PDA

View Full Version : Siphon Break in Loc Line?

GreenSpottedPuffer
12-02-2008, 12:35 AM
My return is PVC straight up the back of the tank where there is one 90 elbow to get parallel to the top of the tank and then from there the rest is Loc Line.

My problem is, where to I drill a siphon break? Right in the Loc Line? I really don't want to but it seems that is the only place. The 90 elbow is sitting ontop of the trim, so can't be drilled or the water trickling out will just go down the back of the tank.

Or do you think I should just keep the Loc Line right at the water surface so back siphoning is not a real issue? I guess it would give great surface agitation. The return pump is quite small and I am not relying on it for flow at all but the extra flow behind the rocks was going to be nice.

What do you think?

mark
12-02-2008, 12:46 AM
why don't you run your pump, top up the sump to normal level then power off adjusting the Locline to get an how much backflow your sump can handle.

GreenSpottedPuffer
12-02-2008, 12:49 AM
why don't you run your pump, top up the sump then power off adjusting the Locline to get an how much backflow your sump can handle.

Yeah thats a good idea. My sump can handle a decent amount for sure.

I was just hoping to keep the return quite low in the tank pointed behind some rocks but I don't have to. The sump for sure would not be able to handle that kind of back siphon.

sphelps
12-02-2008, 01:52 AM
I have mine setup so the locline nozzles are just piercing the water surface, gives a cleaner look and you don't need to drill holes. I've always seen problems with siphon holes, they require constant cleaning to keep them from clogging and they can sometimes create a little rippling noise. It's kind of like relying on a check valve, best to avoid them all together.

trilinearmipmap
12-02-2008, 03:45 AM
I have a 1/4" or so hole drilled in my Locline but I like sphelps' idea better and when I re-do my plumbing that is how I will do it. No worry about the siphon brake hole blocking and less ugly plumbing in the tank.

GreenSpottedPuffer
12-02-2008, 05:09 AM
I have mine setup so the locline nozzles are just piercing the water surface, gives a cleaner look and you don't need to drill holes. I've always seen problems with siphon holes, they require constant cleaning to keep them from clogging and they can sometimes create a little rippling noise. It's kind of like relying on a check valve, best to avoid them all together.

Yes this is how I ended up setting it up. Seems the best.

No back siphon, nice surface agitation and creates an insane amount of shimmer now from the halides. Plus as you said, You don't notice it at all.