PDA

View Full Version : salt creep on reflectors how to get off.

fishguy007
12-03-2008, 02:38 AM
anyone have ideas how to get salt creep off reflectors.

mine are no longer shiny. full of salt. i have power compact lighting.

i take it that the shiny reflectors will do better for the tank and lighting.

Diana
12-03-2008, 02:46 AM
Be very careful to avoid salt creep on lighting. You can run into electrical issues, as well as having metal components of the lighting corrode and thus be ruined. Salt creep damage is not covered under warranty for your equipment! Your right it also decreases the effectiveness of your reflector.

I would highly recommend some way to prevent salt from getting on your equipment, be it through some sort of aquarium cover or lens cover over the fixture.

If this is not possible, then cool off your fixtures and delicately clean the salt off the reflector, bulb, and socket using a damp (fresh water) cloth or rag (used for fish stuff only, no solvents!). Clean them as often as you can.

:)
-Diana

Powertec
12-03-2008, 02:50 AM
Diana is right.

I have always used vinegar and water as we'll. Seems to get it off pretty we'll also:)

Black Phantom
12-03-2008, 03:09 AM
Salt is very corrosive. Once it's gone through the finish it's not going to come back all nice and shiny. Best bet is to not let it get on there in the first place.

tang daddy
12-03-2008, 03:59 AM
I was reading a post on here that mentioned using reptile tank cleaner for the reflector and buff to a shine like new again maybe do a search on google or in the lowermainland forums there is a post on light meter further down that post had mentioned the cleaner used for his reflector cheers.

michika
12-03-2008, 04:16 PM
Vinegar & water works well.

Reefer Rob
12-03-2008, 07:12 PM
If it's just from salt water that's splashed on the reflectors and dulled them I've had good results using mag polish to bring the finish back up. (T5 reflectors)

Madreefer
12-03-2008, 07:25 PM
I removed my lens covers for my PC's on my fixtue. The lights are 5" above the tank and I use eggcrate as a cover. Am I going to run in to a problem with salt creep now?

RuGlu6
12-04-2008, 02:50 PM
If it's just from salt water that's splashed on the reflectors and dulled them I've had good results using mag polish to bring the finish back up. (T5 reflectors)

I also use T5.
Whats "mag polish" please?

Reefer Rob
12-04-2008, 03:48 PM
Used to polish mag wheels. Get it at Canadian Tire etc. I believe it's the Mother's brand that I used.

wickedfrags
12-04-2008, 03:51 PM
rubbing alcohol from the drug stores also works well.