PDA

View Full Version : DIY ground probe?

tgoeujon
12-02-2008, 03:02 AM
any suggestions on how to make a ground probe. it seems simple but i just was hoping for some tried and proven ideas.

Thanks
Trevor

mark
12-02-2008, 04:01 AM
I was going to make one with a titanium bike spoke but then I just bought a probe for $5 (was on sale).

tgoeujon
12-06-2008, 02:16 AM
ok so i went out and bought the rid- volt ground probe. if anyone has this one, am i supposed to cut off the rubber plug parts or not?

FitoPharmer
12-06-2008, 10:54 PM
leave them on.

mike31154
12-07-2008, 02:37 AM
Where/how is a grounding probe hooked up?
Edit, never mind, I'll google.
Edit again.... Ok so this thing plugs directly into a wall receptacle??!! You better hope the plug is well made so there's no leakage from your house wiring back into the tank!!! And make sure the receptacle you're plugging into is properly wired.

mark
12-07-2008, 03:14 AM
Where/how is a grounding probe hooked up?
Edit, never mind, I'll google.
Edit again.... Ok so this thing plugs directly into a wall receptacle??!! You better hope the plug is well made so there's no leakage from your house wiring back into the tank!!! And make sure the receptacle you're plugging into is properly wired.
The only pin that's connected is the ground

mike31154
12-08-2008, 12:26 AM
The only pin that's connected is the ground

Yes, thanks, understood. I'm just thinking out loud that folks should ensure that whatever receptacle they plug the grounding probe into is indeed properly wired, especially in older homes. All it takes is for a hot wire inside the receptacle to short to the ground connection and you could end up with high voltage feeding back through the probe into your tank. My home is around 1960s vintage and I'm in the process of upgrading the wiring. A number of new three prong receptacles had been installed into boxes without grounds by one of the previous owners. So although the receptacles looked like the grounded kind, they were not! Some of my bedroom receptacles were two pin only.

For those thinking of installing a grounding probe, if you're not absolutely sure regarding the integrity of your household wiring, at minimum get one of those receptacle testers which indicate if the receptacle is properly wired. For true peace of mind, get an electrician and/or trip the circuit breaker, pull out the receptacle you intend to use and inspect the ground connection. I probably wouldn't plug the grounding probe into a power bar or receptacle multiplier either.

tgoeujon
12-08-2008, 12:41 AM
i just had the whole basement and fish room built from concrete up so i know the electical is brand new and wired properly for the job:biggrin:

mike31154
12-08-2008, 12:46 AM
Right on.