PDA

View Full Version : Disease symptoms that I need to Id

Trigger Man
12-02-2008, 05:08 AM
So this happened to my Achilles tang;
It was breathing quick and heavy and not eating this morning, it was also not very active just swimming slowly around. The Achilles was not hiding in corners or gasping at the top of the tank. Till near death it continued to swim in the current. Yesterday everything was fine (as has been the case with this fish for the last month). By this evening the Achilles ended up dying, no discoloration or spots, etc. I did pick up a few corals yesterday, so I'm pretty sure there was something on them (I know should have dosed the corals before putting them in the tank, great idea in retrospect). As well my Kole tang is now acting the same way. I've got lots of alternating waterflow (35+) and have just completed a water change. All water parameters check out good.
Does anyone have any input as to what it is? I have been told it is probably Flukes, that were brought in by the newly acquired coral (being that it is only the tangs affected and they did pick at the mounting rock). I read up on flukes and the only symptom that checks out is the heavy quick breathing, but there was no color distortion and no rubbing against anything.
So what do you guys think? Any suggestions for treating the rest of the tank, or is it just plenty of water changes? Here I thought corals could only affect other corals.

Pan
12-02-2008, 08:19 AM
So this happened to my Achilles tang;
It was breathing quick and heavy and not eating this morning, it was also not very active just swimming slowly around. The Achilles was not hiding in corners or gasping at the top of the tank. Till near death it continued to swim in the current. Yesterday everything was fine (as has been the case with this fish for the last month). By this evening the Achilles ended up dying, no discoloration or spots, etc. I did pick up a few corals yesterday, so I'm pretty sure there was something on them (I know should have dosed the corals before putting them in the tank, great idea in retrospect). As well my Kole tang is now acting the same way. I've got lots of alternating waterflow (35+) and have just completed a water change. All water parameters check out good.
Does anyone have any input as to what it is? I have been told it is probably Flukes, that were brought in by the newly acquired coral (being that it is only the tangs affected and they did pick at the mounting rock). I read up on flukes and the only symptom that checks out is the heavy quick breathing, but there was no color distortion and no rubbing against anything.
So what do you guys think? Any suggestions for treating the rest of the tank, or is it just plenty of water changes? Here I thought corals could only affect other corals.

http://www.reefcentral.com/wp/?p=377