PDA

View Full Version : Doing a Water Change...

rstar
12-04-2008, 12:56 AM
So im going to be doing a water change thats long long overdue, i've switched to RBS (was on sale at my LFS) Just wondering if there is anything that needs to be added to it (dkh, mag, calc) before i do the change!

Aquattro
12-04-2008, 12:58 AM
nope, you're good. Make sure temp and salinity match, do a smaller than normal change just to be sure the new salt doesn't do anything bad. I had no issues switching though...

sphelps
12-04-2008, 01:03 AM
nope, you're good. Make sure temp and salinity match, do a smaller than normal change just to be sure the new salt doesn't do anything bad. I had no issues switching though...
ditto

rstar
12-04-2008, 01:04 AM

Great, thanks for the quick reply, ill probably just do a 5gallon change (108 gallons total volume) for the first couple weeks!

Aquattro
12-04-2008, 04:17 AM
I did 20g for 150g total, no ill effects. Switched from Kent to RBS

superduperwesman
12-04-2008, 04:23 AM
Great, thanks for the quick reply, ill probably just do a 5gallon change (108 gallons total volume) for the first couple weeks!

yeah you could prob do more than 5 gallons. Thats not even 5 percent

rstar
12-04-2008, 04:28 AM
yeah you could prob do more than 5 gallons. Thats not even 5 percent

I havent actually done a water change in a while though, been busy with life, just got married 2 months ago and now we are pregnant so ive been neglecting that part of my maintainance, just dont want to shock the reef with clean water!!

superduperwesman
12-04-2008, 04:29 AM
I havent actually done a water change in a while though, been busy with life, just got married 2 months ago and now we are pregnant so ive been neglecting that part of my maintainance, just dont want to shock the reef with clean water!!

Yeah thats was I was thinking it might be better do one a bit bigger... if it's been a while, but I've only had small tanks so use your own judgment.

And she's prego... not "we"... it's only "thanks to you" ahah Congrats!

rstar
12-04-2008, 04:46 AM
Yeah thats was I was thinking it might be better do one a bit bigger... if it's been a while, but I've only had small tanks so use your own judgment.

And she's prego... not "we"... it's only "thanks to you" ahah Congrats!

Lol thanks Wes, she keeps saying "we" and it's "ours" when she is feeling good, but its my fault when she is sick, so i guess you are right, SHE is prego with OUR baby :mrgreen:

superduperwesman
12-04-2008, 05:10 AM
Lol thanks Wes, she keeps saying "we" and it's "ours" when she is feeling good, but its my fault when she is sick, so i guess you are right, SHE is prego with OUR baby :mrgreen:

ahah Yeah I was just teasing.

Trigger Man
12-04-2008, 05:13 AM
when I was using RBS i did find the calcium a little low, so I would dose extra calcium when doing my water changes. Great salt though.