. 1=should be left in the wild 2= The occasional individual may adapt if special care is given.
"Wishing really hard" that it will do well does not qualify as special care.

The blue spotted stingray rarly eats in captivity, DO NOT BUY A RAY THAT DOESN'T EAT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. The feeding should be obvious.

I find they require fine sand as coral gravel is too abrasive on their skin resulting in red marks and bacterial infections. The aquarium should have little or no decorations/corals obstructing the bottom. Stingrays tend to be clumbsy and will abrade any obstacles within their aquarium. Careful choice of tankmates is also of a concern. Angels, triggers, sharks,etc can bite or nip at disk.

If you still are determined to get a shark or stingray, I strongly recommend you buy Scott Michael's Aquarium Sharks and Rays and read it thoroughly before you start your system and start buying livestock. I believe KE has a copy or two.

Here are some qoutes from Aquarium Sharks and Rays:

Most Common Selection Mistakes.

1- Buying a shark or ray on impulse,without knowing it's biology and care requirements.
2-Buying a species that will outgrowthe aquarist's tank and financial resources.

Some other qoutes from ASAR:
"Grows to 11.7"x27.3"

"Unfortunately,this ubiquitous and attractive ray has had a long history of doing poorly in captivivty. Often, individuals never accept foods; other times the do, but then suddenly die or cease feeding for no apparent reason."

Cheers

rex
05-10-2003, 05:24 AM
thank you to everyone for there insight in the stingray matter....however, van city by the sea your words are miniscule and sound futile. Sorry i don't have the experiance as you do as an aqaurist. *edited* *Once again, please refrain from personal attacks*
Finally thank you to Troy F, deepblueaquatics, smokinreefer and pete for your sincere and intellectualy replies

AJ_77
05-10-2003, 05:38 AM
rex, you gotta relax man. just because he's educated and has a ton of information doesn't mean he's bringing the hammer down on you.

you'll get a lot of different advice when you post a question. and he does people a favour by putting up info that they maybe won't go and find by themselves.

almost everyone here means well - i'd be more worried about Pete saying "i really think you need one too" cause that sounds like pulling your chain...

take it easy :biggrin:

Quinn
05-10-2003, 05:39 AM
*edited*

that's their insight... the choice of "miniscule" and "futile"? check oxford's on those two, you're not using them correctly. experience, not experiance. homosexual tendencies? sorry, gay bashing went out of style with mullets. van is, in my opinion, one of the most intelligent members of this forum. he is providing you with information you were too lazy to find yourself - perhaps you should reconsider keeping any fish at all, if this is how you will be treating those who make an honest attempt to assist you. oh, and you spelt aquarist wrong. and syntax can't resemble an intelligence...

Aquattro
05-10-2003, 05:46 AM
Gentlemen, please play nice....... :neutral:

rex
05-10-2003, 06:08 AM
*edited* Please read the user agreement.

Aquattro
05-10-2003, 06:15 AM
I thought I asked nice, did I not? I realise a few of you may not agree on the tone of the replies, but if you feel you must resort to name calling, please do so by either PM or email. Thanks a whole bunch!! :razz:

Van down by the river
05-10-2003, 09:11 AM
Wow, to reply or not to reply.

Just one thing, In the 6+ years of University it takes to get your DOCTORATE, did they not teach you how to spell it?

Anyways, you asked a question, I answered it with my opinion, based on the facts and experience available to me. Doesn't mean you have to listen.

Troy F
05-10-2003, 09:21 AM
Rex, I think you may have misinterpretted Vans response to be cocky but it's the best answer of the bunch. My hats off to him for taking the time to post all that information to help you make a more informed decision. He gave you the most important points from a $40 book for free. A good deal if you ask me.

Try to keep in mind that the internet is a difficult medium for discussion. What you may have taken as cocky may very well have been meant in a down to earth, helpful way.

Moo LAY s should remain out of style IMO :wink: .