PDA

View Full Version : Stressed Yellow Clown Goby?

Oscar
12-01-2008, 09:31 PM
Last week I added a yellow clown goby to my tank, only the third fish to date.

Back in July I added 2 clowns who at first hosted to the branching frogspawn. After the pulsing xenia forest grew in size both clowns started to host the xenia full time. Quite interesting to see their sleeping positions at night.

When the goby was added he immediately hosted to the frog spawn and was very well hidden. But the clowns were not impressed. They pestered the goby until he sort of gave up the frogspawn, although I still see him in there time to time.

Now the goby spends most of his time adhering to the back wall of the tank.

In hindsight I guess I should have waited until I had some SPS for the goby to perch on.

He is eating well but will he be unduly stressed not having an SPS to perch on?

Oscar
12-02-2008, 11:41 AM
Any thoughts?

naesco
12-02-2008, 03:47 PM
Stick in any thing that has branches. Even a dead acro will do. They are a bit like birds and need something to perch on. I think they feel safer.
Feed her a leat two or three times a day and watch that the clowns don't eat all the food.

workn2hard2day
12-02-2008, 06:22 PM
pm'd you a long rambling response. :lol:

mseepman
12-02-2008, 06:54 PM
Oscar, I have a yellow clown goby and just last week I added a perc to my nano. Without a doubt they compete for food, so I would follow the advice above and make sure you feed enough to guarantee the little guy gets some.

Oscar
12-02-2008, 07:23 PM
Oscar, I have a yellow clown goby and just last week I added a perc to my nano. Without a doubt they compete for food, so I would follow the advice above and make sure you feed enough to guarantee the little guy gets some.

Yes I have been watching the feeding very closely. He seems to be getting lots, especially when I feed mysis. Pellet food is another matter.

I thought he would perch on a rock outcrop but that has not worked. I will have to get some branching acro I guess.

grant

workn2hard2day
12-03-2008, 01:29 AM
I couldn't figure out how to post a pic. in the thread. So I posted it to my album. I hope you can figure out what it is :smile:. Did you try to call J & L?

Oscar
12-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Thanks for posting the photo. No I have not called J&L, it has been a crazy week. I think I will have to get some acro or something similar for him to perch on.

Oscar
12-03-2008, 11:41 AM
Stick in any thing that has branches. Even a dead acro will do. They are a bit like birds and need something to perch on. I think they feel safer.

I will try to find something locally, even if it is a bit of fake branching coral for the short term.

workn2hard2day
12-04-2008, 10:05 PM
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k38/WORKN2HARD2DAY/YG.jpg

this is what I have for my CG to perch in.

mseepman
12-04-2008, 10:13 PM
Although I have branching SPS in my nano tank, my CG tends to perch on the rock itself and/or my monti-cap.

Oscar
12-05-2008, 01:19 AM
Although I have branching SPS in my nano tank, my CG tends to perch on the rock itself ....

That's what I was hoping for. He started to perch on rock for a few minutes at a time yesterday. I will see what is happening later today when I get home.

Oscar
12-05-2008, 01:20 AM
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k38/WORKN2HARD2DAY/YG.jpg

this is what I have for my CG to perch in.

It is a tiny photo but can anybody ID the structure the clown goby is perched in?